Beretta Storm subcompact vs Taurus pt 140

This is a discussion on Beretta Storm subcompact vs Taurus pt 140 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just unloaded my Taurus PT709slim. Just didn't like the way it shot. Shot flawlessly though. I am going to go buy another gun tomorrow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Storm subcompact vs Taurus pt 140

I just unloaded my Taurus PT709slim. Just didn't like the way it shot. Shot flawlessly though.

I am going to go buy another gun tomorrow and I have narrowed it down to these two.

The Beretta the problem is the safety flicks up, where as my pocket carry Beretta Bobcat flicks down. I think this would be a muscle memory issue.

No problems there with the PT140, it also is a higher caliber in .40 so more firepower, it's lighter, about $200 less expensive.

Does anyone have some feedback owners of either of these pistols.

And yes, I know some people hate Taurus, but I have had 3 now, and they all have always gone bang, every time. I was going to use the PT 140 for EDC probably IWB and range work. I went with the .40 instead of the .45 because of the difference in ammo prices. You can get 50 federal FMJ from wally's world in .40 for about $15 so I could stockpile it, and then a few good self defense rounds.

2. Remove Ads

Buy the Beretta PX4-SC.... great gun, no issues, good quality. IN comparison to me... there isn't one, the Beretta has it hands down.

The idea is to push the safety off with your finger as you go to grasp it and unholster it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I suppose my muscle memory could be taught small gun safety push is down big gun safety push is up.

God I do love the feeling of the Px4 but ive heard its a bit to big for concealed carry compared to the Taurus.

VIP Member
    I have the PT145 Pro which is basically the same as the .40. I have had no issues with it and carry it quite a bit in my pocket with a Ross Leather pocket holster or IWB with a Kholster. This is a easy size to conceal and still big enough to enjoy shooting.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I also have both the Beretta Bobcat and the Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact

My first Beretta was the Bobcat and I got use to the safety clicking down. When I got the PX4 Subcompact I thought I would have trouble with the transisition to the safety clicking up but it was no problem. I think that most guns that have a safety (or decocker) click up. The PX4 Subcompact has been my EDC for about 8 months now and I shoot a minimum of twice a week. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at the 3 o'clock position about 10 hours a day and it is very comfortable. I also shoot some type of fun competition shoot two or three times a month. I stick with the Crossbreed IWB for the competition. I'm a little slower on the draw but I'm sure it helps my every day carry.

I did get mine in 9mm because of 1) the price of ammo and 2) the magazine holds more 9's than 40's. I've heard that Wally World has the Federal 9mm at $8 for the 50 round box. I bought 2,000 rounds there about 3 months ago at $9.50 but I'll probably get more this weekend.

Yes, I know that the ballistics on the .40 are a little better than the 9mm. However, I've got a friend who owns a tactical school that I attend frequently and he says that very few people can shoot as well with a .40 as they do with the 9mm because of the recoil. Then they start anticipating the recoil and it gets worse. By the end of a 200+ round day, their arms and hands are aching.

IF shot placement is more important than ballistics, I want to be able to be able to shoot 200 rounds of 9mm every time I go to the range.

During the last ammo crunch, I could still get 9mm ammo somewhere. .40 was really difficult to find. IF that happens again, and it might, I'll be glad I've got the Nine.

Which ever you get, you'll love the Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Buy the Beretta PX4-SC.... great gun, no issues, good quality. IN comparison to me... there isn't one, the Beretta has it hands down.

The idea is to push the safety off with your finger as you go to grasp it and unholster it.
    +1

Totally agree...love my Storm sc, great quality, flawless.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

I should be hitting the local gun store tomorrow. Im thinking of this as an early bday/i just got unengaged present to myself and im leaning to the storm. Everything ive read says its accurate, reliable and mean. Im thinking 9mm now as well. Save some money in the long run and more practice on shot placement like the poster above said.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I suppose my muscle memory could be taught small gun safety push is down big gun safety push is up.

God I do love the feeling of the Px4 but ive heard its a bit to big for concealed carry compared to the Taurus.
    UP ? Its push it forward for off, back for safety/decock on. Are you talking in holster ? ... then the way you are saying it works.

I didn't buy the PX4-SC to conceal carry, but ..... I found it conceals so easily compared to other things, shoots so great, it's a primary CC weapon now. They conceal very easily to me. May depend upon your body build, size and clothes, but it conceals great for me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sorry I just mean it handles differently than the Beretta Bobcat.
    Up down, well we will see tomorrow i am gonna check it again.

Maybe ill have some good pics for tomorrow.

Best of luck! I got my Px4-SC recently and have shot it only a little so far, but boy does it shoot "easy"! Mine originally displayed some of the decocking issues others have reported, but it seems to be OK now. I hope you've read up on that issue & can check your pistol in the store to ensure it's not symptomatic. OTOH, maybe it's been addressed already at the factory.

My CCW is due-in any day now, and this Beretta will wind up in my rotation for sure after I put another couple hundred rounds thru it. It's ugly as sin, but when I want "pretty" I can carry my two-tone 84FS :-)

I chose the 9mm for all the reasons you stated, such as cost, availability, and easy shot recovery, and I simply refuse to worry that quality 9mm ammo leaves me at any crucial disadvantage. I know everybody is concerned about a worst-case bullet sponge BG, but I figure (1) those odds are very, very high in my favor, and (2) the likelihood that I can put a couple more 9's downrange probably negates the minor advantage of a slightly increased caliber. Of course, my views on sidearm effectiveness honestly just do not presuppose that "instant stop" is the only acceptable outcome. Best outcome? Sure. But to me, a win is a win, and a win is whenever and however the BG or BGs quit, run, stumble away, or drop. But that's a discussion for another day, another thread ;-)

Hope you can share impressions of your new pistol when you get a chance. Congrats.

Not here to bash Taurus but I had a Pt 140 for quite a while. Then the spring and guide assembly broke and their customer device jerked me around for weeks then sent me the wrong parts at MY cost.

So I traded it and got $225 for it towards a px4 Storm. Wow, what a great gun. While it is full sized and a bit tougher to conceal, the 17+ 1 capacity more than makes it worth it. It shoots wonderfully and is solidly built. It is light years ahead of my old Pt140. The SC is also a great gun although it has the tilting barrel instead of the rotating one.

You wont regret getting the beretta and will probably never go back to the bull.

Seriously?? This doesn't even rise to the level of "no brainer" to me. This is crazy easy. Go with the Beretta Storm sub compact.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Bought the Taurus.

Shot both guns at the range and the storm just didnt feel anywhere near as good in my hand as the Taurus.

Ive had great success with Taurus in the pass and There is always the lifetime warranty to fall back on. Cant wait to shoot it next weekend. Its really well put together gen 3 and its so tightly machined I can tell it needs a couple hundred rounds to break it in.

Looking for holsters now.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Here's my thoughts:
    I owned a Taurus pt140, and indeed it had no issues. The issue for me is psychological. At the time, I was going on the Taurus forum, and all was reading was negative...people sending out their guns for repair, taking up to 3 months to get back only to find the gun still didn't work. Things like recoil springs flying through the front were reported......Even though my gun had run flawlessly, I didn't trust that it would work if I ever needed it.

I really don't care for guns with safeties, but I do own a few. I personally would get the Beretta and if concerned about the safety, I'd simply carry it with the hammer down, safety off. I have several guns in that configuration, and that's how I carry them.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I own a PT145 and PT140. Both have acted flawlessly, both are daily carry (145 for me, 140 for the wife). No issues at all.

Roughest part (for me) is finding good leather or accessories for the PT145 or 140.
    The will to win is meaningless without the will to prepare! -- Joe Gibbs
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live. -- Douglas Adams
    What's the best gun to have in a gun fight? The one you have on you!

P90DC, LCP, PT145, PT140, LCP, Rem 870 and so on and so on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links