Kimber Ultra II thoughts

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra II thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, with a dozen or so posts ahead of this one you realize that there are some strong opinions out there. In gearhead terms, you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra II thoughts

Well, with a dozen or so posts ahead of this one you realize that there are some strong opinions out there. In gearhead terms, you didn't just ask "bored-out small block versus big block?" you threw in "Ford or Chevy?" on top of it.

Since it appears that this isn't your first handgun and you are already familiar with Glocks, you at least know how they feel in your hand. To complete your research (which is part of the fun, to be sure) I would look around for a range that rents 1911s or maybe a friend (or DC member in your area?) and get some "cockpit time" with the gun. I personally appreciate the grip of a 1911 better than that of the chunky Glock (I own a G23), but the point is that you need to know what feels good in your hand.

You didn't state if you were going with .45 in the Kimber, but clearly you give up capacity with the Kimber compared to the G19 - 7+1 vs 15+1. That may give you pause to think. Beyond the capacity, .45 ACP in a 3" 1911 vs. 9mm in a 4" Glock will probably have more felt recoil and recovery between shots will be slower.

Lastly, and this is strictly opinion, if I were to choose just one gun for nightstand as well as daily carry, I would be choosing between a 4" 1911 and a Glock. The extra size of the Commander profile adds controllability, additional sight radius, and an extra round of capacity while giving up little in concealability.

FWIW, the G23 is my "car gun" because of the greater likelihood of rough treatment, and the Pro CDPII is my nightstand and serious carry gun. If you force my hand, I would advise you to pick the Glock for greater overall reliability and tolerance of negligent maintenance. But do get the night sights!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

I carry a Kimber Tactical II Ultra most everyday. If eats anything I feed it and never fails me. I'm a retired firearms instructor or 35 years, I know reliability.

Take care, flea

This is going to serve many purposes for you: Home, Carry and Competition. I don't know your budget or how often you plan to shoot. I don't know what climate you live in. However, for the following criteria, the Glock Wins:

Reliability: Glock
    Accuracy: Glock - unless you went with a Pro or Standard Government length barrel
    Cost: Glock
    Cost for ammo: Glock (9 mm and 40 versus 45)
    Availability of ammo: Glock (40 and 9mm versus 45)
    Ease of maintenance: Glock
    Break in period: Glock (vs Kimber's 500 rounds)
    Customer service: Glock
    Aesthetics: Kimber

I have a Glock 23 and a 27. Both are easy to conceal. The reliability is excellent and there was no break in period. I did put Meprolights in both.

I have a Pro Raptor II and Ultra Raptor II. They are both excellent bit being used, I am treating them to a break in of my own. The springs are coming in this week for the recoil rod. Both are accurate. The Ultra is more reliable, for now. Styling is amazing. Both are thin enough for EDC. They are both a pain to clean, take apart and put together, unlike the Glocks.

The 3" barrels have been known to be more finicky and because of aluminum frames, have more recoil. It was stated by an expert that it takes about 25% more practice (I don't believe that once you realize how to shoot it).

Only you can decide what you want. Sounds like you are all set on a 3" 1911. I would strongly recommend a 4.25" barrel instead. Either way, you need to shoot each type to know how YOU can handle it.

Whatever choice you make, it should be based upon what you can physically and financially handle. Good luck.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Sponsor
    I own and carry a Kiimber Ultra Carry II w/Crimson Trace Grips. Have never had a failure, eats anything i feed it. I carry it everyday. Love it. I wear it in a Milt Sparks VM-2

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Lots of great feedback, I may stick with the flock as planned. I have a few weeks to research.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I have had 0 issues with my Kimber. It is a great little gun and very accurate.

I have never owned a Glock. I have shot them and they are very accurate. That being said, they don't point for me worth a Tinker's Damn. A 1911 points perfectly for me. I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II everyday - either a 3" or a 4" depending on weather and clothing choices. Mine will and have eaten everything; mine are accurate as I can be; mine are worth every cent I paid for them. I admit, however, that my three inch needed the throat polished so that it would feed everything, but my local gunsmith did that for me. I like my Kimber. Of course, I like all 1911's.

I love shooting my Kimber UC II far more than my SA XD-45 SC! The Kimber feels better in my hands and the trigger...the trigger, is amazing! So smooth with no break to be felt. I carry the Kimber all the time. The SA is used for the house.

One thing I have noticed is that many folks get wrapped up with the idea of having as many rounds as possible available to shoot. I say that's NUTS. One should be able to defend himself with 7+1 as well as 13+1(or more), so why bother to get caught up in the bullet count. That's just me! Practice shooting and you'll be confident in your accuracy!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

. Beyond the capacity, .45 ACP in a 3" 1911 vs. 9mm in a 4" Glock will probably have more felt recoil and recovery between shots will be slower.

!
    I would have to disagree here, the Glock 19 is a MUCH softer shooter than the 3" Kimber .45's......................

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Accuracy: Glock - unless you went with a Pro or Standard Government length barrel
    I have to take issue with this. The Glock is an accurate weapon, HOWEVER, a Kimber Ultra is much more accurate. (More accurate than I am). For a carry weapon, either is plenty accurate.

I was going to get a Kimber, but heard too many negatives about the short barreled ones. I went with a G27 and am duly impressed. Nothing against the 1911 platform, I have two and like them also, but as an EDC, the G27 became my choice. I'm sure the Glock .45's are as good, I just happened to get the .40 and am satisfied.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    I would have to disagree here, the Glock 19 is a MUCH softer shooter than the 3" Kimber .45's......................
    Re-read my statement more carefully - that's exactly what I am saying.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a Glock 19 and it worked reliably without a break-in and with the original magazine(s).
    I have two Kimber Ultra II pistols, one basic the other is a stainless TLE.
    Neither Ultra Carry pistol worked properly with the factory magazine; the last round in the magazine would go nose up.
    I got some Wilson replacement magazine kits which worked properly in 2 out of 3 magazines tested. I bought two Wilson magazines, one of them also allowed the last round to go up.
    The stainless TLE would intermittently lock open when shooting hollow points, after the first 200 rounds of ball worked 100%. Bullets contacting the slide stop causing the problem; I used a diamond file on the slide stop until the problem stopped. Kimber is sending a replacement slide stop and magazines.
    I've also ordered some Tripp magazines for which I've seen favorable comments on various forums.
    Both of my Ultra's main problems were magazine related. I've now about the 500 round mark in both and expect (hope) they will be reliable with a "good" magazine.

In both cases I fired 350 rounds or so in each pistol in one day, cleaning after each 100 rounds. The basic model has Pachymar wrap around grips covering the front strap, the TLE has cut checkering. IME Pachymar will not wear your skin off after 300 rounds, cut checkering most certainly will. The point in your hand where the edge of the mainspring housing makes contact is also subject to abuse during "extended" shooting.

I could simply carry the Glock, but the Ultra shoots a 230 gr. 45 bullet as quickly (.27 sec 2nd shot time measured with a timer) and accurately (only shots that hit a 6'' circle placed 6 yards away during timed pairs count) as the 19 with it's 124 gr. 9mm.

After 500 rounds neither Kinber Ultra is ready for me to carry. I'll want at least 100 rounds of hollow points with 100% reliability through the new magazine(s)

Ammo isn't cheap, especially 45 HP. Winchester "white box" ball is about $30 for 100 rounds and "white box" HP around $30 for 50 rounds at the "mart". You will easily spend $180 or so for that 500 round "break-in"
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    So I am still in my researching stages for my firearm purchase. I have been planning on a Glock 19, I mean how could one go wrong and what is an easier firearm to learn (having had one for one of my first pistols).

I have been seeing the Kimber Ultra II's going for between 800 and 900. I just checked the Kimber website and was very impressed with what I seen. One draw back is that I see they only give a 1 year warranty and I think the firearms only come with one 7rd magazine.

As one who has never had anything bigger than a 9mm, nor ever had a 1911 I am needing the opinions of the experts. The firearm will be a daily carry, nightstand gun and maybe a few IDPA events (never participated but am wanting to).

Would I be better off buying the Glock ($500 roughly) or spending the extra money and buy a Kimber?

Open a web browser and go to a search engine. Once there do two searches. Search "Glock 19 problems" and search "Kimber Ultra Problems" That should be pretty much all the info you need to convince you to go with the glock (First). Don't get me wrong. I think the Kimber is a good gun. But if this purchase is going to serve as a primary carry you just can't beat the Glock 19 for reliability. Personally I would buy the glock and then save you pennies and buy a Kimber later on down the road.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Agree with above. I own a Glock 19 that has fired perfectly for years (and I am a Sig guy normally). I bought a Kimber UC II (the three inch), and could not get through the 500 round break in period. The pistol had all of the issues commonly discussed and finally became more a chore than a joy. The pistol has been to Kimber twice and currently seems to be working better, but I can never trust the pistol to be a CCW weapon, which was the reason I bought the thing. I still love the 1911 platform, but would not recommend the Kimber for CCW.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links