Kahr P380 - Initial Range Test - FAIL

This is a discussion on Kahr P380 - Initial Range Test - FAIL within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally decided to add another pocket pistol to my collection. I have been eyeing the P380's for some time but just couldn't justify it. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P380 - Initial Range test - FAIL

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

Kahr P380 - Initial Range test - FAIL

I finally decided to add another pocket pistol to my collection. I have been eyeing the P380's for some time but just couldn't justify it. While in my local "Candy" store I came across a P380 for a pretty good deal. I decided to pull the trigger and went home with a new pocket pistol. I really like the way the Kahr feels - it has a nice balance and heft to it (especially for a pocket pistol).

I took it to the range the next day hoping that it shot as good as it felt. Loaded up one mag with Corbon Pow'R Ball and the other mag with Winchester PDX1. Insert the mag, rack the slide and squeeze the trigger.....nothing but a light click. Hmmm......rack the slide again - ejecting the round I just dropped the hammer on and I see a very faint firing pin impression. When its all said and done the pistol had about a 10% fire rate. Call Kahr and they send me out a prepaid airbill to ship it back to them. It arrives today.

I really want this pistol to work. I really like the size, balance and the way it pocket carries. I have never had this happen with a gun I owned and I'm really thinking that I should send this one back and stay away from the brand. At the very least I will increase my normal carry break in from 500 rounds to 1000 rounds. So now the wait begins!

What do you guys think?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

GM
    All mechanical devices can fail. I am sure they will help you; Kahr's are very good weapons and the customer support is very good. BTW, you say “…Insert the mag, rack the slide and squeeze the trigger.....nothing but a light click. Hmmm......rack the slide again …”; did you read the owner’s manual, specific the part about racking the slide?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    All mechanical devices can fail. I am sure they will help you; Kahr's are very good weapons and the customer support is very good. BTW, you say “…Insert the mag, rack the slide and squeeze the trigger.....nothing but a light click. Hmmm......rack the slide again …”; did you read the owner’s manual, specific the part about racking the slide?
    Not to be a smart ass, but what about racking the slide does he need to know? Does he have to have the slide racked and open and then insert a mag for the first 500 rounds? Would that be the super duper Khar break in period?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

With a Kahr you dont want to "rack" the slide back.... you need to use the release. A least until its broke in and you practice the action. I can rack my CW9 but I have to do it correctly. I know that sounds strange but if you don't pull it completely back while pushing the grip forward it wont feed the round completely.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Not to be a smart ass, but what about racking the slide does he need to know? Does he have to have the slide racked and open and then insert a mag for the first 500 rounds? Would that be the super duper Khar break in period?
    Excerpt from Kahr’s owner’s manual:
    “Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the Slide Stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery.”
    --end of excerpt--

Sure you can chamber a round by racking the slide, but it has to be done in the right way, otherwise it might not work.

Kahr recommends a 200-round break in period.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    I really want this pistol to work. I really like the size, balance and the way it pocket carries.
    That weird Thats the same way I felt about the two Kahrs
    I owned ----And Sold!!
    Sorry to hear about your trouble and I hope they can make it
    right for you.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

With respect to how to properly rack a slide -- I tried loading the pistol with the slide locked back and by racking the slide. Neither way seemed to affect whether or not there was a light strike. I would assume that "cocked" is cocked. There really shouldn't be a way to intermittently half cock a striker fired weapon.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

If the slide doesn't completely close there should be a safety that will not allow the firing pin to strike,Is this a new gun,or a used gun that somebody might have bubbad up and got rid of
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Send it back to Kahr. They have a very good record of fixing things. I am loving my P380.

More importantly let us know how it operates upon return.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If the slide doesn't completely close there should be a safety that will not allow the firing pin to strike,Is this a new gun,or a used gun that somebody might have bubbad up and got rid of
    Its a brand new gun. I hear what you are saying about the safety for the firing pin, however that type of safety mechanism should keep the striker from moving at all.

I'd clean the firing pin channel and make sure it's not saturated with oil or residue, then give it another try. If oil gets in the channel it can cause the FP to not function properly resulting in light strikes. This is a common problem with the Kahr pistol. I use grease on my CW9 to avoid that issue right there.

Good Luck

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm 0 for 3 with Kahr. Never again.

I do hope they fix yours, but your post reveals some of the frustrations with this brand. You will have to fire a lot of ammo through it before you regain confidence with it. That takes time, and money. You cannot load it using the method most trainers recommend - using the overhand method. This means a manual of arms that is different for this pistol than for most others. Will you remember that under stress? I wouldn't.

Best of luck, but Kahr is off my list for good.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    ... P380 ... 10% fire rate ... Call Kahr and they send me out a prepaid airbill to ship it back to them. I really want this pistol to work.

What do you guys think?
    Yup. BTDT. Am vetting a badly-behaving P380 right now, too. Kahr has seen it. It's jamming and not extracting/ejecting well. No light pin strikes, though.

What do I think? I'm three for three with Kahrs, having bad failure rates. Lots of people have exceptional performance with them. I'm sure I could buy/sell/buy until I find something other than a lemon, which might well be the next Kahr purchased, but who's to say. With a P380 and CW9, that's plenty for now. After the P380 gets resolved, I'll go from there. I would much prefer to have a functioning P380 and PM9 in the stable, ultimately. I'm assuming I'll get there at some point, but I hate spending so much time and effort on the long and arduous break-in periods with these puppies. Might well skip the brand entirely, if the P380 can't be made right.

Sorry to hear you're having similar woes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm afraid to drop money on a PM9 now....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Just so you know that not all experiences with Kahrs and negative..... I have a PM9 with ~500 rounds thru it. Not one failure of any kind. It eats everything I feed it, FMJ and HP. No issues with feeding using either method. Sorry so many are having problems!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links