Kahr CW9 vs P9

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 vs P9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am strongly considering getting a Kahr pistol for another carry gun. I have a glock 26 and have no complaints except maybe the thickness. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 vs P9

Kahr CW9 vs P9

I am strongly considering getting a Kahr pistol for another carry gun. I have a glock 26 and have no complaints except maybe the thickness. I have read about the different barrels and the pinned front sight on the Kahr CW9 and a few other cosmetic differences, but is there anything else? I know they need a 200 round break in period. I guess I am just looking for opinions from those of you that own Kahrs. I haven't ruled out the PM9 either

2. Remove Ads

I carry a CW9 everyday. It is long in the grip for pocket carry, but I do carry it in an Uncle Mike's #3. Cargo shorts or pants with large pockets. For me it carries best IWB using a Comp-Tac CTAC holster. I have 700 rounds down range, no problems! I bought a slip on Hogue grip. The polymer Kahr pistols have a very aggressive front and rear grip treatment. I am not a revolver shooter, so I needed more than 50 rounds to understand the trigger. It has the smoothest double action trigger I have ever pulled. I love to shot this pistol and it is first place CCW in front of my other pistols. You can not lose with either model CW9 or P9. I have also shot the PM9 and MK9. Also great pistols, I think I have better control with a full length grip. You should try both sizes.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I carry my CW9 everyday. (although I just did get a new winter carry gun, glock 19!) The Kahr took around 75-100 rounds to get broken in, but it's been a great tool for me.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

The barrel is different on the two, polygonal rifling in the P9 while the CW9 has conventional rifling. The Polygonal is suppose to be more accurate, I have the PM9 and really like for CCW, it is light and smaller, can be pocket carried, you give up one round in the magazine. I would suggest you check the Kahr website for more info.

http://www.kahr.com/

Oh yah, the front sight on the CW9 is not changeable.

I've put 150 rounds of various ammo (fmj and jhp) through my CW9 and so far nary a glitch. Its got a great trigger and I think its really comfortable (YMMV). My fingers are kind of long so it took me a few trips to the range to find the "sweet spot" on my trigger finger. The first range session (75 rounds) wore a massive blister on the side of my trigger finger from the trigger guard hitting it upon recoil but after further dry fire practice, I realized that I had my finger way too far in the trigger guard. Adjusted for that and haven't had a single issue since! Shoot 'em straight.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

Thanks. I have held the CW9 and P9. Both felt really good. I'm going to try to get my hands on a PM9 to see if it feels too small.

I have a CW9 and I carry it every day; for now I'm confined to home due to health reasons and the CW9 is on my hip all the time.

I have a Taurus PT111 (the original, not the Pro) which is a great little gun with 10+1 capacity, but the gun is chunky like a Glock and the trigger takes some practice to master. The thing I like least about that gun is the short grip which results in my pinky curling under the grip. For my hands (glove size - male, large) the CW9 offers a fuller grip with all three fingers past the trigger finger securely placed on the grip.

In addition, the gun's light weight and slim profile make it dandy for house carry; in a lightweight Fobus paddle holster I hardly know the gun is there. If I need to head out into the world I'll usually slip into some heavier artillery, but for quick, "low-threat" trips (if there is such a thing) this package conceals very nicely.

Mine is 3 years old now and is probably around the 1500 round mark; mostly ball for range work but enough +P and +P+ to see how the gun runs with the hotter ammo. No hiccups to date. Oh, and maybe I shouldn't say this - I almost never use the slide release. I slingshot the slide all the way to the rear to feed it, and there's never, ever been a problem.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own a CW40 and PM9. Both have been flawless...as in zero issues of any kind with high round counts in each. As far as the differences see below. From an actual handling and functioning standpoint they are almost the same. The CW series may be an entry level Kahr, but its still a fine handgun and far better than the average offering by most makers. I have at one time or another owned as many as 50 handguns from most of the top makers and IMO Kahr's are one of the best.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I had the CW9 Vs. P9 choice to make and I chose the P9 for the following reasons;

I wanted a all black gun for carry, the CW only comes in stainless.
    The P9 polygonal barrel gives a little more velocity the the rifled barrel of the CW9.
    The dovetailed slots for sights on the P9 not found on the CW9.
    The P9 is a tad bit lighter.
    The extra mag in the P9 helps.
    I prefer Mepro night sights which I can get for the P9, but the CW9 is limited to Trijicon.

I consider the P9 to be a little closer to my ideal CCW than the CW9.

Oh yah, the front sight on the CW9 is not changeable.
    It is changable but the options are pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I own a CW40 and PM9. Both have been flawless...as in zero issues of any kind with high round counts in each. As far as the differences see below. From an actual handling and functioning standpoint they are almost the same. The CW series may be an entry level Kahr, but its still a fine handgun and far better than the average offering by most makers. I have at one time or another owned as many as 50 handguns from most of the top makers and IMO Kahr's are one of the best.

+1 100% agree with this... My CW9 is one of my best $400 pistols period. IMO, The CW series is a high value and excellent quality offering... I say get one and you wont be sorry..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

are holsters the same for the CW9 and P9??

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogto View Post
    are holsters the same for the CW9 and P9??
    Yes

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the P9. If you can afford it, I'd recommend it. You buy a gun like this one time and I think the P9 looks better and I like the barrel. However, if you just can't afford it, get the CW and you won't be disappointed. For defensive puposes the accuracy difference probably isn't that big of a deal. I would recommend you get night sights and if you ever have to get new sights it will make it easier for a gunsmith to change the dove tail version. Also, for grips, the "A Grips" don't look great but boy do they feel GREAT! You can also use an bicycle tire inner tube to tame the checkering a bit as it is quite aggressive.

Enjoy
    Gideon

Any problems out of the Kahrs after the 200 round break in???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links