S&W 442-1; range report

This is a discussion on S&W 442-1; range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally took out the new (to me ) 442-1. My wife and I wanted to see how it stacked up to the LCP. I ...

Thread: S&W 442-1; range report

S&W 442-1; range report

I finally took out the new (to me ) 442-1. My wife and I wanted to see how it stacked up to the LCP.

I gotta say that I really like this little wheelgun. The trigger was smooth and consistent from start to finish.

Not really knowing what to expect; I hadn't shot a revolver in a dozen years, (it was a 6" S&W .357) I didn't dry fire or anything, just pulled up and let rip 5 shots of 158 grain FMC from Magtech, at about 7 yards...

090400_1331[00].jpg090400_1331[01].jpgS&W 442-1 first shots.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised

The rest of my outing was the same, my wife shot it, too; she did rather well. The downside was, that the LCP was doing some malfunctioning. A few type 1 and one type 3

I'm not going to lie; I really prefer this over the LCP. I can put the bullets where I want, the trigger is better and it carries just as easily. It definitely has more felt recoil than the .380, but it hits in a different place on my hand. It is much more controllable, to me anyway.

The round boot grip conforms to my hand in a way that the wee Ruger can only dream about. I have small hands and the j-frame is just about perfect; I can get a good high grip and reach the trigger easily. No twisting and cursing to get a good grip and good trigger control

For my last round of 5; I put the j-frame in my left, weak side, pocket; to try out a quick point shoot. I'm not well versed in point shooting, but I wanted to see how I'd do; left handed, too. I got a good grip and presented about halfway to eye level and let rip. Again, the little revolver was just 100% fun and on target. I did have one flyer, but I chalk that up to my inexperience in non-sighted shooting. I didn't get a picture, but the paper bad guy suffered two collapsed lungs, a broken collar bone and a bit of heartburn.

Summary: I'm keeping this little guy forever if it always performs like this.

The LCP is really my wife's. I was contemplating getting another, so I could have two carry options. Then I decided to try out a snubbie, because I always wanted one, and because I had to try out other options. Man, am I glad that I did.

I've got a Remora holster coming for it (RamRod spoke highly of it, so I'm gonna try it) and I'll post pics and a report when it comes in.

We're even tossing around the idea of selling the LCP to get another

Did I mention how much that I like this snubbie?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, you did mention it and I can see why. A fun report. I feel pretty much the same way about small revolvers over small automatics.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links