Kimber Compact CDP II

This is a discussion on Kimber Compact CDP II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have experience with this weapon? Or the CDP line in general? I was looking at a pro carry originally. Upon further looking the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Compact CDP II

Kimber Compact CDP II

Does anyone have experience with this weapon? Or the CDP line in general?

I was looking at a pro carry originally. Upon further looking the CDP has the nightsights and front checkering I like. Thats among some of the other features.

Anyways If you have anything to say on the handgun it would be appreciated. Pros/Cons perhaps?
    Any other 1911's you could recommend around the 800-1200 price range?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't own a Kimber and I would never pay what they cost. There are better handguns out there, both 1911s and non-1911s, for that amount of money.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't own a Kimber and I would never pay what they cost. There are better handguns out there, both 1911s and non-1911s, for that amount of money.
    Any 1911s you could recommend?

The Kimber Compact CDP II is my first 1911, Don't have much experience with it only what I've read and the 300 plus rounds that I've put threw it have been flawless, many more to go before it's my EDC . Below are some of the sites I found when reseaching mine. Goodluck

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/KimberProCDPII.htm
    http://www.shootersshop.com/kimber2.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Ly2Ho1D-4

I've had a Kimber Pro CDP for about 6 years and have fired about 1,500 rounds through it with no problems. I have carried the gun sometimes and trust it for defense. It has been modified with a single side safety to replace the stock ambi, thin grip panels, Wilson magazine and a checkered steel MSH.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I've had the Pro CDP II, but it had an external extractor...never had a problem with it. I traded it for a Compact CDP II with an internal extractor. I also have the Ultra CDP II.
    All of my Kimbers have been fine weapons. I love the Ultra, but to buy only one, I'd get the Compact...same small grip as the Ultra (great for concealment), and the same barrel length as the pro (longer sight radius)...the best of both worlds.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the Kimber custom version of a lightweight Commander, the CDP Pro II. If you leave the OEM mag out of the equation, the gun has been flawless since new (3/07) and by now has passed the 2000 round mark. I never had a burp or a hiccup with the gun save with Kimber's magazine, but Wilson and Tripp mags fixed that problem.

I read the book, saw the biz about 200 rounds for break-in, but I didn't take that too seriously. I regard that more as a factory CYA statement since defects in any manufactured product will tend to show up early (the infant mortality part of the "bathtub curve"). Since the gun never gave me any trouble since new, 200 rounds was gone in a flash and it just is not the big deal that so many whine about.

Drawbacks? Sure. I don't care for the Swartz firing pin safety mechanism, and much prefer Springfield's very basic approach (heavy FP srping). I also don't like the fact that a tool is required to field-strip the pistol (bushingless bull barrel w/ guide ride), but since I don't anticipate being in trench combat with this weapon I can live with that compromise.

On top of all that, short of a full-up custom gun, the CDP is one fine-looking gun, suitable for barbeque duty as well as saving your hide. No regrets here at all.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

just picked up a super carry pro and have about 450 rounds thru it. love the grip on it so much i am bobbing another kimber i own.we have 4 total and have never had any trouble with them. my 5 inch target has the highest round count at about 2000+. i know they are pricey. but what is cheap about shooting. if you really get to enjoy the piece you will spend way more on ammo than you did the gun.

I've got the Compact CDP II and love it. Flawless function...and I bought it used. Great compromise between grip length (concealment) and barrel length.

It really seems like a nice gun. Does anyone know anything that may run a little less with the same or similar features?

My dos centavos: The Kimber Compact line, as someone else noted above, is the best of both worlds, but with limitations. I'd prefer a true Commander 4 1/4" upper like a Colt CCO, which I also have, but the short butt and 4" upper make much more sense than the "Pro" models. If I had huge hands, the Pros might make sense. For me, not at all. I REALLY wish Kimber would do an Aegis Compact, so I could convert one to 9x23, but I doubt they will. The comments about price amuse me. If you get a Kimber that works, you get about $400 worth of gunsmithing on the basic Colt design. Factory dehorning, good sights, properly fit grip safety, etc. Comparison to a Springfield is simply a joke. Sure, you may need to replace the MIM internals, but you need to do that on a Colt or most SAs, except the extra-dollar ones. Remember what you paid for this advice.

I can't speak to the Kimbers first-hand, but I will say that Springfield 1911s are cheaper and they are excellent. I have the GI model, which has been just about flawless. Just one failure with a cheap 7-rd blued mag (old GI-style) in my hands out of 425 rds so far. I'm sure their more upscale models are excellent as well. I think the mil-spec model, which is basically a GI with throated barrel, lowered ejection port, and raised sights for only about $100 more than the GI is an excellent value.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    It really seems like a nice gun. Does anyone know anything that may run a little less with the same or similar features?
    Delve into the Springfield Armory line, especially the "loaded" series... lots of useful features (like good sights) at prices well below the CDP line. In addition to my Kimber, I own two Springers (1911-A1 and a TRP). Both had some feeding issues when new, but are both now the model of reliability.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Delve into the Springfield Armory line, especially the "loaded" series... lots of useful features (like good sights) at prices well below the CDP line. In addition to my Kimber, I own two Springers (1911-A1 and a TRP). Both had some feeding issues when new, but are both now the model of reliability.
    I recommend that you pick up a Springer and a Kimber side by side. I picked up one Springer (a brazilian job) and the fit and action was not in the same ballpark as the higher end springer and Kmber. No offense to the lower end Springers, it's just the truth from the ones I have handled.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have a Pro CDP II that is my EDC and I think it is a great weapon.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links