Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned - Page 2

Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another upgrade to look into is new recoil springs from Wolff Springs. You can buy a calibration pack from them directly that has #11, #12 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned

Another upgrade to look into is new recoil springs from Wolff Springs. You can buy a calibration pack from them directly that has #11, #12 and #13 pound springs.

I called Ruger as well. They mentioned a 75 round break in and if I have issues after that to send it in. I'm believing it was 2 bad cases as everything else was perfect.

This was the thread I needed, thanks for the posts. I went shooting yesterday also, I wanted to break-in my LCP and my Kimber Compact cdp. I had to two or three rounds fail to eject, I only shot a handfull of rounds threw it before Monday. Forgot how long the trigger pull was on the LCP that took some getting used to. I was shooting "American Eagle" 380 auto 95 GR. FMJ/ Winchester 95 GR. FMJ So like you I hope it was just the the break-in thing ? On the kimber break-in, it was Flawless I/We put more than 300 rounds threw it and it just kept going Bang,and silky silky smooth. Goodluck with the LCP Cdknox.

I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point. First any auto needs 200+ rds through them to break-in and become 100% reliable. Second I have never been a fan of Remington ammo. Try some Winchester, Federal, or CCI brand and see if it works any better with a particular brand. Semi-autos can be ammo sensitive, especially pocket size ones. Third, watch out for "limp wristing" jams while shooting your LCP. All polymer auto's can be sensitive to this, again, especially pocket size polymer autos. Take a firm grip and lock your wrist tight when about to fire. Hopefully these tips will help. Let us know how it works out.
    God & Guns!

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hello,

While I don't believe in extensive "break-in" periods, I to believe that anything mechanical needs a wear-in period.

The very first thing I did with mine was to buy two different brands of ammunition: local reloads and a box of Double Tap HP (the good stuff, before they began having QC issues).

I cleaned the pistol, reassembled it, then sent the reloads down the range as fast as I could pull the trigger, with minimal aiming. The idea was to get the spring and other parts worn in.

I've not had any malfunctions during or after the break-in period.

Josh

Yes, I would be very concerned. If the problem is limp wrist then changing ammo won't help you. I personally don't like these little light weight guns. I hear this problem all the time. A little more weight can be a good thing. A heaver gun will have less recoil allowing faster second shot recovery and will help eject the spent cartridge better. A move up to a quality more powerful 9mm like a Kahr or Walther would be a logical step in the right direction.

Select the gun that you think will do the job THEN figure out the best way to carry it.

Here is a question for you... if you knew that when you walk out of your house this afternoon you'd be involved in a gun fight which of the following hand guns would you want to have? 1. a .380 LCP (7 rounds) 2. Kahr PM9 9mm (7 rounds) 3. .40 cal Glock 27 (10 rounds) 4. 45 ACP Glock 30 (11 rounds) 5. 357 Sig M&P compact (11 rounds)
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

My normal carry is a Ruger SP101 or Sig P229. However being skinny its not as easy concealing these in shorts and a t-shirt. If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight I'd bring a rifle or my brother who's in the 82nd for back up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    My normal carry is a Ruger SP101 or Sig P229. However being skinny its not as easy concealing these in shorts and a t-shirt. If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight I'd bring a rifle or my brother who's in the 82nd for back up :)
    I'd bring a shotgun BUT that is not a choice. You can only choose from one of the 5 choices of carry guns.

Here is a question for you... if you knew that when you walk out of your house this afternoon you'd be involved in a gun fight, why would you walk out the door and not stay home?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    Here is a question for you... if you knew that when you walk out of your house this afternoon you'd be involved in a gun fight, why would you walk out the door and not stay home?
    Amen.

As far as "limp wristing" a small pistol...my wife carries a LCP. She is all of 5' 2" and thin...not much hand/wrist/arm strength. She has never had an issue with her LCP functioning. FWIW.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Bingo!

Staying home was not an Option. (a rifle wasn't on the list either)

The point is...your choice of handgun should be influenced knowing you needed to actually use it to defend yourself against a bad guy.
    Instead of looking for a light weight gun to carry that's the easiest to conceal and most convenient to carry you should be looking at which one would give you the most protection if that scenario were to occur. Which is why we carry guns in the first place isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Out of the 40 rounds that I shot, I had 2 failures to extract. Should I be concerned or chalk it up to break inlimp wristing.
    One should be concerned with any failures in a potential defensive weapon, sure. IMO, only chalk up failures to the cause, not a guess. Reading only what you've posted so far, I'd say it's hard to tell for certain. This is one of the reasons that I personally have a much, much longer break-in period for any gun I'm considering having as a defensive carry gun. Until I'm able to identify and correct any issues that do occur, and until it has (for me) a minimum of 500-1000 rds error free, it's not quite reliable enough to be carried.

If you're able to run several different types of ammunition through the gun, and several hundred rounds as well, then you begin to know the gun's potential for reliability. Until then, it's all a guess and you won't really know when another failure is likely to occur.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    The LCP can be finicky with ammo. What kind were you using? That failure rate would bother me, and I would try different ammunition.

A four inch group with that gun at 30 feet would be in contention for an accuracy contest.

Have you tried the elsiepea website yet for LCP stuff in general? It's full of information.
    By al means, join, read and participate in the Elsie Pea forums. There is a ton of information. And FWIW, at this point, I would not be concerned. They need a break-in period. The fluff-&-buff proceedure gnerally cures any such issues.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I have about 200 rounds through mine with no problems ive heard from a few people that they had problems with the UMC in there LCP's didnt put any through mine though. i would try different ammo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links