Range report sig sauer c3

This is a discussion on Range report sig sauer c3 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so with the help and assistance of my wonderful bride I acquired a new Sig Sauer GSR 1911 C3 over this past weekend. Got ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Range report sig sauer c3

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724

    Wink Range report sig sauer c3

    Okay, so with the help and assistance of my wonderful bride I acquired a new Sig Sauer GSR 1911 C3 over this past weekend.

    Got a good deal (IMHO) in trading a Taurus PUBLIC DEFENDER model of the Judge and $550 in cash + tax. Since I only paid about $30 for the new Judge (with another trade of an older gun) I figure I'm still ahead of the game.

    Anyway, I took her to the range today and discovered some interesting points that will have to be addressed before I can start to carry this gun everyday.

    #1 It doesn't feed Cor-Bon DPX ammo, either on an initial load (top of the magazine) or any subsequent load. It hangs up. I'll bet the CorBon presents a sharp OGIVE in the configuration of the projectile.

    All the rest of the ammo I use for self defense fed well. No problems. I even tried some 230gr Black Talon I had laying around. I never carry the stuff, but I do have 500rds for that rainy day...

    #2 I put just about 200 rounds thru it today and I literally couldn't shoot anymore. Too PAINFUL. BLOODY PAINFUL. The front checkering on the grip, while nice to look at it, is so sharp I literally ripped layers of skin off. I went beyond blisters to blood. Those have to GO. Either removed or covered.

    #3 Slide doesn't lock back on the last round with the mags provided. Slide did lock on the standard length surplus mags for a Gov't 1911 and the two Wilson mags I had. I may purchase three more of the Wilsons that won't stick out quite so much. So odd that the factory supplied mags were like that.

    I did take the time to squirt the gun down with more lube as I continued to fire strings and THAT helped quite a bit.

    Accuracy is SUPERB inasmuch as point of aim and point of impact. I was able to shoot one ragged hole at about 15 feet. Of course my aging eyes work against me and I had a very tough time picking up my front sight. I suspect I'll wind up putting some CT Laser grips on this gun. Those ultra thing grips are beautiful and they make the gun feel smaller. But I think it's too much of a good thing here, at least for a gun one expects to shoot much and a carry gun has to become an extension of the soul. I think the CT grips designed for the Colt Defender will work on the C3. That might also solve the issue of the front checkering.

    None of these small glitches changes my mind on this little gun. With some polishing and some effort, this could be one of the best weapons I have ever owned. I think it's going to be worth it.
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    GM
    GM is online now
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    I agree; I think it was a good deal. I am sorry that you are having some feeding problems; my 9mm and .45 ACP SD ammo is Corbon DPX and I really like it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I agree; I think it was a good deal. I am sorry that you are having some feeding problems; my 9mm and .45 ACP SD ammo is Corbon DPX and I really like it.
    It's possible the corbon is too long (not enough bullet seating) and that was a suggestion from a friend of mine. I'll have to see.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    I spoke to Sig yesterday. Guy named Mark in customer service. He said that he would email me an RMA label to stick on the box to return to Sig and that everything would be covered by the warranty. He also requested that I include a note to Sig detailing the complaints and he also said that taking down the front strap checkering would be covered. He also suggested that since my gun was going to be in the custom shop anyway, why didn't I choose from some of the very inexpensive upgrades for my gun? I did go and look at those and this is what I included in my note:

    ISSUES:
    1. SLIDE WON’T LOCK BACK ON BOTH FACTORY MAGS AFTER FIRING THE LAST SHOT.
    2. WON’T FEED SOME HOLLOWPOINT AMMO, SPECIFICALLY COR-BON DPX
    3. FRONT STRAP CHECKERING IS TOO SHARP FOR COMFORTABLE EXTENDED SHOOTING (CAUSES FINGERS TO BLISTER AND BLEED), SO PLEASE REMOVE & SMOOTH THE CHECKERING. DO SOMETHING TO MAKE SURE THE AREA ISN’T SUBJECT TO RUST. NOTE: I looked at the services offered and don’t need to take advantage of any, except I think the feed ramp package should be done as warranty work on MY gun since there is obviously a problem and this is my new everyday “carry gun” to which I will trust my life and the lives of my family & friends.

    ExSoldier: So we'll see what happens now. The UPS central shipping facility for Miami isn't open on the weekends, so I have to wait till Monday. I'll keep y'all posted.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I spoke to Sig yesterday. Guy named Mark in customer service. He said that he would email me an RMA label to stick on the box to return to Sig and that everything would be covered by the warranty. He also requested that I include a note to Sig detailing the complaints and he also said that taking down the front strap checkering would be covered. He also suggested that since my gun was going to be in the custom shop anyway, why didn't I choose from some of the very inexpensive upgrades for my gun? I did go and look at those and this is what I included in my note:

    ISSUES:
    1. SLIDE WON’T LOCK BACK ON BOTH FACTORY MAGS AFTER FIRING THE LAST SHOT.
    2. WON’T FEED SOME HOLLOWPOINT AMMO, SPECIFICALLY COR-BON DPX
    3. FRONT STRAP CHECKERING IS TOO SHARP FOR COMFORTABLE EXTENDED SHOOTING (CAUSES FINGERS TO BLISTER AND BLEED), SO PLEASE REMOVE & SMOOTH THE CHECKERING. DO SOMETHING TO MAKE SURE THE AREA ISN’T SUBJECT TO RUST. NOTE: I looked at the services offered and don’t need to take advantage of any, except I think the feed ramp package should be done as warranty work on MY gun since there is obviously a problem and this is my new everyday “carry gun” to which I will trust my life and the lives of my family & friends.

    ExSoldier: So we'll see what happens now. The UPS central shipping facility for Miami isn't open on the weekends, so I have to wait till Monday. I'll keep y'all posted.
    ExSoldier,

    As far as Hollow Points, this is common in 1911's. Try golden sabers or hornady critical defense, they are closer in shape to ball ammo and they seem to feed very well. Both are very good SD rounds anyway. As far as the checkering they should be able to knock that down a little for you.

    By the way, how do you like the trigger on that bad boy? I have not shot a Sig 1911 and was curious.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    ExSoldier, As far as Hollow Points, this is common in 1911's. Try golden sabers or hornady critical defense, they are closer in shape to ball ammo and they seem to feed very well. Both are very good SD rounds anyway. As far as the checkering they should be able to knock that down a little for you. By the way, how do you like the trigger on that bad boy? I have not shot a Sig 1911 and was curious.
    I did love the trigger on the C3, very little take up and probably broke clean at around 4 pounds. That's just a guess based on experience. I didn't have the necessary mechanism on hand to officially tell. There is an over travel stop so when it breaks the shot, there is very little further travel before reset. I'm hoping Sig will do the feed ramp package as part of the warranty repair (it costs less than $30), so I think it's not a lot to ask. Last time I used that specific phrase when sending a gun in for warranty work, it was about 20 years ago and it was a new Ruger SP101, first generation that ONLY loaded 125gr ammo and it even specified such on the barrel! That time Ruger sent me a brand new gun, an upgraded 2nd generation that loaded and fired all weights of 38/357 ammo. Have to see.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    20,444
    ExSoldier, I had a Sig RCS (dehorned version of the C3) that I loved. Unfortunately I was forced to part with it. She ate anything I threw at it and begged for more. As you noted the trigger was crisp, accuracy of the gun was much better than I am. I'm sure Sig will do you right.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    ExSoldier, I had a Sig RCS (dehorned version of the C3) that I loved. Unfortunately I was forced to part with it. She ate anything I threw at it and begged for more. As you noted the trigger was crisp, accuracy of the gun was much better than I am. I'm sure Sig will do you right.
    Huh! So that's what the RCS means! Mine is the RCS C3.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  10. #9
    Member Array Striker543's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    144
    Ex Soldier:

    Not to hijack your thread, but I'm just south of you part of the time in Pinecrest. What range do you shoot at? I know of Trail Glades, but it's awefully hot to be out there right now.

    BTW, VERY nice gun!

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    Ex Soldier:

    Not to hijack your thread, but I'm just south of you part of the time in Pinecrest. What range do you shoot at? I know of Trail Glades, but it's awefully hot to be out there right now.

    BTW, VERY nice gun!
    Check your mailbox here. I sent you a PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  12. #11
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,267

    Thumbs up

    THAT is a beautiful Sig!
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,089
    Thank you for the report, I've been hamkering for one of these.

  14. #13
    New Member Array JOHND513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1

    New Sig Sauer 1911 traditional 4 1/2" choking on DPX!

    I use DPX in all my SD weapons. But first day out with my new 1911 and she choked up on every load. And she choked good too! I had to lock the slide back and dig out the magazines with my fingernail. Please tell me how the factory does with your warranty work and if DPX fires through the gun. Also, who you spoke with there and what kind of experience you have - return time, etc. My 1911 is also vying for a spot as my daily carry defense pistol.

    My 1911 shot 100 rounds of 230 ball but this was my firsttime shooting this gun and oh yea, the front strapping is rough, but I'm hoping to get used to it.


    Thanks, JohnD513

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    UPDATE:

    So funny that somebody "discovers" a thread long after it's resolution. So I figure I should give a long overdue update.

    Sig was of practically NO help at all. They found that the weapon was performing according to specs. They also did nothing about the sharp checkering -- same story. SO I gave it to my ever faithful local gunsmith -- a guy whom I hold in very high regard, to the point that often his waiting list is months long for turn around. HE removed the checkering and covered just that area in Duracoat. He also did a feed polish/throat job. Removing the checkering absolutely voided the factory warranty and I was okay with that. As I suspected and he confirmed: DPX is too long to be used in my RCS C3 He also recommended against using any +P+ ammo in the gun since it is an aluminum frame and these will tend to batter it into a shorter lifespan and more potential malfunctions. I take this guy at his word. DPX seems fine for my Glock M30 but there are so many other high performance loads available with better ballistics.

    Velocity isn't necessarily the end all be all. I think reliable expansion and penetration is more important. Critical Defense is a good example. So is possibly the new Guard Dog ammo from Federal (??). I also like MAGSAFE as a primary mag load but only for here in South Florida. When I leave for a colder climate, that will necessarily change. I know a lot of folks have conflicts with this ammo as with my other fav load from RBCD and that's fine as long as they remember that this is solely MY choice for my personal carry guns, it's not something I recommend to anybody or for anybody -- so please hold your fire on this, okay?

    ANYWAY, I'm still loving my C3 RCS as a primary carry gun, but I also still carry my H&K P30 AND my Glock 30 at times. I am also seriously contemplating the purchase of a Sig Sauer P220 "Carry" for some further diversification. My only constant on any of these is the aftermarket addition of a laser grip and tritium sights. Either those that come with the product (Sig for example) or such superior products as those produced by Trijicon or Meprolight.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; January 8th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Range Report: Sig Sauer P250 Subcompact 9mm
    By AdamSean in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 30th, 2012, 07:10 PM
  2. Sig Sauer 226 range report
    By ks kid in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 5th, 2011, 03:40 AM
  3. Sig Sauer P238 Range Report
    By AdamSean in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
  4. Oh boy, here comes another SIG SAUER P238 range report
    By Zach and Holly in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: August 31st, 2010, 06:14 PM
  5. Sig Sauer 556 Range Report *PICS*
    By Medic218 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 11th, 2010, 03:20 AM

Search tags for this page

sig c3
,
sig c3 holster
,
sig c3 review
,
sig sauer 1911 c3 holster
,
sig sauer 1911 c3 laser grips
,
sig sauer 1911 c3 review
,

sig sauer c3

,
sig sauer c3 grips
,
sig sauer c3 holster
,
sig sauer c3 review
,
sig sauer gsr 1911 c3
,
sig saur c3
Click on a term to search for related topics.