Help me choose my pocket/belt clip ccw

This is a discussion on Help me choose my pocket/belt clip ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a sa xd sc for carry, its a great gun but i find myself leaving it at home because its pretty bulky for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I purchased a sa xd sc for carry, its a great gun but i find myself leaving it at home because its pretty bulky for these texas summers, so im selling one of my other guns and have decided i need a pocket sized gun for realistic every day carry, i like the 9mm balistics and trust it for carry, so im leaning heavily to the pf-9, but i really like the size of the p3at/lcp...

im wondering if 380 is worth the smaller size when u add in the cost, it being harder to find, and less power. but alot of people trust it so im looking for advice

which would you choose and why? if there is another pocket gun i should look at feel free to throw it in,(under $300) but im fairly sure i dont want a revolver.

thanks for the help

That's the million-dollar question right now: there are a mass of mini-9mm and .380 guns on the market, and virtually every one of them has had serious performance issues. Kahr, Kel-Tec, Ruger, DIamondback, Taurus... you name it. For every positive review, there will be 10 people with negative reviews. If you based your decision on posts on the web, you wouldn't choose any of them.
    I thought I had decided on a mini-.380, and of course for every person that said I love mine, at least 2 ppl said stay away, never feeds right, always jams, already sent back to the factory for repair... I don't ever remember so many negative reviews on virtually every mini 9 or .380 to hit the market. Maybe it's because most are newer introductions, or maybe ppl are using crap ammo....but there is definitely a serious issue with most, if not all, of these newer guns... I am now thinking I would do better to keep my money in the bank until another GLOCK company introduces a mini pocket gun that 90% of buyers are happy with!

I just sold my ruger LCP, it was flawless and pretty accurate for its size, it carries great in the pocket. I sold it because I do not think the 380 is enough cartridge in colder climates, which we have. You on the other hand in summer would do ok.

The PF-9 is a nice size to carry, I have a Kahr PM9 9MM and love it, sometimes I pocket carry it or appendix carry, it is accurate. What really surprised me is the PM9 is the same size as the Sig P238 .380. If you do get a 380 my suggestion would be to get a pistol rated for +P, the Sig P238, Kahr P380 and Kel-tec 3AT are the ones that come to mind. The Ruger LCP is not rated for +P, so that is why I sold it.

Some will say that a S&W 442/642 revolver is the way to go, I have tried to pocket carry a Ruger LCR and it is to thick and long for most pockets, again the Kahr PM9 is smaller much flatter .90" compared to 1.25" on the 442/642, and has a 6+1 rounds or 7+1 rounds over the revolvers 5.

Kahr MK9

I use either a Kahr MK9 or a S&W 642 revolver for this application. Since you don't want a revolver but do prefer 9mm, I'd recommend the Kahr. It is an all stainless gun so it resists corrosion and sweat well in a Texas summer. The trigger is very smooth and the extra weight over the polymer Kahr PM9 makes it very easy to shoot well. I carry it IWB in a Comp-Tac appendix holster. It conceals very well under any cover garment, and has been perfectly reliable for me through about 1000 rounds.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

That is a great looking gun, Kahr makes some awesome pistols. I like the Comp-tac holster in your picture, would you recommend it over say a CrossBreed?

Comp-Tac fan

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    That is a great looking gun, Kahr makes some awesome pistols. I like the Comp-tac holster in your picture, would you recommend it over say a CrossBreed?
    I have two Comp-Tac holsters but no experience with CrossBreed. I like the Comp-Tac brand for the quality and fast service on filling an order. The appendix carry is very effective for a gun with short barrel and short grip. You can draw the gun very quickly from that position and it is comfortable when seated. Here is another view of the holster:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

In all honesty....(and I don't know if you've actually tried one and pulled the trigger).........the KelTec PF9 would probably be one of my top choices for a "pocket pistol". I've never considered carrying a pocket pistol actually. I've dry fired several of the 'pocket pistols' on the market. Out of all that I've tried, the PF9 would probably be the one if I ever went for pocket carry simply for reasons of my own.

I've kinda been in the same boat. Looking for a really light pocket pistol. But all I hear about online are horror stories! And the gun shops all say the guns are perfect! So it's somewhere in between but I have been leaning towards the S&W 642. My need is based on a recent injury to my groin. So no belts or tight pants etc. I've been carrying my G26 in a UTG bag (maxpedition versipack copy). But I really would like something I can pocket carry if I go out in my snazzy scrubs!
    Question Everything!

"fairly sure" that you don't want a revolver?

I've been pocket carrying an LCP, occasionally. I recently acquired a S&W 442. It is one sweet pistol. It's only 5 ozs heavier than the LCP, but it shoots much better, for me.

Now, if your misgivings on a revolver are low capacity, then that's a legitimate concern. It's your skin, if you want more than 5 on tap to protect it, then I certainly ain't gonna try to persuade you against your own judgment.

But, if your hesitant because of the DA trigger; keep in mind that, that is what you're getting on a PF-9, LCP, or a Kahr. The only exception to this would be the Sig P238; it being a SA...

Finally; if your hesitant because of the shape of a revolver, thinking that it's going to be hard to conceal; it's not.

Of course, all of the above means nothing at all, if ya just don't want a revolver; period.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I just put a down payment on another Ruger LCP. My new off duty EDC setup will be...two LCPs, one in each pocket. My wife has one, so we will have three of them in the family. That should give you an idea of what I think of the pistol.

For less weight than my Glock 26 (an excellent pistol), I can carry two LCPs. One in each pocket takes care of ambidextrous access, and allows me to have a BUG (which I rarely carried other than while on duty). Plus, my wife and I can share spare mags - if it comes to that - and she can operate my guns with more confidence, since they are exactly like hers.

As far as the .380 caliber goes...the FBI calls for 12-15 inches of penetration. Good .380 JHPs get 11-13 inches, while FMJ gets 16-17. I alternate JHP/FMJ in the Summer, and may go all FMJ in the Winter for thicker clothing.

I've had email conversations with a physician that consults with one of the big training schools (he didn't give permission to use his name, but if you've been around these forums for awhile, you can likely guess who I'm referring to). He told me that, in his opinion, there is NO evidence that JHPs are any better at stopping a human than FMJ. And there is no difference between service calibers, either.

So...you either hit a vital area, or you don't. Caliber and/or expanding rounds will not make up for poor shot placement. Use ammo that will penetrate. That's it. Carry what you will always carry, train hard, and stop worrying about caliber.

IMHO, the PF9 is too big for pocket carry. I did carry a PM9 in a pocket for a few years, but it is a bit heavy. IMHO, the LCP fits the pocket role perfectly.

Good luck in your quest!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    "fairly sure" that you don't want a revolver?

I've been pocket carrying an LCP, occasionally. I recently acquired a S&W 442. It is one sweet pistol. It's only 5 ozs heavier than the LCP, but it shoots much better, for me.

Now, if your misgivings on a revolver are low capacity, then that's a legitimate concern. It's your skin, if you want more than 5 on tap to protect it, then I certainly ain't gonna try to persuade you against your own judgment.

But, if your hesitant because of the DA trigger; keep in mind that, that is what you're getting on a PF-9, LCP, or a Kahr. The only exception to this would be the Sig P238; it being a SA...

Finally; if your hesitant because of the shape of a revolver, thinking that it's going to be hard to conceal; it's not.

Of course, all of the above means nothing at all, if ya just don't want a revolver; period.
    Just what I was thinking. I love my 637 Airweight. Man its great to carry.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by srawlings View Post
    I purchased a sa xd sc for carry, its a great gun but i find myself leaving it at home because its pretty bulky for these texas summers, so im selling one of my other guns and have decided i need a pocket sized gun for realistic every day carry, i like the 9mm balistics and trust it for carry, so im leaning heavily to the pf-9, but i really like the size of the p3at/lcp...

im wondering if 380 is worth the smaller size when u add in the cost, it being harder to find, and less power. but alot of people trust it so im looking for advice

which would you choose and why? if there is another pocket gun i should look at feel free to throw it in,(under $300) but im fairly sure i dont want a revolver.

thanks for the help

I'd look at how your carrying and what you are using to carry before changing-up guns...

Before you sell your XD, let me ask: What kind of holster do you carry it in? When you find the right holster, your bulky gun will disappear. Look at holsters from UBG (www.ubgholsters.com) or similar construct...

Secondly, what about belts? What kind of belt do you have? A good, stiff gun belt is needed as a stable platform to carry your firearm.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The BB vs. the cannon ball...

I've had email conversations with a physician that consults with one of the big training schools (he didn't give permission to use his name, but if you've been around these forums for awhile, you can likely guess who I'm referring to). He told me that, in his opinion, there is NO evidence that JHPs are any better at stopping a human than FMJ. And there is no difference between service calibers, either.

So...you either hit a vital area, or you don't. Caliber and/or expanding rounds will not make up for poor shot placement. Use ammo that will penetrate. That's it. Carry what you will always carry, train hard, and stop worrying about caliber.
    Imagine that a BB hits a person in the torso and penetrates 12 inches. Then imagine that a cannon ball hits in the same spot and penetrates 12 inches. Which one will do the most damage? The answer is obvious.

Now imagine that a .380 JHP hits in the same spot and penetrates 12 inches without expanding. Then imagine that a .45 ACP Federal HST bullet hits that spot and penetrates 12 inches, expanding to 1.00 inches in diameter (typical in gel tests). Isn't it logical that the .45 will do more damage and have better stopping chances?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I'd look at how your carrying and what you are using to carry before changing-up guns...

Before you sell your XD, let me ask: What kind of holster do you carry it in? When you find the right holster, your bulky gun will disappear. Look at holsters from UBG (www.ubgholsters.com) or similar construct...

Secondly, what about belts? What kind of belt do you have? A good, stiff gun belt is needed as a stable platform to carry your firearm.
    There's wisdom here. I live in the Dallas area and just had the same 30 some odd days of +100º weather. I carried a full size S&W M&P all day every day and didn't have any issues. This was under T-shirts and with shorts on... no big deal at all.

I currently use a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt and a Looper from http://customcarryconcepts.com/. A new holster and belt are a cheaper alternative than selling a gun (and likely losing money on it) and then buying something new...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Luv the trigger on the PF9, beats the trigger on the P11 hands down. My P3AT is in for repairs so carrying my PF9.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links