Kahr P380 - Initial Range test - FAIL - Page 2

Kahr P380 - Initial Range Test - FAIL

This is a discussion on Kahr P380 - Initial Range Test - FAIL within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by USPnTX What do you guys think? Post photos when you get the pistol back and try it again....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P380 - Initial Range test - FAIL

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    What do you guys think?
    Post photos when you get the pistol back and try it again.

I've had no problems with either my CW9 or my PM9. The OP's problem is not in how he racks or chambers the first round. That would have nothing to do with a light firing pin strike. His problem is somewhere else, either the firing pin itself or something else internal.

I wouldn't give up on it yet. Send it back, when it comes back to you, take it to the range and try it again. I'm sure it'll do better the next time around. Also, Kahr recommends 200 round break in period. I would stick with FMJ ball ammo for the break in period and don't waste your hollow points.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

This is what scares me about Kahrs, partiularly their smallest models. Every company makes lemons, and I know smaller weapons firing full power rounds will be more prone to problems, but this company's track record of lemon guns seems more extensively documented, and widespread, than any other maker in their price range. It just seems crazy to me that the buyer should have to really take a chance on whether a modern, well designed handgun that cost over $600 will work or not. Like many others I really want to like Kahrs, I've held the MK9 multiple times and it is soooooo sweet. I just don't know if I ever can bring myself to plunk down $700+ for one with all the possible Kahr goblins lurking about. Hope yours works out.

Ex Member
    I have REALLY wanted a Kahr for years, BUT these reports keep me on the sidelines. With a $200 Kel Tec you expect problems, on a 'higher end' pistol it should go BANG right out of the box. I know they have a warranty but there could be a time when hearing a CLICK instead of a BANG could ruin your whole day.

IMO, no gun should need a break in period. You just need to test your carry ammo. Kahr needs to polish their own dang slides. They cost enough. I've never owned a gun that did not work from round 1. Maybe I'm just lucky. If you feel you need to put 1000 rounds through a gun to see if it works buy another gun.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Well I guess only time will tell whether this one goes back to the dealer I bought it from. Kahr should have it in their hands tomorrow and start the diagnosis process. I'll let you guys know what happens!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

+1 on the comment regarding price and performance.

Taurus seems to have the same performance issue reputation, and they are 1/3 the price of Kahr. I was lucky with my PT-709 slim and have had 0 issues at all, and was looking closely at the Kahr380 for my next purchase...but they are retailing close to $550 in my neighborhood, and that is compared to the $230 KelTec, and the $320 diamondback, or something close to that name.

The rough fit and finish of the KelTec actually turned me to the Taurus, although it is closer in size to my Glock 26 than a pocket pistol...so I am still in the hunt for a pocket auto.

Just when I thought the extra cash for the Kahr would be worth it from a reliability perspective... I read about your issues! I can't even find a Sig 380 around here, and the few shops that have them want $650+ for them... is Sig the only game in town for a 380 that works? Keep us posted on the result of the return!

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    +1 on the comment regarding price and performance.

Taurus seems to have the same performance issue reputation, and they are 1/3 the price of Kahr. I was lucky with my PT-709 slim and have had 0 issues at all, and was looking closely at the Kahr380 for my next purchase...but they are retailing close to $550 in my neighborhood, and that is compared to the $230 KelTec, and the $320 diamondback, or something close to that name.

The rough fit and finish of the KelTec actually turned me to the Taurus, although it is closer in size to my Glock 26 than a pocket pistol...so I am still in the hunt for a pocket auto.

Just when I thought the extra cash for the Kahr would be worth it from a reliability perspective... I read about your issues! I can't even find a Sig 380 around here, and the few shops that have them want $650+ for them... is Sig the only game in town for a 380 that works? Keep us posted on the result of the return!
    If this thread had been about a Taurus, you'd be advised to burn it at the stake and undergo an exercism to remove the demons. Then you'd have to write, "I'll never buy another Taurus" 9,000 times. But since it's not, you won't get that. My 709 has been sweet from the 1st trigger pull through # 1200. Hope you get it worked out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    - Unfortunately, the Sig P238 isn't immune to problems either. There have been a few threads on DC about them.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If this thread had been about a Taurus, you'd be advised to burn it at the stake while yelling NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN and undergo an exorcism to remove the demons. Then you'd have to write, "I'll never buy another Taurus" 10000 times. Plus undergo hypnosis to FORGET it ever happened But since it's not, you won't get that.
    Quoted for truth (though SLIGHTLY modified) Hope they make it right for you, Kahr has a great CS department.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me from buying a Kahr after my last encounter with them.

I get so tired of hearing people bash guns they don't own. My PM9 has been flawless since round 1. As far as loading correctly, this is just to keep people from riding the slide. ANY GUN will misfeed if you ride the slide enough. My small tight PM9 works like a charm is you slingshot it correctly, or just use the slide release. I'm sure they'll make it right and you'll be happy with your purchase!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

i have had some friends have probs with there khar's(cw40,cw9,and pm9) everyone but the cw9 coem back from the factory good to go. the cw9 had same issues and one new one. i have shot all of them but i have never liked the triggers on them compared to my glocks! as far as pocket pistols go you wont find a great trigger but for a bad trigger i can buy a few kel tecs and they have all worked but one p3at that a friend gave me cause he owed me money and didnt liek it anyway but he bought it used so you never know how it was treated or what it went through. with that said i hope you have good luck with it when it comes back. from the odds i have personally seen they come back from the factory mostly good to go! if it wont take 200-500 rounds clean i would nto carry it for SD. like some have said any gun can be bad or a lemon but for the money i will stick with the cheaper ones just in case that way i ant out as much!! stay safe
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

I'm soooo glad I got a PM9 that was virtually perfect out of the box. A few FTFs in the first 100 rounds because it was very tight and needed some break-in smoothing. No problems since. I should surpass the 3500 round count with it tomorrow. I carry it every day, mostly as primary/only gun and sometimes as a BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    IMO, no gun should need a break in period.
    I thought the same thing when I was MUCH younger. Now that statement is just

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links