Makarov hot 380

This is a discussion on Makarov hot 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saved myself some money this year. I typically carry anything in the winter months when jeans are the norm inside the pants holster style ...

Thread: Makarov hot 380

Makarov hot 380

I saved myself some money this year. I typically carry anything in the winter months when jeans are the norm inside the pants holster style ballistic nylon clip that works both with or without a belt and I have holsters in all three sizes I need and a couple of leather custom jobs made specifically for two models I own by a guy out of NC I met at a gun show who has his own small business. The way I saved money was In the summer time because I wear shorts almost all the time when off I carry either my Air weight SW 638 or my Ruger SP101 357magnum both awesome and easy to get to but I got caught up in the pocket 380 ACP craze though I never really had much joy for that caliber for protection that's just me. I had it narrowed down to the Diamondback the Ruger LCP and the Keltech 3AT then I wen't through the "well if it's going to be a 380. maybe it should be one that has higher capacity" like the Bersa Plus or the Taurus PT 58 or a used Beretta 84 Cheetah. Then I was on the page "well if it's going to be a 380 of those sizes heck they are not much smaller than my already owned G27 a much formidable round" ....you see where all this is going? HaHaHa. So with my "waffling" I ended up getting a light bulb moment and realized,,,hey,,,I have a little shooter that when I have ammo for I love to shoot that is awesome accurate, and never once jammed on me even with that crappy corrosive foreign ammo, my Bulgaria Model Makarov 9x18 that sits in the safe because I always forget to buy ammo for it on my outtings of late. This is a hot smaller framed pistol that answers my needs (now that Summers over). The other good thing though the ballistics are not much hotter than the standard 380 automatic colt pistol round, it is a bit hotter and puts my concerns to rest a little. At least it's something I already own and trust. Oh well better late than never, I figure there will be a few more off days where the weather is still shorts weather.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

2. Remove Ads

Oh by the way, also instead of the much discussed saving money because I did not purchase the pocket poly wonders I wen't out today and purchased a box of "Winchester" Q load Makarov 95 grain full metal jacket ammo (real brass). I might not be like the rest of the Cops in my area who carry one of those poly wonder back up pocket guns aforementioned but at least my Makarov is on the Exotic side. I also love Winchester Ammo so it all worked out.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got a CZ-82 in 9x18 Mak and I thoroughly enjoy shooting it! With 12 rounds in it, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it. I've been adding trimmed 9mm Luger brass to my reloads and they feed fine. I need to find a sourse of HP bullets for SD rounds, but I don't think I'd want to "intercept" the lead reloads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    +1 for the CZ 82. 12+1 and about the same size as a Bersa Thunder 380. In fact I carry mine in a holster designed for the Thunder 380.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd run the Buffalo Bore +p stuff in that bad boy and call it a day.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'd run the Buffalo Bore +p stuff in that bad boy and call it a day.

The Mak's are fine firearms. I bought a couple beauties back when you could buy them for under $200. I wish I would have never of sold them. The only problem might be not having a huge assortment of ammo. I had no idea that BB was doing a 9x18 but it has been awhile since I have been to their site. I have a few 380's and all I will carry in them is their 380acp Gold Dots. They have better ballistics than a 38 special Hydrashok and my P232, NAA Guardians and Bersa love them.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    The Mak's are fine firearms. I bought a couple beauties back when you could buy them for under $200. I wish I would have never of sold them. The only problem might be not having a huge assortment of ammo. I had no idea that BB was doing a 9x18 but it has been awhile since I have been to their site. I have a few 380's and all I will carry in them is their 380acp Gold Dots. They have better ballistics than a 38 special Hydrashok and my P232, NAA Guardians and Bersa love them.
    I agree totally. The Buffalo bore stuff really adds some punch to both the 9x17 and the 9x18 rounds. I trust um and don't feel under gunned at all with um in my PPK and Sig 238.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

For conventional ammo in smaller calibers I tend to like to stick with the hardball full metal jacket stuff for protection.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    The Makarov .380 gave me memories back in 1997 when trying it out at the range from a friend of mine, now living in FL. Very pleasant to shoot and for the first time shooting a .380, I never noticed the light recoil and it also sounded like a firecracker. Only thing I didn't like about the Makarov is its mag release beneath the pistol grip, which only allows your supporting hand to press it. Other than that, it's a fine quality .380.

I've fired a lot of the Russian 9x18 (Makarov) Silver Bear ammo in my CZ-82 and a Hungarian PA-63, and never had a single problem. No FTF or FTE. Both the FMJ and HP work well, but I prefer to carry the FMJ for self defense.

J&G in Arizona sells this ammo for about $120 per case of 500 rounds.

FWIW, I think the Makarov is a great civilian self defense load that works in concealable handguns.

gold40

Links