Kahr P380 - Initial Range Test - FAIL

This is a discussion on Kahr P380 - Initial Range Test - FAIL within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At present, I own the following Kahrs: K-9 Stainless "NYPD," P-9, PM-9, Wilson Combat K-40, MK-40 and P-9. Previously, I have owned two other K-9s, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kahr P380 - Initial Range test - FAIL

At present, I own the following Kahrs: K-9 Stainless "NYPD," P-9, PM-9, Wilson Combat K-40, MK-40 and P-9. Previously, I have owned two other K-9s, one black oxide, one black Titanium, and a P-40 Covert. Not one of them has ever malfunctioned. Not one, not once, and I've never worried about the Kahr-recommended 200 round break-in period. I sold one of the K-9s because a friend just HAD to have it (I'd serrated the front of the trigger guard, and he fell in love.). I sold the titanium K-9 because somebody wanted to pay lots more than it was worth, and the P-40 Covert because .40 S&W is just more horsepower than I find controllable with the stubby PM-length grip. Unfortunate about the Covert, too, because it was my most accurate Kahr ever. Maybe I've just been lucky, but every Kahr I've owned has been functionally flawless with every kind of ammo I've fed them, and they have been accurate. I've shot everything in them from Blazer 115s to WW 127gr. +P+ RA9TA. I personally know one person who had a bad experience with a Kahr (defective, rough barrel) and have read many of the net posts about various functional issues. I have carried and continue to occasionally carry all my Kahrs, and since I recently got a beautiful holster and mag pouch from Gary Brommeland for my K-9, I'll be carrying it even more. Your results may be drastically different, but all my Kahr data points are in the positive sector.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Well, my P380 is in the hands of the gunsmith and we will see what he decides is wrong with it. I appreciate all the posts and will update as information comes up.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    JohnLeVick ,

You mentioned two Kahrs I've never heard of; the Wilson Combat K-40 and the titanium K-9. Can you expound on these please. Were they factory offerings, special runs, etc.?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I've had no problems with either my CW9 or my PM9. The OP's problem is not in how he racks or chambers the first round. That would have nothing to do with a light firing pin strike. His problem is somewhere else, either the firing pin itself or something else internal.I wouldn't give up on it yet. Send it back, when it comes back to you, take it to the range and try it again. I'm sure it'll do better the next time around. Also, Kahr recommends 200 round break in period. I would stick with FMJ ball ammo for the break in period and don't waste your hollow points.

^^^^^This is what I was thinking^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I'm afraid to drop money on a PM9 now....
    I got a new PM-9 a couple of years ago. I had maybe 5 FTF in the first 50 rounds. After that, no problem.
    I think the reason Kahr recommends loading the first round using the slide release is because the gun is small and the recoil spring is so &%#@ stiff. It's easy to limp wrist it.
    There are lots of Kahr fans. I thought I found the perfect carry pistol until I got my Sig 238, another one that gets grief, but mine has been flawless.

So I got my .380 back from Kahr about a week after I sent it in for repairs. I immediately opened the package to see what had been repaired. I was surprised that the only repair that was noted was "replaced barrel and test-fired". I have to say for whatever reason I had a bad feeling about the pistol after reading that they had only replaced the barrel. So off to the range I go - 200 rounds in hand and my "repaired" P380.

With all the discussion about how the Kahr cannot be slingshot, I followed the directions and locked the slide back, then loaded the magazine and inserted it into the grip. Utilizing the slide release I loaded the pistol. I took a good firm two-hand grip and squeezed the trigger - Nada So I dropped the magazine, ejected the live round (which had a dimpled primer), locked the slide open. Re-inserted the magazine and utilized the slide release to load the pistol again. Take another firm two-handed grip and squeeze the trigger - Nada. I repeat this procedure through a full 50 round box of ammo and a partial box of another brand. After the dust had settled (and my blood pressure began to return to normal) 35 light strikes and 20 rounds downrange.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed that the pistol came back to me exhibiting the exact same issues (if not worse). I can somewhat understand how changing the barrel would fix the problem, however if it was a chamber reaming issue - I don't think that the problem would be intermittent. So, I feel that they really didn't look the gun over like they should have. In fact, I feel they wasted my time and theirs but not adequately checking that the pistol worked.

Solution - took the P380 back to the gunstore where I bought it and spoke with the general manager. He is a great guy and basically said "tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it". After we spoke awhile about what I was looking for I ended up buying the Rohrbaugh R9. I went directly to the range and fired 200 rounds through it. It functioned flawlessly, has a good feel to it and is accurate enough. So there ya have it! My experiment with the P380 just didn't work out for me. I can see why folks love 'em (if they actually work), but for me it was a total failure!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Needless to say, I was very disappointed that the pistol came back to me exhibiting the exact same issues (if not worse). I can somewhat understand how changing the barrel would fix the problem, however if it was a chamber reaming issue - I don't think that the problem would be intermittent. So, I feel that they really didn't look the gun over like they should have. In fact, I feel they wasted my time and theirs but not adequately checking that the pistol worked.
    - That is absolutely inexcusable. Did they even test fire the gun to make sure it works? I'll have to say that I'm a little disappointed with Kahr since their CS is usually outstanding.

I ended up buying the Rohrbaugh R9. I went directly to the range and fired 200 rounds through it. It functioned flawlessly, has a good feel to it and is accurate enough. So there ya have it! My experiment with the P380 just didn't work out for me. I can see why folks love 'em (if they actually work), but for me it was a total failure!!
    - That sounds like a great dealer. It's good to hear that you were able to get the Rohrbaugh. Did you get an extra spring for it? I think that the recoil spring life is very short.

The pistol comes with two magazines and an extra recoil spring. The guy I bought it from said that he has 500 rounds through his and still hasn't changed the recoil spring. Not sure I would want to test fate and not change it when recommended however. Changing a recoil spring every 200 rounds does sound excessive though!

The pistol comes with two magazines and an extra recoil spring. The guy I bought it from said that he has 500 rounds through his and still hasn't changed the recoil spring. Not sure I would want to test fate and not change it when recommended however.
    - You could always just keep one spring for carry only and keep using the other springs until you actually have problems.

Changing a recoil spring every 200 rounds does sound excessive though!
    - Unfortunately, all of these micro guns are very tough on spring life. Kahr recommends changing their springs ever 1500 rounds or so.

OP - Sorry to hear, but I'm not surprised. My Kahrs went back and forth so many times to Kahr that I lost count. They were never able to solve the issues I had, with either pistol. I finally resorted to a personal conversation with their SALES VP, which resulted in a new gun - which still didn't work like I wanted it to. Needless to say, Kahr is off my list forever.

Good luck with the R9. I've been tempted to buy one myself, but some owners have reported that they can be finicky about ammo. For the money, I can buy two LCPs, lasers, and holsters - which is exactly what I did!

All the best!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Thanks 10thmtn - I think this R9 is exactly what I was looking for. I just need to get a really good pocket holster for it now!!

Thanks 10thmtn - I think this R9 is exactly what I was looking for. I just need to get a really good pocket holster for it now!!
    - I don't own one of his holsters, but Meco Holsters have very good reviews.
    http://mecopocketholsters.com/index.htm

USPnTX - I bought a pocket holster from Jim at www.hiddenholsters.net (his #6, with a thumb push-off added) and really like it. As a matter of fact, I've ordered another for the left pocket. Only down side is 6+ week wait time...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

thanks for the information guys!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links