Sig Sauer P238 Range Report

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P238 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out and about the other day and my local gun shop had a brand new Sig Sauer P238 Two Tone with night sights ...

Thread: Sig Sauer P238 Range Report

Sig Sauer P238 Range Report

I was out and about the other day and my local gun shop had a brand new Sig Sauer P238 Two Tone with night sights on sale for $399. I couldn't pass it up.

I took it to the range today and put 50 rounds of American Eagle FMJ and 20 rounds of Winchester PDX1 through it. I was very impressed with the light recoil and accuracy. I set up a sillouette target at 15 feet and started shooting. The only issue I had was a stovepipe due to what I believe is my thumb resting on the slide catch lever.

My best group was about 2 inches and a rather nice double tap head shot about an inch apart. Out of all the tiny .380s I have fired, the Sig is by far the best. One handed is very controlable too. This little beauty will always be in my pocket from now on.

Also, polishing the trigger sear makes a good trigger even better.

2. Remove Ads

Can someone explain to me how the Sig 238 works mechanically. I have never owned a 1911 style pistol.

Is this DA on the first shot and then SA after that? or do you have to have the hammer down safety on at all times because the trigger is always SA.

Basically I guess what I am asking is if the hammer is not cocked, can you fire the weapon? These just seem mechanically different to me than other guns I have owned which were either DA then SA, or SA only.

It is SAO (single action only). You carry it cocked and locked. If the hammer is down it will not fire. I know it is kinda scary at first, but the Sig has a very nice working safety.

yup that would freak me out I think.

I have been pockey carrying my P238 for about a year now. It is just heavy enough ofr me to be able to shoot it well and frequently and light enough to keep with me all teh time, even when lounging around the house. I will never sell mine.

Sweeeet deal. I don't think I would have passed that up either.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    Very nice deal. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Single action only, so you have two choices. Cocked and locked or hammer down on an empty chamber. In that condition, you will have to rack the slide before it will fire. With the hammer down, the trigger will not move.
    Personally, I love mine. It has all the features I like and none of the bad habits of a mousegun.

$399 with night sights? That's a steal!!!

Heck of a deal you got on that one, and glad it ran like it should....... My suggestion load that bad boy with the Buffalo Bore 100gr +p stuff and know that it's a pocket powerhouse and a sweet shooter. Some are having issues with theirs and that's a pain, but mine has been flawless and like someone else said, "I'll never sell mine". Congrats on a fine pistol and an ever better than average price. When I read what you paid for it, it made me wonder if it was new or used, then I thought, who cares as long as it ran like it should.

Oh, and cocked and locked in the pocket, no big deal. Just use a holster and carry nothing else in the pocket and no worries.

Good luck with your new Sig..

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

=[ i want a mouse gun with niight sights for 400 dollars...

VIP Member
    I've got one, I like it, but...I won't ccw with it. Range gun only. I've got 300 - 400 rounds thru mine. Sweat pistol when it works, accurate too. But a PIA when it jams - which happens at least once in every box of ammo. Jams bad too - double feeds on top of the empty brass. Only way to clear is drop the mag. Fun range gun, but no way am I betting with it when the chips are down.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I've got one, I like it, but...I won't ccw with it. Range gun only. I've got 300 - 400 rounds thru mine. Sweat pistol when it works, accurate too. But a PIA when it jams - which happens at least once in every box of ammo. Jams bad too - double feeds on top of the empty brass. Only way to clear is drop the mag. Fun range gun, but no way am I betting with it when the chips are down.
    Which model do you have? I've read that the HD model's have had most of the problems.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

It was brand new for that price. Still in the baggy with tags and grease on it. I don't think its the HD. What does the HD stand for? Anyway, here is a pic of a nice group.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    It was brand new for that price. Still in the baggy with tags and grease on it. I don't think its the HD. What does the HD stand for? Anyway, here is a pic of a nice group.
    HD is their Heavy Duty model, slide will say HD on the slide and is a thicker slide if it is brand new. Seems like the frame should be SS as well.

Links