Taurus Slim 740

Taurus Slim 740

This is a discussion on Taurus Slim 740 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed one of these last week at my LGS; didn't pay too much attention to it as I wasn't overly excited about the limited ...

Thread: Taurus Slim 740

Taurus Slim 740

I noticed one of these last week at my LGS; didn't pay too much attention to it as I wasn't overly excited about the limited 6 round capacity. I noticed on Bud's website that they are advertising them with both 6 and 8 round magazines. Does anyone have any confirmation on the 8 round mag? That could be just enough to push me over the edge :)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62647
    M&P9C

gtv
    I saw one at a LGS, too, recently, and I really want to like this gun: it feels really good in the hand, looks to be well-made, has pretty good sights, and I like the .40 S&W cartridge a lot. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it is a Taurus, and while I have not had any issues with the brand in the past, I hear enough about the QC issues of late to wonder if it would be worth the potential hassle.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by gtv View Post
    I saw one at a LGS, too, recently, and I really want to like this gun: it feels really good in the hand, looks to be well-made, has pretty good sights, and I like the .40 S&W cartridge a lot. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it is a Taurus, and while I have not had any issues with the brand in the past, I hear enough about the QC issues of late to wonder if it would be worth the potential hassle.
    I had the 709 Slim and loved how it felt but I too am a huge fan of the .40 and now have nothing but .40s, the 709 was a good pistol but now belongs to someone else.
    M&P9C

I saw a taurus slimline 9mm at my local gun shop for 429.00 I was like ***! It's a nice gun but way to costly for another concealed carry weapon.
    One more step and it's on!

My LGS had it for 379/SS 369/Black
    M&P9C

I just sold mine. Trying to buy on U.S. made guns. It was a nice shooter. I paid 319 for mine, it was the Stainless model.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I have the PT709 and have shot over 1700 problem free rounds out of mine. I would like to try the PT740 if given the chance. God Bless

I own two Tauri, a stainless PT 24/7 40S&W and a blue PT 709 slim 9mm, had them both for over a year now. The 24/7 has been a dream, no issues, no problems, it just works. The 709 has been a different story. I think that I got an early 709. I had heard that the small semi-autos could be finicky about the ammo used. I loved the look and feel of the pistol, but found out it was real finicky about the type of ammo shot. Finally, I experienced constant FTEs, with all commercial ammo. I sent it back to Taurus for warranty repair. I had a good experience with Taurus customer service, very helpful. It took them about 2 weeks to replace the ejector and return it to me. Since then, the 709 has performed without incident, but my confidence in the pistol isn't there yet.

I have also seen the ads for the new 740. I like the idea of a 40S&W in that small frame size. However, based upon my past experience, I would wait awhile before picking one up. Let them work out the bugs first.

Agree about waiting. From personal experience, it seems most gun makers (even Glock seems to have had a few issues with their new Gen 4 pistols!) have issues with new gun models. Give it a good year. Let the bugs get worked out.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

Quote Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
    I own two Tauri, a stainless PT 24/7 40S&W and a blue PT 709 slim 9mm, had them both for over a year now. The 24/7 has been a dream, no issues, no problems, it just works. The 709 has been a different story. I think that I got an early 709. I had heard that the small semi-autos could be finicky about the ammo used. I loved the look and feel of the pistol, but found out it was real finicky about the type of ammo shot. Finally, I experienced constant FTEs, with all commercial ammo. I sent it back to Taurus for warranty repair. I had a good experience with Taurus customer service, very helpful. It took them about 2 weeks to replace the ejector and return it to me. Since then, the 709 has performed without incident, but my confidence in the pistol isn't there yet.

I have also seen the ads for the new 740. I like the idea of a 40S&W in that small frame size. However, based upon my past experience, I would wait awhile before picking one up. Let them work out the bugs first.
    I agree with this reply, I have a 709 that has been finicky & I don't trust it for carry, but I sure like the size of it....40s&W is my favorite caliber as well & I had not seen the 740 yet.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    That has potential to be a great carry weapon, 8+1 ? I havent seen one at any LGS yet, but Im wondering how reliable they will prove to be as well.

Add another to the PT709 Slim: loves it side!

Never had any failures of any kind, eats whatever I have to put down the barrel and begs for more. Accurate, easy to conceal, and goes bang every time I pull the trigger... but...

I was shopping for a pocket auto when I stumbled across it, and still need a deep concealment auto! The 709 is almost the same overall size as my G26, but much thinner, but still way too big for a deep cover weapon. I trust the 709 as much as my Glock, and 400 rounds is easy proof to point at. I wouldn't think the .40 would have anywhere near the issues the 709 had as a new intro weapon since it is on the same platform.

I am looking really closely at the Taurus 380 TCP along with the Diamondback 380... both are about the same price here, with the DB getting extra points for much easier take-down. That thing strips down for field cleaning in about 3 seconds, no tools or prybars needed, just like the G26....decisons, decisions...

but I still wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Taurus product. My personal experience has been great with them.

Add me to the LOVE the 709 SS model. 1200 flawless rounds and counting. I gave $350 for mine a year ago. I like the platform, but it is so small and light that the 9mm jumps quite a bit. I can only imagine shooting .40 out of it. In that caliber, I'll stick to my XD40sc. A little more to hang on to while shooting.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links