S&W M&P40 question

This is a discussion on S&W M&P40 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a S&W 40 - no thumb safety, no mag safety, no internal lock. I understand what all of those mean. I know ...

Thread: S&W M&P40 question

S&W M&P40 question

I picked up a S&W 40 - no thumb safety, no mag safety, no internal lock. I understand what all of those mean. I know it's a striker fired gun, and understand that as well. What I'm unclear on, and can't figure out from their website either, is if it works like a glock w/regard to an internal safety. Does it have that little blocker that keeps it from firing until the trigger is pulled if there's one in the chamber? Is it 'partially cocked' similar to the glock? Can't pick the thing up for another week or 2, and would like to understand what's going on w/it before I do. I didn't want the mag or thumb safety, just wondering what else is there besides the trigger safety.

Thanks!

----------------
    Now playing: The Bouncing Souls - Ghosts On the Boardwalk
    via FoxyTunes

2. Remove Ads

Tommy,

I'm pretty sure it is fully cocked. It does have a firing pin safety though. A fully functional M&P is only capable of discharging if the trigger is pulled.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Well, it's about 99% cocked. It does have the striker block, it's right underneath the rear sight, which will not allow the striker to make contact with the primer unless the trigger is pulled and the little hump on the trigger bar pushes the striker block up and out of the way. The back of the sear has a little hump to it and that very slight motion of the sear moving up, the back of the sear as it slips off of the striker pushes the striker the rest of the way to the rear, maybe 1/1000 of an inch or so. This, I assume, is how they can call it double action. It's still 100% safe and just as safe as a Glock or 1911 or Sig, etc. It's just a different way of doing things.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

So if I carry with one in the hole, barring an act of stupidity on my part and something entering the trigger guard, I shouldn't have an accidental discharge (eg some jackass bumps me into something, one of my friends gives me a greeting and slaps me in the back, etc)? Still not 100% i'm comfortable w/carrying with one in, but at the same point, seems stupid not to because i probably wouldn't have the time to chamber one if needed....

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    To the OP I think what your asking is if it drops or gets hit hard (as in the whole gun) will it go off? as tested in my video in my signature.. THE ONLY WAY for the M&P to go off is TO PULL THE TRIGGER... I dropped my during tests about 3.5 to 4 feet of the ground... That would be the highest i could ever see my handgun falling. check it out... below
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    So if I carry with one in the hole, barring an act of stupidity on my part and something entering the trigger guard, I shouldn't have an accidental discharge (eg some jackass bumps me into something, one of my friends gives me a greeting and slaps me in the back, etc)? Still not 100% i'm comfortable w/carrying with one in, but at the same point, seems stupid not to because i probably wouldn't have the time to chamber one if needed....
    Spec is dead on. Glad he has a video, that helps much more than words!

You could throw it down a flight of cement stairs and it would not fire. The only quality guns that can drop-fire are the 70 series 1911's (which kills me to say). There's no firing pin block, so a hard impact like a drop on the muzzle, can force the firing pin into the primer and it fire. Now, this is almost impossible with the newer designed guns and the series 80 1911's. The M&P, whether you have any of the safeties or not, is as safe as any Glock or Sig, etc.

On the 1911, when you flip the thumb safety, it stops the trigger, but even more importantly it blocks the sear so there's no way for it to be released. Most think it just stops the trigger.

On the Glock there's just the striker block, that safe-action trigger and the drop gun safety which only allow the trigger bar to move to release the striker by pulling the trigger, it can't happen when dropped.

On the M&P, you have the striker block which can only be deactivated by pulling the trigger bar (just like the Glock). To see how it works, take the slide off of the gun and push the tab of the striker forward and watch the breech face to see if the striker protrudes. It won't. Now, push up on the striker block (the silver circle under the slide next to the firing pin tab, directly below the rear sight) and push the striker forward, you'll see the striker protrude through the firing pin hole in the breech face. The only way for that block to be pushed out of the way is to pull the trigger so the taller tab on the trigger bar can push the block out of the way.

Some have the magazine release safety. This is the tab in the magazine well that protrudes into the well from the sear housing that holds the front of the sear up and the rear down. When inserting the magazine, it pushes the tab out of the way and allows the sear to move. The idea behind it makes sense for weapon retention, but I seriously doubt many would remember to remove the mag during a struggle. I see how you could have it loaded with a mag out so your kids don't get it, but again, I don't think many use it for that purpose either.

Then there's the thumb safety. All the M&P's thumb safety does is block the trigger, NOT the sear as the 1911 does. Most of my M&P's have come with the thumb safety, but since I ride the thumb safety with my grip and the edges are sharp, I dremeled them down for comfort. Metal showed through where I didn't think there was metal, so they're getting coated. In the mean time S&W sent me the plugs to fill the holes and I've decided that I prefer it off. It won't be going back on. My main reason for using it was to keep my thumb away from slide lock with my thumbs forward grip. I've adjusted it enough, but I have a spare slide lock on it's way that I'll be having flatten so it's hardly to inadvertently hold down with my grip and I won't have to be as conscious of it.

Then the trigger safety like Glock. Again, this is silly to me. I've put things through the trigger guard on purpose with an empty gun and it still tripped the sear. The ONLY thing mine has done for me is to cause the trigger to stick lightly now and then depending on my grip, so I took a file to it and just ever so slightly rounded it. Now, if I run my finger higher on the trigger than normal, it doesn't catch like before, but still works the same as it's intended too if something thin gets caught in the joint of the trigger.

It is a very, very safe gun and the ONLY way it will EVER FIRE is if you want it too. I have a five year old and a one year old, so I'm very aware of the gun I'm carrying, especially when we're playing around. I wouldn't carry any gun, no matter how much I like it, if it wasn't 100% safe around my children.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Spec - that's where I was headed. Thanks - I'll definitely check out that vid today. Btw - I also wouldn't be crazy enough to drop my gun like that to test it myself ;-P . jonconsiglio - thanks for all the info there as well. I can't pick it up even though I technically own it for another week or so - but I'll take a look inside at the things you mentioned. Good ole new york state still needs to mail me my piece of plastic in the mail (which they print and replace on the spot when you add one - doesn't make sense to me why I have to wait multiple weeks). Still gotta get a good holster for it - looking at the crossbreed or one a guy on here makes. TBD on that. Thanks for the info everyone!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Spec - that's where I was headed. Thanks - I'll definitely check out that vid today. Btw - I also wouldn't be crazy enough to drop my gun like that to test it myself ;-P . jonconsiglio - thanks for all the info there as well. I can't pick it up even though I technically own it for another week or so - but I'll take a look inside at the things you mentioned. Good ole new york state still needs to mail me my piece of plastic in the mail (which they print and replace on the spot when you add one - doesn't make sense to me why I have to wait multiple weeks). Still gotta get a good holster for it - looking at the crossbreed or one a guy on here makes. TBD on that. Thanks for the info everyone!

I was tired of not seeing any videos on the M&P, it was Glock this Beretta That.... More test will be done next summer or this winter.. depends on my schedule
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I was tired of not seeing any videos on the M&P, it was Glock this Beretta That.... More test will be done next summer or this winter.. depends on my schedule
    NICE videos! Rock on M&P brother!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links