Kimber Ultra II thoughts

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra II thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am still in my researching stages for my firearm purchase. I have been planning on a Glock 19, I mean how could one ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra II thoughts

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Kimber Ultra II thoughts

So I am still in my researching stages for my firearm purchase. I have been planning on a Glock 19, I mean how could one go wrong and what is an easier firearm to learn (having had one for one of my first pistols).

I have been seeing the Kimber Ultra II's going for between 800 and 900. I just checked the Kimber website and was very impressed with what I seen. One draw back is that I see they only give a 1 year warranty and I think the firearms only come with one 7rd magazine.

As one who has never had anything bigger than a 9mm, nor ever had a 1911 I am needing the opinions of the experts. The firearm will be a daily carry, nightstand gun and maybe a few IDPA events (never participated but am wanting to).

Would I be better off buying the Glock ($500 roughly) or spending the extra money and buy a Kimber?
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

EAJ
    I own a few Glock’s (19 & 30) and several 1911’s (Springfield Armory & Dan Wesson). Based upon your needs I would say the Glock 19 is a better choice.

I’ve also been attracted to Kimber 1911’s, but I’ve read enough negative reviews about quality and customer service in recent years that I’ve avoided purchasing one. That said, I have a friend that owns an older model and seems content with it.

I’ve had initial issues with a few of my Springfield Armory 1911’s however they were quickly and easily resolved. Springfield Armory sets a high standard I wish all manufacturers would follow; lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. When I shop for a 1911 it’s one of the pre-requisites I look for. Good luck. :)

No expert here, but I own both. Presently I own three Glocks and one Kimber. I can't speak for to all the negative stuff on the Kimber cause mine has been perfect from day one, and I've had no issues to date. I can say that outa the two platforms I think the Kimber is by far a better shooter, but for reliability the nod would go to the Glock. BY saying that I'm not saying the Kimber, or any 1911 can't be as reliable as the Glock, but the Glocks seem to be a little more on the forgiving side as far as low maintenance goes.

My opinion, the Trigger on the Kimber is much better, not the best for sure, but for a stock trigger system it could be a lot worse. The accuracy is a fair bit better too, but mostly due the barrel, IMO a good shooter could easily do just as well with a stock Glock. I've had mine for just a few months and love it. I carry it often, but since it's been so hot here in Atlanta I've opted for the PPK and Sig as daily carry. My Glocks and Kimber share the safe for the time being.

I think you can't really go wrong with either or, if it was me, as long as I had Glock, I'd go for the Kimber and vise versa. I like variety when it comes to my pistols and both are awesome platforms in their own rights, each has it own set of pros and cons like everything else.

Good luck with your decission.

GBK
    PPKman likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the comments to so far. I had a Glock in the past and liked it, it was not a CCW weapon since we did not have it here at the time. My concern with the Glock is no manual safety where the 1911 has one, but then I am not sure how comfortable, for a bit anyways carring with a hammer in the back position. Choices choices.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

GM
    I should go for the Kimber. You can not compare the Glock’s trigger with the 1911’s trigger, and Kimbers are very nice firearms. However, be aware that it might be your first 1911, but absolutely not the last . But you do not need to worry about the manual safety; none of my DAO have manual safety and carry them chambered.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm in a similar position but deciding between a G 36 and the kimber. I'm interested to see more peoples opinions

I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II as well as several Glocks. All the Glocks were flawless, however I did have some problems with the Kimber jamming. It was a beautiful gun and accurate but not dependable as a carry gun. When I called Kimber customer service they did not appear to eager to have me send the gun in for repair. My own personal opinion is that Kimber is living on a past reputation and that the newer guns have some quality issues. Go with the Glock, if you have to have a 1911 look at Springfield Armory, they seem much more reliable and have great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II as well as several Glocks. All the Glocks were flawless, however I did have some problems with the Kimber jamming. It was a beautiful gun and accurate but not dependable as a carry gun. When I called Kimber customer service they did not appear to eager to have me send the gun in for repair. My own personal opinion is that Kimber is living on a past reputation and that the newer guns have some quality issues. Go with the Glock, if you have to have a 1911 look at Springfield Armory, they seem much more reliable and have great customer service.
    If Springfield made a 3in or so 1911 it would be a considerable firearm. With my body and such I dont think I could conceal a fullsize 5in 1911. It is not a must have for me, I just have been bit by a bug lately making me want to drink the adult beverages instead of the Kool-Aid, LOL. I just want something I can be happy with and not feel the need for a replacment a month or two down the road, which I have done with my last 3 or so gun buys.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I have a Pro CDP, and Ultra CDP. I prefer the Pro CDP, <avitar to the left> 4" bbl and full length grip frame, but that's me. A set of Hoague grippers with finger grooves would really feel good on the ULTRA gun you're considering. Gives you a little bit more to hang onto while firing the gun.
    PPKman likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    If Springfield made a 3in or so 1911 it would be a considerable firearm. With my body and such I dont think I could conceal a fullsize 5in 1911. It is not a must have for me, I just have been bit by a bug lately making me want to drink the adult beverages instead of the Kool-Aid, LOL. I just want something I can be happy with and not feel the need for a replacment a month or two down the road, which I have done with my last 3 or so gun buys.
    Springfield has/had a 3" gun, but they had troubles with FTF/FTE in the gun for some unknown reason.
    A Colt Agent 45 ACP might be in your future, or if you can find one, a Colt Defender would be a great choice too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

The Glock is a fine product. But it is by no means a Kimber. Any Kimber 1911 for that matter. I have two a CDP Ultra and a regular stainless Procarry II and they both shoot circles around my Glocks. If you can afford the Kimber,, go for it.
    PPKman likes this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I've got a Glock 19, Glock 26, Kimber UCII, Para P-13, and a few assorted other handguns, and as much as I like the 1911 platform, I have to say the the Glock is the better carry weapon.......dead nuts reliable, simple, safe operation, no manual safety to worry about, it just doesn't get any better...............

YMMV

Lon

I've had three Kimber CDP's, an Ultra, a Compact, and a Pro. All were great shooters, and contrary to some opinions...mine were perfectly great shooters. I traded the Pro to get the Compact...same barrel length of the Pro, but the shorter grip of the Ultra.
    Since taking a point shooting course, I have decided that the Kimbers are going to sit in the safe and my Glock-36 (or sometimes the Glock-26) would be my EDC. The Kimbers were/are great guns, but the Glocks simple out match the 1911 for dependability, simplicity, and cost.
    It's hard to beat a Glock. If I were deciding between a Kimber 1911 and a Glock-19...the Glock wins hands down. The Glock-19 is my next purchase.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To say am shocked that everyone is suggesting the Glock over the 1911 would be an understatement. I honestly thought everyone would say the 1911 would win hands down. I still need to get to a range and rent a 1911, I already know the Glock. I only fear having nothing stopping it from leaving a Glock streak down my leg if a string gets caught during reholstering.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    To say am shocked that everyone is suggesting the Glock over the 1911 would be an understatement. I honestly thought everyone would say the 1911 would win hands down. I still need to get to a range and rent a 1911, I already know the Glock. I only fear having nothing stopping it from leaving a Glock streak down my leg if a string gets caught during reholstering.
    It's not so much Glock over 1911, it's Glock over Kimber.

Given the choice between a G19 and an Ultra, I'd take the G19 in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links