S&W 442; no lock

S&W 442; no lock

This is a discussion on S&W 442; no lock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a S&W 442, locally, no internal lock, used for $379. I dunno, is that a good price or no? I went in looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 442; no lock

S&W 442; no lock

I found a S&W 442, locally, no internal lock, used for $379. I dunno, is that a good price or no?

I went in looking for an LCR or SP101. No SP101, they had an LCR, then I spied the S&W; wondered if I found something special, since it had no lock.

A new 442 goes for $479, same shop.

whaddaya think?

ETA: the tag said 442-1; I'm guessing for airweight?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Very good price. I picked mine up for $399 New about 4 months ago.
    Last edited by MNBurl; September 2nd, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I would have jumped on that. I was looking pretty hard for one of those awhile back. The funds just aren't there for a purchase like that right now. DARN!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Very good price. I bought mine new (with lock) for close to $500. Jump on it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I found a S&W 442, locally, no internal lock, used for $379. I dunno, is that a good price or no?

I went in looking for an LCR or SP101. No SP101, they had an LCR, then I spied the S&W; wondered if I found something special, since it had no lock.

A new 442 goes for $479, same shop.

whaddaya think?

ETA: the tag said 442-1; I'm guessing for airweight?
    The -1 at the end is kind of a revision/change number. The first model run of the gun would be a 442, when something got changed, they marked them 442-1.

Administrator
    Its a deal assuming its in good shape.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Since it's a used gun, you might be able to talk the price down a tad more. Dealers are usually flexible if they believe they're close to a sale.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I guess it's in good shape; it functioned well when I dry fired it. The action felt smoother than the new LCR.

I really don't know what to look for on a revolver. The LCR's cylinder seemed to rotate a little sloppy compared to the 442; the cylinder looked clean, there wasn't any visible holster wear.

I asked them if they'd make a deal on it, but they said no. Maybe if I had the cash in hand, they would be ready to make a deal.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Smith and Wesson has a $50 rebate on the J Frames, also, Cabellas sent me a cash card if I spend $500 before Oct. 1 they will put $150 on the cash card for next visit to spend, then they sent me a $20 off a $100 purchase on line or in store. check it out.

Did it have +P on the barrel?

I have seen older ones without the lock that did not say +P on barrel and some recent ones rated for +P made without a lock.

Mine with lock about 4 or 5 years ago was close to 350 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Did it have +P on the barrel?

I have seen older ones without the lock that did not say +P on barrel and some recent ones rated for +P made without a lock.

Mine with lock about 4 or 5 years ago was close to 350 out the door.
    The salesman said it was rated +P, but I didn't look for it specifically. I'm going to drop by today and look at it again, I'll look for the +P.

anything else I ought to look for?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Good shape? Yes? Buy it! Very good price.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

If it was new it would be a bargain, used it is about average for my area. I am not a fan of the air weights. Sure they are lighter, but this usually makes them a bear to shoot, and accurate double taps are almost impossible. When it comes to a handgun I prefer the extra weight of a all SS gun provides, less recoil, especially with 357, or +p 38 rounds, this also allows for rapid and accurate double taps with practice. For me the ultimate wheel gun is the S&W 649. You don't see a lot of these, but they have a concealed hammer, with just a knurled hump showing so you still have the ability for SA shots, but nothing to snag on. I can't tell you how many people I have seen at our local range come in with their airweights because the guy behind the counter recommended it and see them jumping all over the place, even closing their eyes when they fire the weapon. If they work for you, that's great, but they aren't for everyone, also if a gun isn't enjoyable to shoot how much range time do you think the owner will give it?? YMMV
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Well, I couldn't decide what to do. So I flipped a coin

They weren't budging on the price at $379; so I told them I had cash... They dropped it to $365 to get me out the door at $400 even.

Stay tuned for pics...

You did great. I wish I had gotten mine out the door for anywhere near that price. S&W j frames go high in my area for hours in every direction.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links