Pocket 32/380 Reliability and Service Life

This is a discussion on Pocket 32/380 Reliability and Service Life within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am doing some research for my Mousegun bloc of instruction at the Mid-Atlantic Tactical Conference . My question is directed to the members of ...

View Poll Results: How many rounds through your pocket pistol?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • One magazine

0 0%
  • 25 rounds

3 4.69%
  • 100 rounds

9 14.06%
  • 300 rounds

7 10.94%
  • More than 300 rounds

45 70.31%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket 32/380 Reliability and Service Life

I am doing some research for my Mousegun bloc of instruction at the Mid-Atlantic Tactical Conference.

My question is directed to the members of the Forum who actually own small pocket 32s and 380s such as Kel-Tec p32/P3AT, Ruger LCP, NAA Guardian, etc. Please don't respond if you haven't personally owned such a pistol.

How many rounds have you fired through your pistol? If you have had reliability issues, what was the nature of the issue? Feel free to comment about your experiences with different types of ammo.

At my last gun club meeting, a member shared with me that he carried a Ruger LCP loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo but had not fired any of the ammo through the gun because it was costly and difficult to obtain. Another member shared that he had only shot about 50 rounds of varying types through his. Those are not testing protocols (or not) that I would rely on but different strokes for different folks.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I have one of the new S&W Bodyguard 380's and have over 300 problem free rounds through mine using a mixture of FMJ's and JHP. I try to shoot a box of 50 rounds every weekend through it. I also have dried fired it using snap caps over 1000 times and stopped counting. I hope this helps. God Bless

VIP Member
    Somewhere along the line, I decided that I needed to see at least 150 flawless rounds through a gun before I'd carry it (it's just a number that works for me).

LCP did it right out of the box. I have around 800 rds through it at this point (1 year), with two random stove-pipes on the last round. I've yet to find a type of ammo that it wouldn't feed.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    LCP with about a little over a 100 rounds of, Remington, Hornady, Fiocchi and Winchester. So far, and after 18 months, zero problems.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Cool

I purchased a Diamondback .380 as a BUG to my duty weapon in July and have over 200 rounds through it. It has been flawless with Speer Gold Dot and Speer Lawman and seems to prefer the high velosity ammo. It did not like Sellor and Bellot FMJ and I had a few FTF before discontinuing using it. Easy take down ala Glock and appears well made. Free extra finger grip mag for LEO's from the factory after sending in copy of bill of sale and agency ID.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Almost 1000 rounds through my LCP - no issues whatsoever.

My wife's LCP was an earlier one - it was recalled. It did have an issue with PowRBall ammo early on - there is a sharp corner in the frame under the feed ramp, and that corner cut the tip of the PowRBall round while under recoil, resulting in a jam. Ruger recommended 200 FMJ rounds to round off that corner, or the use of a Dremel with a polishing wheel. No other issues with any other ammo. This pistol also has close to 1000 rounds through it. A few months ago, the head of the takedown pin sheared off while firing - the pistol still worked. Ruger rebuilt the pistol to the latest standard for free, including shipping. Only the barrel and frame are original. The gun has several hundred rounds through it since the rebuild - only issue was a failure to feed caused by me not inserting the mag properly all the way in. Flawless otherwise.

I have so much confidence in this little pistol that I just put a down payment on another one, and my new every day off-duty carry will be two LCPs - one in each pocket. I do recommend the pinky finger extension, and the Crimson Trace laser. Painting the front sight with florescent paint also helps a bit.

I will add that both our pistols experience a bit of frame pin walking while firing - no functional issues noted because of this, and it is simply fixed by pushing the pins back into place with a pen.

I use FMJ ammo (16-17 inches penetration), alternating with Hornady Critical defense (11 inches). In the Winter (thick clothing) I will likely run all FMJ.

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

250 rounds through Ruger LCP not issues.

300 rounds in my NAA Guardian 380................it broke internally................I sent it back.

300 rounds thru LCP, 500 thru MDE: no issues with any ammo with either gun.

cmb
    I've had a P32 for a while, carry it front pocket, and have more than 300 rounds through it... because it is under 9mm I only use fmj. When I got it I broke it in with 100 rounds, cleaned another 100... since then I shoot it every other time I go to the range (usually once a month)... at least both my loaded mags... I plan to start working with both my BUG's for off hand access and shooting... anyone who would not thoroughly test a firearm for reliability prior to carrying it seems a little laxidaiscal to me... I know many guns off the shelf run 100% but I want to know that mine does!

Ape
    I have a P-32 with approx 4,000 + rounds through it. I've replaced the springs and extractor just because of use. Always funtioned reliably with all types of ammo. Only problem I've ever had is the dreaded rim lock that .32acp is prone to. And that's been fixed with a rim lock preventer wire in the mags.

I also have a P3AT that now has approx 450 rounds through it reliably. The only issue I've had with it was when the extractor bolt loosened up and caused FTE issue's for a few rounds. That was my fault since I know these need a bit of blue loctite to keep them secure.

My PF-9 has approx 4,500 rounds through it and has been reliable the entire time as well. I've replaced the standard springs and extractor just as I did with the P-32 from use. The only thing I've ever had issue with on my PF-9 is that it doesn't like 147gr rounds. So I don't use them.

I've put weeel over 1500 through my Colt .380 Gov't model, and well over 1000 through my Colt Pocket Nine. The Pocket Nine is my EDC now and the Gov't Model was prior to my etting the Pocket Nine. The Nine has been totaly flawless since day one, using mostly Federal Hydra Shock for carry, and Winchester, or just about any good ammo for practice. The .380 uses Hydra Shocks and my own reloads.
    I think they should be good for 20,000 rounds or so........at least....
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

300 rounds is a minimum for break in with me.... usually more like >500. Then I want an additional couple hundred rounds fired with zero malfunctions with the ammo I will be carrying the weapon with.
    --Bob

DW CCO (2), CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

Ruger LCP: 1,000+ rounds No malfunctions
    Kel Tec P32: 500+ rounds No malfunctions
    Kel Tec P3AT: 500+ rounds No malfunctions
    Kahr P380: 500+ rounds No malfunctions
    Rohrbaugh R9: 700+ rounds No malfunctions

Ammo used: WWB and Speer GDHP
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My Seecamp LWS32 has been in service now for over 24 years. It has proven remarkably reliable. Though I don't shoot a huge number of rounds, anywhere from a few mags a year to about 100 rounds, it has done so with very little care or maintenance. All rounds used have been quality, carry worthy rounds... mostly Silver Tips and Gold Dots. I've often been tempted to look at the newer models, but I can't part with my trustworthy, reliable friend. It's been a very good gun, and I don't see how I could improve upon it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links