SW 3913 laser?

This is a discussion on SW 3913 laser? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm pretty sure you cannot get a laser for the 3913. Anybody know anything different?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW 3913 laser?

Distinguished Member

SW 3913 laser?

I'm pretty sure you cannot get a laser for the 3913. Anybody know anything different?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

I have not seen one. The good news is the 3913 shoots as though it has a laser. What an awesome pistol.

SW 3913 Laser

I believe the Laserlyte laser RL-19n for Novak sights fits the 3913. 3913s have Novak sights, I wondered if they would fit, & emailed the company. I received an email from Laserlyte that this laser should fit the 3913. It replaces the rear sight. Haven't tried it yet.

I do love my 3913NL.

My 3913 has a laser attached to the front of the trigger guard. The 3913 was my Dad's, and that was the way he had it, in an open-bottom Uncle Mike's holster. I can go look up the make/model of the laser, and the model number of the holster if anyone's interested.

I just haven't gotten around to removing it yet, but I don't think it's going to stay there. The LaserLyte Novak interests me, if they'll fit.

I have Crimson Trace laser grips on my S&W 6906 and 908 and am working on installing them on my CS9. Not a simple modification, but works well.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
    I have Crimson Trace laser grips on my S&W 6906 and 908 and am working on installing them on my CS9. Not a simple modification, but works well.
    Pics, please!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

These are based on the Crimson Trace LG359 grips for the 5900 series. I'm pretty sure they can be adopted to the 40 series as well and perhaps the 45's also. I'm kind of standardized on the 9mm so I don't know for sure at this point.

The master switch is removed (I've never used it, anyway) and what is left of that depression is filled, as is the original screw hole. I pondered filling these holes with a hard material I could checker, but in the end went with a softer material that more closely matched the rest of the surface even though I couldn't checker it.

I hate slotted screw heads on weapon grips and changed the 6906 to a blued Torx screw. However, the contour at the screw location on the 908 is just a bit different and I needed something lower profile and had to go with a slotted pan head. All I had was stainless so I couldn't blue it.

If I had known then what I know now, I never would have taken this project on as there were a number of difficulties I hadn't considered - there's a LOT more to it than just chopping off the butt. But now that I have these done I couldn't be happier. I'm a believer in lasers and 3 gen Smiths.

FWIW, the set on the 908 were intended for my CS9 EDC, but it didn't work out and I'm considering a slightly different approach for the CS9.

Best,

John

Hill Country,
    Did you ever do anything to lighten the 500#, 250 mile first trigger pull? Other then that, I love my 3913.

That's a myth started by some striker-fired plastic gun apologist. <G>

If it was a problem, I'd simply install a spurred hammer and fire the first round SA.

Best,

John

That's a myth started by some striker-fired plastic gun apologist. <G>

If it was a problem, I'd simply install a spurred hammer and fire the first round SA.

Best,

John
    Thanks John. To me, its not a myth. Its a long, hard first pull. I just wanted to know if you addressed that issue or if it can be corrected?

Distinguished Member
    These are based on the Crimson Trace LG359 grips for the 5900 series. I'm pretty sure they can be adopted to the 40 series as well and perhaps the 45's also. I'm kind of standardized on the 9mm so I don't know for sure at this point.

The master switch is removed (I've never used it, anyway) and what is left of that depression is filled, as is the original screw hole. I pondered filling these holes with a hard material I could checker, but in the end went with a softer material that more closely matched the rest of the surface even though I couldn't checker it.

I hate slotted screw heads on weapon grips and changed the 6906 to a blued Torx screw. However, the contour at the screw location on the 908 is just a bit different and I needed something lower profile and had to go with a slotted pan head. All I had was stainless so I couldn't blue it.

If I had known then what I know now, I never would have taken this project on as there were a number of difficulties I hadn't considered - there's a LOT more to it than just chopping off the butt. But now that I have these done I couldn't be happier. I'm a believer in lasers and 3 gen Smiths.

FWIW, the set on the 908 were intended for my CS9 EDC, but it didn't work out and I'm considering a slightly different approach for the CS9.

Best,

John
    Beautiful work! Stunning weapons. Kudos to you. Oh, to have that talent. My father was a master craftsman. He literally could do anything, no embellishing! The gene pool burped with me but I am happy to report that my son got the DNA!

Distinguished Member
    "I hate slotted screw heads on weapon grips ..."
    Me too. I had a thread on it called, "Grip Screw Heresy". Not sure if you can still find it.

Well, looky here! Found it.

Grip screw heresy!

Quote Originally Posted by gunslut View Post
    Thanks John. To me, its not a myth. Its a long, hard first pull. I just wanted to know if you addressed that issue or if it can be corrected?
    I know it's real - I was just being a smartass. Sorry.

I see the same thing with my M19's - one has the large wood "combat" grips and the other has a round butt with Pachmyers. Both have had trigger jobs and the stock springs, but the trigger feels heavier on the one with the wood grips. I'm always much more accurate SA with either of them.

Wolff has spring kits for the 3g smiths, but IMHO grip size and geometry have as much to do with perceived trigger weight as anything. The double-stack 6906 has a good feel in my hand - it just fits nicely. The downside is that it was just a little awkward for me to flip the decock lever with my thumb. When I replaced the straight-backstrap stock grips with the slightly arched Crimson Trace backstrap the decock lever became much easier to manipulate. Its a small thing, but good marksmanship is made up of a lot of small things.

Unless your hands are really small, you might consider a set of Hogues for your 3913. The price is much less than a trigger job and it might be just what you need. One caution, though, and you're probably aware of this is that the Hogues are a little "sticky" which may be a problem to conceal.

Best,

John

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    "I hate slotted screw heads on weapon grips ..."
    Me too. I had a thread on it called, "Grip Screw Heresy". Not sure if you can still find it.
    Grip screw heresy!
    The 3gen grips are one of the few things I can find to gripe about on those models. The delrin plastic is bad enough, but the Mickey Mouse grip pin really irks me as I like to remove the grips when I do more than just a quick wipe down with a rag. I drool over all the 1911 grip options, too.

And I can appreciate the little things like aligning the screw heads, but I hate buggered up screw slots even worse. The cosmetics of the laser grip installation was the most frustrating part for me - I kept trying different things to finish the butt and finally decided the best thing to do was just leave it alone. <G> I still have a few rough spots that can't be seen and don't affect the function, but I know they are there. I may do one more set just to get everything right.

Thanks for the complements, but I was a little embarrassed after I saw the photos. The camera must spray dust on them. <G> I really had wiped them down before taking the photos.

Best,

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links