Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally had a chance to shoot my Ruger LCP this past weekend. Out of the 40 rounds that I shot, I had 2 failures ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned

Ruger LCP - Should I be concerned

I finally had a chance to shoot my Ruger LCP this past weekend. Out of the 40 rounds that I shot, I had 2 failures to extract. Should I be concerned or chalk it up to break inlimp wristing. The cases on these two looked slightly deformed around the mouth, so that may be the problem as well. All other rounds fired/ejected perfectly. As for accuracy, at 10 yards I was holding a 4" group. By no means will that win an accuracy contest but I was impressed given the lack of sights. Now to clean it and lube it back up.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The LCP can be finicky with ammo. What kind were you using? That failure rate would bother me, and I would try different ammunition.

A four inch group with that gun at 30 feet would be in contention for an accuracy contest.

Have you tried the elsiepea website yet for LCP stuff in general? It's full of information.

"The LCP can be finicky with ammo."
    I have read this in several forums.
    What ammo were you using?

wyo-man

I was using Remington UMC 95gr FMJ, which was the only amo I could find in my area. I'm hoping it was just bad ammo, as I typically have read that the LCP, "ejects and fires everything." I haven't joined the Elsiepea forum yet, but will shortly.

Look at the top of the chamber. Is there a slide mark, usually on the left side? If so, check the upper part of the slide where it contacts that point. Some of the LCP's have a protuburance on the slide that rubs there, and some have even stopped the slide from moving. A little dremel action there will fix it, although the factory should have done it already. It's not a non-fixable problem, although it should have been taken care of at the factory in my opinion. Other than that, and it only happens in relatively few of them, it's a very concealable back-up gun.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

GM
    I really dislike the UMC ammo. For a while ago I got a couple of boxes, but after firing a few rounds (or trying to) I put the boxes away. You also have to consider that new guns might have a break-in period. Just get some good ammo and get it time.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Only ammo issue we've had with our LCPs (we have 2...soon to have 3) was with PowRBall. No issues with any other ammo...but I don't recall ever firing UMC.

I'd try a different brand of ammo, and see what happens.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Definitely try a few different brands of ammunition. It should also be noted that not every LCP will be exactly the same. My LCP feeds Sellier and Bellot ammunition perfectly, but my friend's LCP has had a few stovepipes in the last round with it.

Distinguished Member
    Federal Hydra-shok did not feed well for mine. Actually it does well with the Remington green box (which other guns of mine have not liked).

I now use the Remington FMJ for range practice and Buffalo Bore for carry.

But maybe that's just me, my gun, my wrists, etc.

While I do not have an LCP, I have found UMC ammo to be quite dirty which may be causing the FTF's. Would definitely give it a good cleaning and give a another shot using a different ammo. The dirtiest ball ammo in my book: Wolf, Blazer, Fiocchi, and UMC in that order. The cleanest: Independence(very hard to find).
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

sounds like limp wristing. give it some more break in time. it will get better.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    I've never had a FTE with mine, admittedly I haven't ran a variety of different ammo brands through it. I did have a FTF, it wasn't an ammo problem, it was a "pocket lint" problem. Keeping it free of lint is a must.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Looks like I need to find some different ammo locally.

I sure wouldn't be carrying a weapon that has a 38 in 40 record. You need to look up the " Fluff n buff " mod to the lcp. Many have gotten their guns 100% by doing this. For ammo, the only round I will carry in 380acp is the Gold Dots from Buffalo Bore. Check them out and Good luck.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I had a few problems until I ran about 200 rounds through mine and its been flawless since. Definitely a break in period on these from what I've heard from friends that own them too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links