Kahr CW9 vs P9

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 vs P9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last march I bought a P9 and have carried it every day since. I strongly believe in buying the best you can afford in what ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 vs P9

Last march I bought a P9 and have carried it every day since. I strongly believe in buying the best you can afford in what you want, especially in guns. It helped I got an incredible deal on mine. All black, without night sights. I have never had one single issue of any kind with it. No failures of any kind, from day one.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Oh yah, the front sight on the CW9 is not changeable.
    Really??? I changed mine to a fiber optic sight!

CW9, PM9, MK9, P9, K9. I've heard the first 4 I listed mentioned on this thread but I have not seen the K9 mentioned. I know it's a bit heavier being all stainless, but it only weighs 1 ounce more than the MK9. The only gun out of these that I have shot is the PM9....a little snappy if you have a poor grip, but not as bad as the range guys "warned" me about. I thought that would be my CCW, but then I stepped out of the range and asked to hold the CW9...MAN did that feel good in my hand. The PM9 idea went out the door (I stand at 6'3" and have long but thin fingers, so the larger grip will always feel better to me). So I'm in a bit of the same dilemma as bulldog, but I've got the K9 on my list, too.

Anyone familiar with or own a K9? How is it opposed to the P9 and CW9? Again, I know it's weighty, but it only weighs a couple ounces more than one of the most popular carry weapons, the Glock 19, so that factor I'm not worried about.

GM
    I cannot tell about the CW9, but I can tell about the PM9 and the MK9; they are very good pistols. Kahr makes quality firearms and their customer service is excellent.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My wife has a CW9 and she loves it, she is very picky about guns. I have spent more time on the trigger of it than she has. If you are used to the glock trigger TAKE TIME TO LEARN THE NEW TRIGGER. I was rapid firing hers not long ago and did not release it all the way to the reset point (much different from the Glock) and went into a tap rack because of the mushy trigger and realized that I ejected an intact round with NO primer strike. Good because I didn't have a broken gun, and good because I fell to the level of my training. Good luck, I would like to get a PM9 for pocket carry. Price tag is a bit high for me.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

I've got a P9 and love it. I bought it about nine years ago and it's still the pistol I wear most. Love the thinness and full size grip.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Anyone familiar with or own a K9? How is it opposed to the P9 and CW9?
    All of the Kahrs are suitable for discreet carry. The steel framed K9 Kahr offers a greater selection of grip choice, a choice of color, a choice of trigger pull length. It isn't a lightweight by any means, but the heft allows you to shoot the gun a lot without discomfort. Personally, the grip on the steel Kahrs feels much better to me than the polymer pistols, (hence the grip sleeves), but either work well as dedicated concealed guns. It's just more fun to shoot the K9 or T9.

The MK9 and K9 allow you to add a laser without changing holsters. The polymer Kahrs can have a laser mounted, but you need a dedicated holster for the laser.

As far as accuracy goes, I see no difference between the steel or polymer Kahrs.

My new TP9 is working it's way into my short list of favorite range guns. The longer grip makes it a very stable, soft shooting gun. I like it more than the P9 and as much as my T9. I think that if I put better sights on it, it would instantly become a favorite.

I won't be able to add anymore than what has already been said, but I can tell you that my Kahr CW9 has been flawless from day one! I did own a P9 several years ago that did have a few hiccups during the break-in period and I foolishly traded it. That turned out to be a mistake on my part! However, I corrected that transgression by buying a CW9 this year, and I couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by crzy4guns; December 8th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
    God bless our troops!

It appears that the guide rails are polymer on the Kahrs, except in the back. Anybody experience any wear issues or malfunctions because of this?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogto View Post
    It appears that the guide rails are polymer on the Kahrs, except in the back. Anybody experience any wear issues or malfunctions because of this?
    The polymer Kahrs have a set of steel guide rails in the front dust cover and the set in the rear of the frame. Both will last a long time. The poly rails are there to make assembly easier, and will last a long time too. Folks have reported tens of thousands of rounds through their Kahrs with no rail related problems.

Love the CW9, had a CW45 a few years back but had trouble with the mag falling out after 5 rounds, great service from Kahr, they took it back, I did replace it with a Sig p239, but had to have another so I picked up the CW9 no issues with it, great carry gun

I currently own 5 Kahrs, 3 in 9x19 and 2 in .40 S&W, and have owned at least three others. I love mine, and the ones I've sold have not been sold due to function problems. Here's my take: I've never owned any of the "CW" models, and likely won't. Since they come with no spare mag and a front sight that is not dovetailed, to me, they represent false economy. Their barrels being button rifled, rather than polygonal, mean nothing to me, but polygonal rifled barrels cost more. My Kahrs mostly shoot factory, jacketed-bullet ammo, so I gain nothing from the cut-rifled barrels. I've shot some handloaded cast-bullet ammo in mine, and they handled it fine, with minimal cleanup. If your budget tells you that you can buy a CW model and later buy spare mags, as your finances allow, and you are happy with the factory sights, then they are a great deal. Otherwise, I'd recommend saving up for one of the K- or P- Models.

jyo
    I have two CW9s (one for me, one for wife)---have shot both CW9s and P9s---cannot tell the difference---the Japanese have a saying "Same-same, but not same-same", pretty much applies here.

never owned or shot the P9,but the CW9 has performed flawlessly for me :)

I love my CW9. Carries like a dream.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links