Pocket Handgun

Pocket Handgun

This is a discussion on Pocket Handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently conceal carry here in Costa Rica an HK USP Compact .40 S&W or a Walther P99AS 9mm and I'm debating which pocket handgun ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar

Pocket Handgun

I currently conceal carry here in Costa Rica an HK USP Compact .40 S&W or a Walther P99AS 9mm and I'm debating which pocket handgun to purchase. The reason I am looking at purchasing a pocket gun is that it would make it much easier to conceal carry at work and the beach. Therefore, I'm looking at the Ruger LCP and the S&W 642 j frame revolver (.38 special). I am primarily leaning towards the S&W 642 because of its solid reliability and much better stopping power but I'm attracted to the Ruger LCP's concealability, higher mag capacity, lower price and the fact that it is a semi-automatic which I prefer over revolvers.

Based on your experience in CCW in the US, which handgun would you recommend? Should I be looking at the Glock 26? Is it easy to carry it in a pocket holster or is it too bulky for this type of carry method?

The Glock-26 would be a little on the bulky side for pocket carry, but it would be your best choice.IMHO
    I'd get the Glock and an IWB holster...dependability is the key here.

Added: Then a KelTec P-3AT would work just fine.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; September 6th, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The Glock-26 would be a little on the bulky side for pocket carry, but it wold be your best choice.IMHO
    I'd get the Glock and an IWB holster...dependability is the key here.
    Thanks for your quick reply! I currently carry my Walther P99ASc on a IWB holster so this would be very similar to the Glock 26. I need a pocket gun that I can carry when I have to tuck my shirt in or at the beach inside my cargo shorts or swim trunks (obviously not going in the water!). Would you recommend a j frame 5 shot hammerless revolver or a small .380 pistol like the Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P-3AT?

I have an LCP and it is my most carried pocket gun. It has been flawless out of the box and I totally trust it. I also carry pocket carry a S&W mod.36 and a Bersa CC from time to time but the LCP is my favorite. It is so slim and light you sometimes forget you even have it with you.

LCP vs revolver in a pocket carry role. My vote would be the LCP over the revolver anyday. Better ballistics with the .38, but the .380 used correctly and with the proper round selection can level any concerns between the two. Both rounds have been around forever and both have put plenty a BG toes up. I'd select the one that fits my carry needs over concerns of inadequate stopping power. That is unless you plan to save ammo and only use one round whenever you need to defend your life.

I agree with retsupt99 on the G26 being just to big for the pocket role. The one time I tried it, a county sheriff was in the corner store at the same time and I couldn't help but think he suspected something , but said nothing..

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the feedback! Does the j frame revolver fit nicely in the pocket (jeans, shorts, slacks, khakis, etc.) or is it too bulky? This is a big deal for me as I want something that I can throw in a desantis nemesis pocket holster and forget about it for the rest of the day. I don't want to have a brick in my pocket all day, but I also don't want to have a mouse gun that will only stop lizards and mice. Also, in terms of accuracy (pocket .380 vs j frame), which is easier to shoot?

Other than the Ruger LCP, which other pocket .380 pistols would you recommend? I have also looked at the Kel Tec P-3AT but I'm unsure with regards to its reliability. How about the Sig Sauer P232, Walther PPK and the Taurus 738 TCP?

It's such a personal thing; I would rather the j-frame, myself. I can just shoot it better than the LCP.

If you want to carry the G26, have a look at the SmartCarry.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Other than the Ruger LCP, which other pocket .380 pistols would you recommend? I have also looked at the Kel Tec P-3AT but I'm unsure with regards to its reliability. How about the Sig Sauer P232, Walther PPK and the Taurus 738 TCP?
    I have the PPK, Sig P238, LCP and the DB380 to choose from and I pretty much look at um in that order regarding overall quality. IMO the PPK is equal to the P232 like the LCP is equal to the P-3AT. The TCP has some questionable reviews, but from what I've read they appear to be iffy at best. That's not sayin much cause the Sig P238 has the same iffy reviews from some folks. I have a P238 and so far all has been perfect, but I don't doubt that some have been sold that are having reliability issues. If I had to recommend just one pistol it'd be a toss up between the Sig P232 and the INTERARMS PPK.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The LCP is great for pocket carry.

I carry a Ruger LCR 38 and before that carried a S&W 642. Looking at changing to a Kel Tec PF9 - prefer 9mm to 380, very slim and easily concealable in a pocket holster. I have shot a friends and find recoil manageable - he and another friend with one claim them to be reliable enough to carry

I carry the Kel-tec P3AT, flawless with over 500 rounds, FMJ and Gold Dots.

My wife carries a Sig P232, about the size of the smallest 9mm's on the market, much more fun to shoot, but less concealable.

The Ruger LCP and Kel-tec P3AT are hands down the lightest and smallest semi autos available that are also budget priced.

VIP Member
    I would go with the S&W 642 - wait, I did go with it. The other gun I pocket carry is a Taurus PT145 Pro. Either are easy to carry. The 642 is a bit lighter. I personally don't have a .380 and don't feel the need to go to one.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The LCP is a great gun, but I like and recommend the Taurus TCP as in my opinion I think it is a little better than the LCP. Some people hate Taurus, but ALL manufactures have problems. Whatever you choose make sure you are comfortable with your decision and try out the weapon first if you can. God Bless

I have an LCP and carry it most of the time. The new TCP from Taurus as well as the slim line are interesting. Another 380 to consider would be the Bersa CC Thunder 380. It is a nice looking little pistol and is one that I am considering myself.

Good Luck!

I have the LCP and several other compact ,sub compact carry pieces. Ţhe LCP is carried the most!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links