Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned - Page 3

Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the help. I did join elsiepeaforum but receievd more responses here....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned

Thanks for all the help. I did join elsiepeaforum but receievd more responses here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    ...you should be looking at which one would give you the most protection if that scenario were to occur. Which is why we carry guns in the first place isn't it?
    So you carry a .500 Magnum revolver or a .50 Desert Eagle?

The decision of what to carry involves a cost/benefit analysis. Depending on the risk you've calculated, it may be better to carry a smaller pistol that is easier and more comfortable and will get the job done in many situations than to make dramatic concessions in your dress and daily activities to accommodate a larger weapon that may never come in to play and doesn't guarantee more protection.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Here is a question for you... if you knew that when you walk out of your house this afternoon you'd be involved in a gun fight which of the following hand guns would you want to have? 1. a .380 LCP (7 rounds) 2. Kahr PM9 9mm (7 rounds) 3. .40 cal Glock 27 (10 rounds) 4. 45 ACP Glock 30 (11 rounds) 5. 357 Sig M&P compact (11 rounds)
    Winchester 1300 12 Gauge with folding stock and as much buckshot and slugs as I could possibly carry. (Red Herring)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    Winchester 1300 12 Gauge with folding stock and as much buckshot and slugs as I could possibly carry. (Red Herring)
    There were 5 handgun choices from which to choose. No rifles, no shotguns.

The point is...would anyone pick the .380 LCP out of that list if they were really going to have a gunfight?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I was not trying to start a caliber debate. I know some think .380 is under powered but it's a gun if I determine to be reliable after break in that I could always have with me. My post was to determine if I should chalk the two failures up to break in as Ruger told me is typically 75 rounds. Of course if I knew I was goin to be in a gun fight I'd choose the largest handgun from that list that I could confidentally shoot with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    I was not trying to start a caliber debate. I know some think .380 is under powered but it's a gun if I determine to be reliable after break in that I could always have with me. My post was to determine if I should chalk the two failures up to break in as Ruger told me is typically 75 rounds. Of course if I knew I was goin to be in a gun fight I'd choose the largest handgun from that list that I could confidentally shoot with.
    Thats an honest reply. My intention was not to start caliber debate but rather open some eyes to the fact that the main reason to carry a hand gun is in case you have an encounter with a BG. You admit that if you actually knew you were going to have to defend yourself with the gun you would choose the "largest" handgun on the list. By the way, that list of handguns are all easy to conceal carry. None of them are considered "large" in size.

So in conclusion to the original post...

1. I would NOT carry a gun that has a FTF problem (no matter what size) reliability is paramount.
    2. You should select the gun and caliber of gun that you would use to defend yourself and THEN figure out how to carry it in the most convenient way.It's really not a problem All the guns on the list I provided can be easily carried and I would pick anyone of them over the LCP. Even you didn't pick the LCP if you knew you going to defend yourself. No one did.

Select the caliber and gun that you can confidently shoot that carries as many rounds as possible. Some great choices on that list (except the first one).
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Actually, my EDC is two LCPs. I carry a G26 while volunteering on duty, because the risk is greater while in uniform, and because it has higher capacity. Printing is not an issue while in uniform, of course.

"Dressing around your gun" (which is what you are implying) is simply not possible for everyone. I must wear a business suit, and I work with folks who are anti-gun. These same co-workers are "huggy" and also prone to "atta boy" pats on the back. So, for me, carrying a handgun around the waist or under the arm is simply not possible. I cannot afford to print at all, and I cannot afford the accidental "bump frisk."

After much trial and error, the only methods that work for me are pocket carry, and the Smartcarry. The Smartcarry does indeed allow me to carry my Glocks with complete discretion, but after using it every day for over two years, it started to cause pain by having the gun lay on the same spot when I sit down, especially while driving. So, I'm going with one LCP in each pocket. Ambidextrous access, always have a BUG, and both guns share the same spare mags. They're also compatible with my wife's carry - another LCP.

Bottom line is - don't assume everyone can conceal a large handgun, or that folks who carry smaller handguns are just too "lazy."

And to paraphrase the statement that has been attributed to a Navy SEAL - "If I shoot you twice in the chest and once in the face, caliber won't matter." Shot placement, and penetration, are the keys.

Stay safe out there...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

My main carry is either a Sig P229 or Ruger SP101 as stated above. However, when it's 105 out or otherwise my dress doesn't allow those, I was looking for something else to be armed. In no way would I feel outgunned if I need to use 7 rds of .380. Would I feel better with 12 rounds of .40 out of the Sig, hell yes. But not being able to spend hundreds on finding a holster that allows my skinny body type to conceal in shorts and a t-shirt a larger gun, the LCP will hopefully fill that role. I'm hoping after hitting the 75 round mark, the issues go away. If not, I'll send it in to Ruger to check out. In no way would I carry if I don't feel comfortable with the reliability. Thanks for all the advice. I'll try different ammo in the hopes it was just the Remington. In all honesty, I've never really liked it out of any of my guns, always felt so dirty. Unfortunately, it was all I could find locally.

Don't limit yourself to local purchases of ammo. I've bought ammo online from Cabelas, Ammunitiontogo, and Scottsdaleammo (their .380 is new brass). I think our own Tubby makes .380 ammo as well - you can PM him.

AmmoEngine is a good search site that will tell you who has what.

I've run Winchester White box, Fiocchi, S&B, the ammo from Scottsdaleammo, and probably some others through our LCPs with good results - but never the Remington UMC (as far as I can remember).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Hydros fed like a dream in mine, right out of the box, less than 30 rounds in.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    "Dressing around your gun" (which is what you are implying) is simply not possible for everyone. I must wear a business suit, and I work with folks who are anti-gun. These same co-workers are "huggy" and also prone to "atta boy" pats on the back. So, for me, carrying a handgun around the waist or under the arm is simply not possible. I cannot afford to print at all, and I cannot afford the accidental "bump frisk." .
    Exactly. That's the reason behind my "red herring" comment. I have been in a similar position, being a Director at a Big Five Accounting Firm after I retired. Printing or bump disclosures were simply not an option. When you're facing a $250,000 penalty for unintentional/avoidable disclosure, it changes your opinion about things.

Jimmy Cirillo, who was a good friend of mine, once said, "if you're going into a gunfight, you'll be wishing for the biggest handgun you can carry." I replied to Jimmy: "If I'm going into a gunfight, I am not going to be wishing for any pathetic popgun that can be fired with one hand." He conceded my point. I sure never wanted to deal with the Spetnaz with an M9.

Here is a question for you... if you knew that when you walk out of your house this afternoon you'd be involved in a gun fight which of the following hand guns would you want to have? 1. a .380 LCP (7 rounds) 2. Kahr PM9 9mm (7 rounds) 3. .40 cal Glock 27 (10 rounds) 4. 45 ACP Glock 30 (11 rounds) 5. 357 Sig M&P compact (11 rounds)
    Sig,

You're not calculating your cost/benefit properly. You have to measure the percentage of use by the benefit provided to get the real benefit. You're asking a question about the choice that would be made given a 100% chance of use. That entirely skews the benefit side of the equation.

A similar example would be:

If you knew that you would definitely twist your ankle today which of the following would you want to wear? Flip-flops, sandals, tennis shoes, dress shoes, full-height boots.

So by your example, we should ALWAYS wear full-height boots (like combat boots) in case we twist our ankles since they provide better ankle support and may prevent serious injury. Of course, we don't. We make that choice based on the likelihood of twisting our ankles compared to the benefit of wearing other shoes. This calculation is made using several factors including where we're going and what activities we're taking part in.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links