Ladies what do you carry? - Page 2

Ladies what do you carry?

This is a discussion on Ladies what do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife carries a p32 cause 3at ammo costs too much. she always has it in the small of her back....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wife carries a p32 cause 3at ammo costs too much. she always has it in the small of her back.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    When my wife was looking for her carry gun, we went together and I told her to just start trying out the various pistols they had on the wall.
    I said, "If ya find one that fits, holler." Off I went to look at ammo.
    About ten minutes later she calls out to me that she found the one that fits. I saw she was holding an HK P2000 V3 in 9mm.
    She looked at the price and went pale. I just said, "Don't worry, Baby, you are worth much more than that to me. If you don't like it you won't carry it."
    She now has the nicest pistol in the house and has it with her 24/7.
    Oh my gosh I have tears in my eyes. Go for the gold.

My wife tried my PM9 back when I had it - she felt it was too heavy. She also fired a snubbie at the range - she hit well with it, but she did not like the thickness of it, and the recoil bothered her.

She now carries a Ruger LCP, in a bellyband. She has some difficulty with the slide, which isn't helped by her being a lefty. It is also a bit snappy for her - after about 50 rounds, she is done. For now, it works for her. If she shows an interest in trying something different, I'll support whatever she wants to do.

I had suggested one of the Berettas with the tip-up barrel, but the grip was thick and the safety was on the wrong side. Ah well...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

My wife had been carrying a S&W PD340 for years. However, she has fallen head over heels for the S&W .380 Bodyguard. Sooo we boought her one. She claims that she can get off double taps more effectively, the recoil is more manageable and that it is more concealable. We have had our fair share of problems with this guns reliablility but they seem to have been resolved and we are building our confidence by maximizing the no. of rounds fired each week. It should be noted that my wife is a certified NRA instructor and Cowboy Action shooter so she is quite an accomplished shooter, which helps.

Definitely let her choose. I was thinking a 642 snubbie like mine would be perfect for her and after her researching online she thought the same thing but after she took it to the range and spent some time with it... she hated it with a passion. She said "I cannot carry that gun!" She looked at several brands/styles from Kahr to Kimber, Sig to S&W and when it was all said and done she just love my little SA XD9 sub compact too much. It was the right size she wanted. She liked the weight. She liked the capacity. It had the specific safety features she was looking for. And when she uses mine at the range she doesn't wanna give it up... she loves it that much. So she decided to get the two-tone version of the XD9sc for herself as soon as her permit comes in within the next few months.

I would prefer she get a black like mine (I think it has its advantages) but she likes the look of the two-tone (who can blame her... it looks great), and since she is probably gonna purse carry the color isn't gonna matter. I would prefer she not purse carry and she holster up on her body but it doesn't matter what *I* prefer. This is her baby and I want her to do it exactly like she wants and how she feels most comfortable doing it.

Senior Moderator
    +1 for Lima

My wife likes the Taurus PT-111 much more than the revolvers that I first (and stupidly) tried to steer her towards.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    It's actually quite interesting to note that many women shied away from the tiny little pocket guns in favor of something they felt they could really hang on to. .
    That's exactly what happend with my wife. She came home with a Ruger SP101 .357 and said "i want to feel like it would do some damage if I hit someone with it" She hates my XD.

Same thing with my wife! She just got her permit and we went to the range, I thought a small gun like the lcp would be good but she hated shooting it! Even a kahr cw9 was too snappy for her. The revolvers she tried were okay but she had a hard time with the long trigger pulls. Her first shots with the s&w mp9c though punched a ragged golf ball shaped hole in the target at about 5 yards and she loved how it felt in her hand. It's big enough that the recoil isn't an issue and small enough to fit her and be concealable on her tiny frame.

I love shooting it myself! I'm also happy that this is a gun she LIKES to shoot so I'm sure she'll get plenty of practice with the gun and be really comfortable with it if anything ever happened where she needed it.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

As a lady picking my first gun, I knew i had to handle and choose but I didn't know where to begin. I ended up with a Glock 19, here's why:

Not a lot of extras. The hammer on the 1911 looked too intimidating for me (Please don't laugh, but that was my first impression of it and a few others with exposed hammers). i thought it was too much to worry if i had to cock it or not.
    Not a lot of extras. The safety is on the trigger. I don't have to fool with a thumb safety. My fingers are too small to handle any. I also didn't want to be in a situation where i needed to shoot only to realize i couldn't because the safety was on. I like the point and shoot of the Glock.
    The size. It worked. Again, i have small hands (think kids large gloves!) but the 26 felt like it wanted to keep pointing down. The 19 just felt natural to me.

Now that i've been shooting more, the 1911 isn't intimidating at all (Please no comments on the hammer, i didn't know better at the time) I think my favorite caliber is the .40, but i just love the 19 and wouldn't want to trade it for anything. My hubby doesn't like it because of the grip angle, but he's thrilled i found what i like.

I also have to point out the salesman just handled them so fast in clearing, racking the slide and so on that I didn't feel like i could process it all. You might want to show her on you handgun, the basic principle of how it all works. I think that's why i immediately tuned out the other guns.

And I conceal it just fine now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritestuff View Post
    ...I ended up with a Glock 19
    ...And I conceal it just fine now!
    Me too. I use a bellyband to appendix carry or behind the hip at about 4:00.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links