Smith M&P 45c or USP Compact

This is a discussion on Smith M&P 45c or USP Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here have experience carrying both of these guns? I'm between the two at the moment. I'm specifically looking at the M&P 45 compact ...

Thread: Smith M&P 45c or USP Compact

Smith M&P 45c or USP Compact

Does anyone here have experience carrying both of these guns? I'm between the two at the moment. I'm specifically looking at the M&P 45 compact with thumbsafety or the USP .45 Compact DA/SA manual safety model. I prefer the USP compact, because I like the cocked/locked carry but I also like the idea decocking it for storage purposes. However the M&P is a little cheaper and I believe slightly smaller, plus I believe it has a standard lightrail (I'll also be using this as a bedside gun).

I've owned and carried both M&P's and USP's in the past but not these specific models so they're not completely foreign to me. If anyone happened to have side by side pictures I'd really appreciate them.
    Thanks,
    Matthew

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
    Does anyone here have experience carrying both of these guns? I'm between the two at the moment. I'm specifically looking at the M&P 45 compact with thumbsafety or the USP .45 Compact DA/SA manual safety model. I prefer the USP compact, because I like the cocked/locked carry but I also like the idea decocking it for storage purposes. However the M&P is a little cheaper and I believe slightly smaller, plus I believe it has a standard lightrail (I'll also be using this as a bedside gun).

I've owned and carried both M&P's and USP's in the past but not these specific models so they're not completely foreign to me. If anyone happened to have side by side pictures I'd really appreciate them.
    Thanks,
    Matthew
    If you have owned both in the past, how can they be that foreign to you? I have multiple M&P's and they are really not too different.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Both models that I have owned were 9mm. I was under the impression that the .45 models of both were larger. I'm also interested in just how much larger the USP compact is than the M&P and if people find that this really makes much a difference in carrying. I owned each gun at least 2 years apart so I could never do a direct comparrison.

The slide of the M&Ps are about the same thickness( 9c vs 45c) and can use the same holsters-unless they are closed end. I don't have any experience with the USP. Nice seeing you at BPS( still haven't used the holsters) and if you want to shoot the 45c or 45fs -come on up to Cherokee co.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I was very impressed with the CC abilities of the M&P. Great weapon
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

These pistols are about the same size, and any marginal difference would be negated by a good holster and dressing around the gun. Pick the one you like best. Personally, I'd take the M&P over the HK. I've shot the USP compact (V1), and didn't care for the stiff DA trigger pull on the first shot. Cocked and locked is possible in theory, but I'd bet that you'd hit that lever hard in an actual stressful situation, and decock the pistol. I'll take a consistent trigger pull any day over DA/SA. The bore axis seems a bit lower on the M&P as well, helping with control on follow-up shots. Mags are less expensive, and customer service is top notch with S&W.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I had an HK USPc .45. Yesterday, I just picked up a M&Pc .45. I got rid of the HK so, I can do a side-by-side, but I can give you my impressions.

Obviously, I got rid of the USP. It's a rather large gun to only carry 8 rounds. HK really needs to update their magazines. There have been advances in mag tech that will allow them to hold more rounds in the same dimensions. I am not a fan of HK's triggers. Considering they retail for between $800 and $900, their trigger is unacceptable. The DA pull is rather heavy (though that can be said to be a feature), it is also gritty. The plastic trigger has a little flex to it, which can cause you to pull your shots off. The SA pull is a little mushy. That's not to say they have a bad trigger; I just expect a better trigger if I'm going to drop near to a grand on a handgun. A base model Sig (which retails for close $100 less) has a much smoother DA pull without the grit, and a nice clean break on the SA pull. On actually shooting the USP, I found the recoil to be stiffer than I expected, considering it's large frame and recoil buffer. It's nowhere near uncontrollable; just stiffer than you'd expect. I shot it against my Glock 36, and the Glock won hands-down. The low bore-axis of the Glock makes a huge difference in the way the recoil feels. Follow-up shots were much faster, and more accurate.

Now, I haven't shot the M&P yet (going out tomorrow!). It is a bit smaller in the grip than the USP; it will conceal better. The trigger on the M&P is light and consistent, and though made of plastic, doesn't flex. It has the low bore-axis of a striker fired gun, so I expect it will perform like the Glock. It's also $300 cheaper than the USP. Mags are $35 for the M&P, $50 for the USP. S&W is still giving away two free mags with the purchase of a new M&P too.

Of course, my recommendation is for the M&P. If you want to spend more money, get a Sig! The P220 Carry is just a little longer in the grip (though thinner) than the USPc, carries the same 8 rounds and has a better trigger.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I have not owned but have shot the M&P weapons, I have owned a USP Compact, and currently own a full size USP in 9mm. I prefer the HK over the S&W autos. I believe the recoil springs that the HK uses drastically reduces felt recoil in 9mm and even more so in 40 cal. This is going to make quick double taps much more accurate. They are pretty equal in size from what I remember and I had little trouble in concealing either one in a proper holster. Good luck with your decision.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Never owned an M&P but my USP .45c has been flawless through 1,800 rounds with any brand of HP or hardball.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I owned the USP in 40. Absolutely fine and well made and dependable and blah blah blah. I couldn't enjoy the gun in any manner. Part of that was the caliber. I'm a 45 guy and don't like the flip that a 40 delivers. Again, very well made gun and I dumped it after a year. I have the compact M&P 45 and couldn't like it more. It may or may not be made to the same quality level as the H&K but it's absolutely better than good enough. I chose to not have the thumb safety. The M&P safety can easily be bumped off safety so I decided, why think that my gun is safetied when it may not be. Without the safety, I'm very sure of it's condition.

BTW, the USP's may not hold value as much as they should. Resale isn't what you would expect. My vote/my money.....M&P. Good luck. Oh yes, it does have a standard rail.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thanks for all the tips guys. Some how in all my reading I start thinking the USP compact was a 10 round gun. Sounds more and more like the MP is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper View Post
    The slide of the M&Ps are about the same thickness( 9c vs 45c) and can use the same holsters-unless they are closed end. I don't have any experience with the USP. Nice seeing you at BPS( still haven't used the holsters) and if you want to shoot the 45c or 45fs -come on up to Cherokee co.
    How are you liking that 45c compared to your defender plus? I've got my ad up on the local forum trying to get one but no one is showing much interest, perhaps I'm asking too much though.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P all the way!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

+1 for the M&P, GREAT PISTOLS.

The M&P trigger is not nearly as refined as the USP.. for that obvious reason I would choose it over the M&P any day. I have had a M&P 45c and wasn't all that crazy about it, recoil on it was heavier than any 1911 or Glock I've fired, my Glock 23 with 180gr jhp +P has better recoil than the M&P did. This i feel is due to larger springs and guide rod, can't beat physics, a bulkier spring and rod take up more surface area and absorb more...

Plus look at holster options, spare mags, etc. Any accessories are going to be more available for a older design that's more common place.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

Went to a store today so I could hold everything side by side.

The Glock 30SF has been in the back of my mind and is now more on the front burner. I have had a Glock 21SF and really enjoyed it. It's grip is not as comfortable as the M&P but something I could get used to. Also they have one for $10 more than the M&P but with night sights (both are used).

Just waiting on someone to buy my P229R or make me a trade offer so I can get one!

Links