1911 Kimber 22LR Conversion Kit Range Report

This is a discussion on 1911 Kimber 22LR Conversion Kit Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I just figured that I would share my experience with you this kit in case anyone else was thinking about popping one on their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Kimber 22LR Conversion Kit Range Report

VIP Member

Hi,

I just figured that I would share my experience with you this kit in case anyone else was thinking about popping one on their 1911.

The installation was a breeze, I took of the original .45 top half (barrel, slide etc.) and just slid the .22 kit right into place. The fit and finnish is pretty darn good. I was very pleased with how well in when onto my 1911 frame. The tolerances are excellent.

The kimber mag that comes with the unit is made from plastic and seems to be made pretty well. They functioned flawlessly with the tested 200 rounds.

The ammo I used was CCI mini mags as they are pretty reliable and have a great track record with many firearm manufacturers.

At first I started at 5 yards just to see where the sights were at. The gun tended to shoot low and to the right. I tested this with two three round groups. After that data, I made a couple slight adjustments to the sights and dialed it in.

From 10-15 yards I was consistently shooting 1 inch groups. Once I went out to 25 yards I was shooting 1.5 inch groups and under. Overall I am very pleased with the quality and accuracy of this kit. I also wanted to mention that this kit was flawless in the two hundred rounds I shot today. No one single issue.

1. Pro's

Well made
    Easy install
    very accurate
    Functioned flawlessly with 200 rounds
    Fun to shoot
    Cheap to shoot
    Allows you to practice with the 1911 platform

2. Con's

A bit spendy 250-300.00
    Slide is not designed to stay open on the last round.

Conclusion:

I would totally recommend this kit if you have a 1911. I was very impressed as I have not seen that type of accuracy out of a .22 handgun. I would think it's on par with a nice long barreled Ruger, or Browning Buckmark, but maybe more accurate as I don't remember that type of accuracy with those guns when I have shot them in the past. Your own MMV.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/rimfire/
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Sharing experiences is what it's all about. At least your pros outweighed the cons. Enjoy!

I got one last year. Your range report is accurate. I found it to be very accurate and fun to shoot also.Mine will shoot any brand of ammo,but CCI Mini Mags are the most accurate.

I just put mine through a, "No Clean" test.

I did not clean it for three thousand rounds. Not Mini mags, but the cheap Federal Walmart stuff. It began to hiccup a little near the end, but that could have been the ammo.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Oak View Post
    I just put mine through a, "No Clean" test.

I did not clean it for three thousand rounds. Not Mini mags, but the cheap Federal Walmart stuff. It began to hiccup a little near the end, but that could have been the ammo.
    May I ask why you would do that?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Slide is not designed to stay open on the last round.
    With this in mind, what does the manual say on dry firing?

Could you give some more info, is the slide aluminum? Is the pistol allot lighter than when set up with the 45 upper?
    Does it still run a barrel bushing? What kind of sights come on it, are they still dovetailed where you could change them?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    With this in mind, what does the manual say on dry firing?
    DocGlock,

I would stay away from dry firing these guys. The manual says it's okay, but I would not trust that too much.

Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    Could you give some more info, is the slide aluminum? Is the pistol allot lighter than when set up with the 45 upper?
    Does it still run a barrel bushing? What kind of sights come on it, are they still dovetailed where you could change them?
    The slide is aluminum and does indeed feel quite a bit lighter. It would be hard to have it function properly if it were steel as the .22 does not have enough umph to move a steel slide reliably. Yes it still has a barrel bushing. The sights are indeed dove tail and you be able to change them and adjust for height and left to right. I also believe that they are guaranteed to shoot 1.5 inch or less group at 25 yards. I believe Wilson Combat has a kit as well and I am sure it's high quality as well. Just add another 50-75.00 bucks for the Wilson.
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; September 5th, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: merged posts

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Glad to hear the Kimber conversion is working so well. I have have the AA kit for my Glock 30 and have about one FTE per 100 rounds. Not sure why exactly, but since I'm only putting holes in paper with it, I'm not concerned. AA says not to dryfire, by the way. I've only used CCO Mini-Mags so far. I start getting some lead buildup at 100 rounds, so I quit after that number.

It's kind of nice to merely swap out slides and mags and fire .22s, isn't it? The only real difference is obviously the weight and recoil. Like everything and anything else, it's more accurate than I am. Still a lot of fun!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have the Kimber kit myself. They're really nice aren't they? Glad you're enjoying yours too!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Glad to hear the Kimber conversion is working so well. I have have the AA kit for my Glock 30 and have about one FTE per 100 rounds. Not sure why exactly, but since I'm only putting holes in paper with it, I'm not concerned. AA says not to dryfire, by the way. I've only used CCO Mini-Mags so far. I start getting some lead buildup at 100 rounds, so I quit after that number.

It's kind of nice to merely swap out slides and mags and fire .22s, isn't it? The only real difference is obviously the weight and recoil. Like everything and anything else, it's more accurate than I am. Still a lot of fun!
    It's a great way to send lead down range at a cheap price.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I have the Kimber kit myself. They're really nice aren't they? Glad you're enjoying yours too!
    Yeah they are great! I was seriously shocked on how accurate they are as my Walther P22 could not hold a candle to this Kimber kit.

VIP Member
    Nice to know in case I ever get rich!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Nice to know in case I ever get rich!
    LOL! Hey it's cheaper then a a normal .22 like a Walther!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    DocGlock,

I would stay away from dry firing these guys. The manual says it's okay, but I would not trust that too much.
    The reason I was asking was that most are going to run it till it's empty. If it doesn't lock back when empty, you won't know it until it just goes "click". I know, count your rounds, butttttttttttttt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links