Taurus 24/7 owners

This is a discussion on Taurus 24/7 owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My buddy and I were in the gun shop today taking care of a transfer they're doing for me and we did some "winder shopping" ...

Thread: Taurus 24/7 owners

Taurus 24/7 owners

My buddy and I were in the gun shop today taking care of a transfer they're doing for me and we did some "winder shopping" while we were there. My buddy absolutely fell in love with the new Taurus 24/7 .45ACP that he held.

For those who have or have had one of these, what are your thoughts, experiences, and observations with this weapon?

I've seen all of the anti-Taurus stuff, so I'd really like to limit the conversation to experiences with this particular weapon itself, not the manufacturer. Thanks for your help.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Hey Dude,

Thank for the inquiry. I have had a Taurus PT 24/7 40 S&W stainless for over a year. During that time, I have had no problems whatsoever with the pistol. I have put about 400-500 rounds of ammo, various manufacturers, various weights. I realize that it is not a .45ACP, but a 40 S&W is closer than a 9mm.

That being said, and based upon my previous Taurus experience, I then purchased a Taurus PT 709 slim 9mm. That little CCW was a different story. It would balk and jam, mainly FTEs, with most commercial ammo. I had been told that the small semi-autos were pretty finicky about the type of ammo. I eventually had to send it back to Taurus for warranty work. It took them about 2 weeks to replace the ejector, and return it to me.

The 24/7 still shoots like a champ, eating any and all ammo. The 709 is behaving much better after the repair.

HTH,
    boomer

Thanks for the post. I've got a 709 with 1200 trouble free rounds through it right out of the box, but I've seen a lot of people who have had problems. I don't recall seeing any negative experiences with the 24/7 line, but when you have the DC resources available it never hurts to ask.

I have to say I really liked the pistol myself. My buddy has a .380 and a huge .44 magnum revolver (one for home, one for carry) but he REALLY likes the .45 ACP because that's what he had in Vietnam and trained with. He loves the round, but doesn't want to carry a 1911 (he told me the story about when he came home he found his 1911 packed in his stuff and gave it back to the army...he said too many things he didn't necessarily want to be reminded of happened with it to keep it). I could tell how much it was calling his name. He's a great friend, and I'm compelled to buy it as a gift to him as my way of saying "Thank You" for his service to our Country and for being the only brother I've ever known (not actually related brother, I don't have any of those). I'm not sure if that would fly with the paperwork, but he has his CHP, so he can buy it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I purchased a PT 24/7 Pro duo-tone 45acp about 18months ago. I haven't put many rounds through it(300-400rds) put it as not given an ounce of trouble. I cleaned and lubed it prior to firing it and clean it about every 100rds. or So. I cleaned it about every thirty to forty when I was first breaking it in, it is my beside gun and I have an insight M6 Tactical Light/laser which fits perfectly. I have found it to be just as accurate as my S&WM&P which is my current everyday carry.

My 24/7

I recently traded my 24/7 Taurus in 45 for a Taurus 9mm for my wife. I was sort of sad to see it go, mine shot well and functioned just fine. I had ONE fail to feed issue, I was shooting up some really dirty firing ammo (I forget now what it even was) and the feed ramp looked like a dirt road and I had one round not chamber. I cleared it and it shot fine after than even. People seem to be very hit and miss with Taurus but I dug mine. And 12+1 of 45 with a 12 round spare mag really felt like plenty of ammo to me.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

I had a Taurus 24/7 OSS in 9mm. I thought it was an extremely comfortable pistol to hold and shoot. I found out the hard way that you have to do a thorough de-greasing of Taurus pistols before shooting them. I had numerous problems with mine, but I can't really say it was the guns fault. Nevertheless, it made me dislike the gun. After I put about 300 rounds through it and after several thorough cleanings, it functioned properly. I decided that I did not like the super long take up on the trigger and sold the gun. (I also shot better with a beat up old CZ-75 rental gun.)

My buddy has a 24/7 OSS .45 and it works well and feels good. Like pangloss9, I don't like the trigger. Everything else is nice though. If he ever decided to sell it I may buy it from him. The biggest problem is there are not many bolsters made for that thing.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Links