Question for Springfield EMP 9mm owners

Question for Springfield EMP 9mm owners

This is a discussion on Question for Springfield EMP 9mm owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I went to the range with my EMP 9mm and I was constantly getting FTE's with WWB ammo as the brass casing would get ...

Thumbs up Question for Springfield EMP 9mm owners

Yesterday I went to the range with my EMP 9mm and I was constantly getting FTE's with WWB ammo as the brass casing would get stuck. Out of the 9 rounds in the magazine, I would get about 2 FTE's. This went on through the whole 100 round box of WWB. Afterwards I used a box of WWB on my Taurus PT709 and it ran flawlessly. Owners of EMP 9mm do you have problems with WWB ??? I have had my EMP 9mm for almost a year but can not ever recall ever using WWB. I know I have used Remmington, Federal, and RWS and never had any problems with them. Do you think I need to contact Springfield Armory and send the gun back to them, or should I just avoid using WWB on my EMP 9mm ??? Thanks for any info and or suggestions. God Bless

I had frequent FTF's just after I bought my EMP...whatever the ammo. (WWB included).
    I sent it back to SA. Whatever they did, they did it right, because it's been flawless since (1000+ rounds).
    And I shoot WWB, Federal, American Eagle, etc. etc. The WWB has been fine.
    Give Springfield a call. Can't hurt. If you send it in, it'll come back running like a Swiss watch.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    My SA EMP .45 had a few FTE's in the first 200 or so rounds, but continuous cleaning and reuse has shut that little inconvenience off altogether. It's been flawless for the last 800 or so.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

100% trouble free from day one.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and posting your experiences. I will do a good cleaning and will try another box of WWB and see what happens. If I get any of the same results I will then contact SA and ask to have it sent back to them for them to repair. God Bless

"My SA EMP .45 had a few FTE's in the first 200 or so rounds...."

I am calling "BS" on that one. Unless you meant .40 S&W.

jyo
    Here in Kalifornia (where you can't get the EMP thru normal channels) the story from the few owners on the local gun forums is not that great---OC problems and guns that don't run well---however, after a trip back to SA, they seem to be fixed and their owners happy. I personally have had a couple of pistols that came new from the factory and didn't run right (Kahrs) and after some attention now run 100%. Sometimes, thats just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I had frequent FTF's just after I bought my EMP...whatever the ammo. (WWB included).
    I sent it back to SA. Whatever they did, they did it right, because it's been flawless since (1000+ rounds).
    And I shoot WWB, Federal, American Eagle, etc. etc. The WWB has been fine.
    Give Springfield a call. Can't hurt. If you send it in, it'll come back running like a Swiss watch.
    same here. Sent it on one Friday and received it back the next Friday, and has worked flawlessly with all ammo since.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well I went back to the range today and ran through a 100 round box of WWB with my Taurus PT709 and it ate the WWB without any problems, went through a 50 round box of Federal FMJ ammo and had no problems with my EMP. I had some extra rounds of WWB from another range session and immediately out of 20 rounds I had 3 FTE's with my 9mm EMP. I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of contacting Springfield Armory and returning it to them or should I just know to avoid WWB with my 9mm EMP ??? What do you all think ??? God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Take the time to have them work on it. It's free and it's likely it could have problems with other brands left as is, and why be limited on such a high end gun? And if there was every anything else you ever thought of doing to it, now would be the time, like front strap checkering or single sided safety, etc.

I think it's worth all the trouble to get that gun running flawless. You've come this far just plunking down the money to buy it in the first place. It would kill me to have such an expensive gun that I couldn't use some of the cheapest and most available ammo in for practice!

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of contacting Springfield Armory and returning it to them or should I just know to avoid WWB with my 9mm EMP ??? What do you all think ??? God Bless
    IMHO : You've been told this 3 times out of 9 posts already...... Call Springfield and they will email you a shipping label (prepaid) , send it, and you'll have it back in no time working flawlessly. Why keep messing with it ? I had mine back within 7 days and it was like a whole new gun, has worked flawlessly and 3 x's smoother action.

Springfield Customer Service ... IS NOT A HASSLE at all...... and is nothing like many of the others. Quit messing around with it, get it right.

If you had done that 3 1/2 weeks ago, you would have had a flawless working gun in your hands for at least 2 1/2 of those weeks already.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I own a EMP 9 and never had an issue with WWB or any FMJ round for that matter. I did have issues with JHP's and like others one trip back to SA and all is well. I carry it often and trust it fully now. My favorite pistol.

Links