steal of the century? Or did i get robbed?

This is a discussion on steal of the century? Or did i get robbed? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guy in my office got the revolver from his mom who passed away. Didnt want it, so I said sure, I'll take it for $50. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steal of the century? Or did i get robbed?

steal of the century? Or did i get robbed?

Guy in my office got the revolver from his mom who passed away. Didnt want it, so I said sure, I'll take it for $50.
    Barrel is dirty, but everything appears to function. Havent shot it yet, just picked up some JHP +P from Walmart, i hope they dont break the gun.
    You guys have any experience with the brand?
    Security Industries of America. I believe they are from NJ, but went out of business 25 years ago.

revolver.jpg

2. Remove Ads

I'd say you got robbed - but being the nice guy I am, I'll help you out. I'll give you $55 for it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Hard to mess up too bad for 50 bills. I would not start off with +P ammo thats for sure, since you do not even know the revolver is rated for +p ammo? And why waste the hi priced ammo when all you want to do initialy is function check the revolver to see if it is safe to shoot.
    Last edited by pirate; September 10th, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I'd say you got robbed - but being the nice guy I am, I'll help you out. I'll give you $55 for it.
    Haha I will give you $60!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I would not start off with +P ammo thats for sure, how do you even know the revolver is rated for +p ammo? And why waste the hi priced ammo when all you want to do is function check the revolver.
    This. You may have gotten a good deal but run some non +p ammo through it and do some research before using the +p.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    I'll up it to $65

BTW -- I've seen a SIA .357 mag. What's that one chambered for? From the Pic it looks to short for a .357
    Last edited by DaveH; September 9th, 2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added BTW
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I don't know anything about the brand, but it's a nice looking snubbie revolver actually. I think you did great. I would stick with standard pressure loads. It probably wouldn't hurt it if you carried +P and had to use it, but I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of them by any means. I've carried +Ps in my old steel model 49, but I only shoot standards at the range. Are you planning on keeping it, carrying it, or turning it over? I'm a sucker for snubbies...if you decide to turn it over, I might be interested in it. I like old and different stuff...this is both.

PS. I'll up the bid to $75 (sorry for the ten dollar jump Dave, that was a breach in etiquette).
    Last edited by BugDude; September 9th, 2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added PS
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Never heard of the brand so hard for me to say whether you got a good deal or not. I would have a smith take a look at it and for sure no +p for a firearm that wasn't designed to handle the higher pressure levels. Good Luck
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I don't know anything about the brand, but it's a nice looking snubbie revolver actually. I think you did great. I would stick with standard pressure loads. It probably wouldn't hurt it if you carried +P and had to use it, but I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of them by any means. I've carried +Ps in my old steel model 49, but I only shoot standards at the range. Are you planning on keeping it, carrying it, or turning it over? I'm a sucker for snubbies...if you decide to turn it over, I might be interested in it. I like old and different stuff...this is both.

PS. I'll up the bid to $75 (sorry for the ten dollar jump Dave, that was a breach in etiquette).
    You're right. I'll try to find some standard loads. I really dont know if I will keep it. I've always wanted a revolver and was seriosuly looking at an SP101. I know they dont compare...but it has satiated my appetite for now.
    I cleaned it up since the pic I took today. Barrel looks spotless. The SA pull is really light, can't be more than 2lbs.

Bugdude, since you are the high bidder I will keep you in mind if i decide to dump it. Let's see how the range goes first.

Look Here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ies+of+america

I shoot +P through my CA 38 snubbie but I wouldn't necessarily do that with the one you bought. Maybe just polish it up (or chrome it) and mount it on a plaque on the wall. Pretty cheap for wall art IMHO.

VIP Member
    damien12g,

As long as the gun is in working order, I'd say you are OK.

However, as far as I know SIA closed shop in the '60s or '70s and and from time to time on forums you see "desperately seeking" WTB post for parts.

Also, be sure to check the space between the cylinder (with rounds in it) and the forcing cone. As I recall, they had some problems with wear at the forcing cone.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    It looks nice in the picture, and heck it was only $50! I agree with the above posters, no +p ammo, and pay a local 'smith to check it over, make sure its OK before attempting any range time.

It looks a lot like a S&W model 60. Can't go wrong for $50.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

attached are some pics, with rounds in the chambers...

thanks for all the help and advice guys

revolver 2.jpgrevolver 3.jpgrevolver 1.jpg

Cool

No +P's please. Hey that rhymed......... seriously save your weapon and yourself. Standard velosity ammo will work just fine in that gun.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links