Kind of embarassing (M&P Sight Picture)

This is a discussion on Kind of embarassing (M&P Sight Picture) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well....now I'm just annoyed lol. I had the DCAEK kit installed on my M&P and raved about how much I loved it. I went to ...

Thread: Kind of embarassing (M&P Sight Picture)

Kind of embarassing (M&P Sight Picture)

Well....now I'm just annoyed lol. I had the DCAEK kit installed on my M&P and raved about how much I loved it. I went to the range today to give her a go with the new trigger..... bang, high and right.....bang, high and right.....bang high and right. Until I had a nice baseball size whole above my target after 50 rounds. I shot 200 rounds today, all were high and right, or just plain high.

Before the trigger job, I was DEAD center, EVERY shot. Now after the trigger I am constantly too high, and too far to the right. What is the correct sight picture for the M&P and around 7-10 yards? Does a better trigger yield the responses? Ummm...

Also, could the rear sight have been placed back incorrectly? Maybe making me shoot to the right? But that wouldn't explain the too high aspect.....
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

The trigger job shouldn't make any difference in the mechanical operation but will be a learning curve for you. My bet would be when you replaced the rear sight, you somehow didn't get it seated flush on the slide. If it's raised any then this will cause you to shoot high. Check that first.
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Well....now I'm just annoyed lol. I had the DCAEK kit installed on my M&P and raved about how much I loved it. I went to the range today to give her a go with the new trigger..... bang, high and right.....bang, high and right.....bang high and right. Until I had a nice baseball size whole above my target after 50 rounds. I shot 200 rounds today, all were high and right, or just plain high.

Before the trigger job, I was DEAD center, EVERY shot. Now after the trigger I am constantly too high, and too far to the right. What is the correct sight picture for the M&P and around 7-10 yards? Does a better trigger yield the responses? Ummm...

Also, could the rear sight have been placed back incorrectly? Maybe making me shoot to the right? But that wouldn't explain the too high aspect.....
    Most likely the poor shooting is you. I don't think there would be any reason to remove the rear sight with regards to the APEX install. Just take a few more shots and think about your breathing and trigger work.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

You need to remove the rear sight to install the striker block in the DCAEK kit. You may have it slightly drifted to the right. Just look at it from the top and be sure it's centered, then tighten down the set screw. Shooting high has to be you since there's no way you can adjust for elevation, even on accident.

The proper sight picture for the M&P is to hold the front sight over the target, not the 6 o'clock hold. You should see less bounce in the front of the gun with the DCAEK kit over standard. Bench rest the gun at 3 yards and see where you hit, then slowly move it out from there. I imagine the elevation is just you, and like the shooting right is as well, but likely the sight was drifted to the right when reinstalled, but I'd need to run the gun to say for sure!

Post back and let us know.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Have some one else shoot it to see if it is you or the gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If the sights are OK, then...

"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I always thought the above graphic was for 1 handed competition shooting, not 2 handed shooting where you have pressure from the support hand

I agree with most of what I'm reading. From my experience as a Trainer, it's most likely the shooter. You've probably trained yourself to compensate a certain amount for your flinch.

Go back to the basics and slowly squeeze off rounds letting the gun go off every time and have somebody else shoot the gun to verify zero.

Scott

You got used to the original trigger. Check your rear sight as mentioned already and then take time getting used to the new trigger. Trigger control is one of the biggest causes of shooting off target.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

You don't mention using a bench rest, so I assume it's being tested with your standard grip and stance (assumptions are often wrong, though). Just thinking that you might eliminate some variables if the gun was in a fixed position. It might help isolate the issue.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I had a tendency to pull down as I squeezed the trigger on my .44 super red hawk. ( 4.5 pull.) after having the trigger reworked I no longer have that tendency. Maybe??? Just a thought.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Links