This is a discussion on 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is kinda a extention of another thread but I have my 1911 choices down to 2 guns. 1. Colt series 80 with a Wilson ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

This is kinda a extention of another thread but I have my 1911 choices down to 2 guns.
    1. Colt series 80 with a Wilson combat drop in grip safety new grips and a trigger job.
    2. Taurus with wilson match grade barrel, wilson guide rod and recoil spring, and then a trigger job and then new grips.

Both guns are brand new and I have priced the parts from a distributor and the Taurus will acually be about $150 more as listed above. I am not sure which way to lean the good ole colt or a taurus sleeper???
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    This is kinda a extention of another thread but I have my 1911 choices down to 2 guns.
    1. Colt series 80 with a Wilson combat drop in grip safety new grips and a trigger job.
    2. Taurus with wilson match grade barrel, wilson guide rod and recoil spring, and then a trigger job and then new grips.

Both guns are brand new and I have priced the parts from a distributor and the Taurus will acually be about $150 more as listed above. I am not sure which way to lean the good ole colt or a taurus sleeper???
    Who's doing/did the actual work on the guns? Why are the guns getting different upgrades?

Go with the original and get the Colt. Hands down.

Colt above and beyond

I would buy all the parts online and have my gun Smith handle it. I was ready to go colt 100% but the idea of a gutted Taurus as a sleeper caught my attention. I want to buy one or the other this week and finish upgrades before Oct1.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Who's doing/did the actual work on the guns? Why are the guns getting different upgrades?
    My gun Smith will and didn't think the colt needed upgrades like the Taurus would.

kpw
    My gun Smith will and didn't think the colt needed upgrades like the Taurus would.
    That should tell you something right there.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sponsor
    I have both, COLT COLT COLT!

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

JD
    Administrator
    I would buy all the parts online and have my gun Smith handle it. I was ready to go colt 100% but the idea of a gutted Taurus as a sleeper caught my attention. I want to buy one or the other this week and finish upgrades before Oct1.

OK, this comes off as one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while, I don't mean to sound rude or anything but this stuff just doesn't jive.

If you're going to have a gun built, have it built right, why a drop in beaver tail instead of a properly blended beaver tail? Why be willing to go for an upgraded aftermarket match barrel in one, but leave the stock barrel in the other? Why invest "X $" into a Taurus? Sleeper gun? Who is going to think it's a sleeper? The Taurus is thought my some to be all that and a bag of chips, I'm not one of them and would not invest that level of work into a Taurus, besides, if you're going to do all that, you might as well spring for refinishing as well.

All that aside, neither gun really NEEDs those upgrades, other than the beavertail on the Colt, all the other stuff is just fluff. Pending on what Colt you buy, some of the newer ones all ready have a proper beavertail, why not buy one of those like the Combat Elite?

As for match barrels, They may give a little edge, but in most cases persons would be better off in putting the $$$ on the cost of a barrel + fitting into a holster and 6 quality magazines from Wilson etc. Getting a good stable of mags would take priority over all the other fluff.

My advice would be to buy the Combat Elite, spend a lot of time getting used to it, get good mags. Spend three years researching what options you like/dislike and then have the gun changed.

I've got more to say, but I'm making dinner and it's time to start the chicken cooking.

To Be Continued.

Thanks for the info. I guess colt wins! Other than a proper beaver tail what does it need? I am stuck on the series 80 all stainless cuz I have one at the shop and that means DISCOUNT!

Administrator
    "My advice would be to buy the Combat Elite,"

Ditto JD & then only make further alterations or modifications if you feel that you need them.

Example: After shooting the firearm for a while you decide that you would prefer a short trigger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Of your two choices I would go with the Colt, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

If I was looking to spend around $800 or so dollars I'd probably get a Springfield "Loaded" Model and be done with it. Not knowing the quality of the work I'm leery to give the nod to either gun.

EDIT TO ADD: The Taurus will be a Taurus, no matter what you drop in to it.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 31st, 2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: see above

Get the Colt !!!!
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Of your two choices I would go with the Colt, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

If I was looking to spend around $800 or so dollars I'd probably get a Springfield "Loaded" Model and be done with it. Not knowing the quality of the work I'm leery to give the nod to either gun.

EDIT TO ADD: The Taurus will be a Taurus, no matter what you drop in to it.

Biker
    The colt's only gonna run me like $700 ish

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks for the info. I guess colt wins! Other than a proper beaver tail what does it need? I am stuck on the series 80 all stainless cuz I have one at the shop and that means DISCOUNT!
    The only thing it will probably need is a gentle dehorn, Colts come edgy, if you prefer one style of sights over the other those can be changed very easily. Grips? We could post for days just on possibilities, I prefer products from VZGrips, but opinions vary greatly on those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links