380 GONE, 38sp/357 next?

This is a discussion on 380 GONE, 38sp/357 next? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got rid of the Ruger LCP, it was a reliable gun, the 380 ballistics left me wanting a more powerful round. I have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 380 GONE, 38sp/357 next?

380 GONE, 38sp/357 next?

I got rid of the Ruger LCP, it was a reliable gun, the 380 ballistics left me wanting a more powerful round.

I have been pocket carrying my Kahr PM9 when possible, I appendix carry it also. I am looking at a S&W 442/642 or Ruger SP-101 to give more options.

Here is how I see the S&W 442/642, I will take my Uncle Mike's size 3 pocket holster with me to the GS, if I truly can pocket carry it with ease that will be the next purchase.

If the 442/642 is not that easy or comfortable to pocket carry for me, that leaves IWB so the Ruger SP-101 will be my choice for the next purchase. I will have options in ammo and power level.

Is my thinking making sense with the criteria I have given, or am I missing some other models or makes that would serve me better?

2. Remove Ads

My opinion, I think your spot on. I've got a 442 and SP101 (2.25" barrel) and I carry the SP101 IWB often with no problem. I also often carry the 442 in my weak side pocket as a bug with two speed strips loaded with 38+P. That way, my extra ammo is compatible with either weapon. I had a buddy who does car interiors make me a pocket liner out of upholstery vinyl for my 442. It is thinner and still covers the trigger and hides printing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks BugDude, you are doing something interesting with the two gun concept and the thin pocket holster. I am always amazed at how when you actually do something and use our imagination we can make most things better.

Keep the comments and post coming

I like my M&P 340...the .357 is a little recoil heavy but the portability of the package makes it worth it IMO. It is not unmanageagble. I pocket carry it, and also carry in IWB in a Galco Summer Special.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Seems like this is the second thread pretty recently where someone is going from a p3at or LCP to a 442/642. I have a cimson trace p3at, that was my EDC for a quite a bit, I still LOVE that gun. I also upgraded to strong side pocket carry with a S&W 442, and spreed strips weak-side. Pending on the pants I wear, sometimes I'll also carry a speed loader, I found some cargo shorts, with a PERFECT pocket for my HKS speed loader, and its really easy access (weak side). Anyway,I find my 442 very comfortable in all my pants, including cintas work pants(not *quite* as easy as the Keltec, in this case.). I do things a little different the Bugdude though, since I don't currently have more than one wheel gun, if I carry a BUG (pretty much never do. ) its going to be my p3at; In which case I'd be in some serious doo-doo anyway, if 15 /20rounds of .38+P weren't enough I mean.

Ive got to get me some bigger pockets. I cant pocket carry the S&W J-frames, just some what to bulky. I like the idea of the M&P 340.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Wormy, just curious what is your build, I am 5'10" and 190lbs, I wear a 36" waist for jeans and get the loose fit and dockers pleated, the dockers are bigger pockets.

I went the other way - dual pocket carry of two LCPs. Snubbies are way bigger, and would print too much in my business suits. My LCP prints, but the holster makes it look like a wallet or a PDA.

I quit worrying about caliber. If you put the rounds where they matter, and the bullet has enough penetration, the caliber will not matter. If you don't, a larger caliber/heavier bullet/expanding bullet will likely not make up for the poor placement. I'll take the 7 rounds of .380 over 5 of .38 any day. The FBI calls for 12-15 inches of penetration. .380 JHPs get 11-13, FMJ gets 16-17. Works for me.

Good luck in your quest - but I think you should have kept both your LCP and LCR. Either would have complemented your PM9 well.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Ive got to get me some bigger pockets. I cant pocket carry the S&W J-frames, just some what to bulky. I like the idea of the M&P 340.
    I hear you there....I wear True Religion jeans so the pockets are small. I can only pocket carry my J-Frame when I'm wearing shorts or slacks.

+1 on the M&P 340..... But hang onto it.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

A BUG for your BUG, makes sense to me, another idea to explore.

One thing that bothered me I put 250 rounds through the LCP and the recoil rod looked all beat up, the blueing is almost all gone, it is like the spring material is harder than the rod.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Wormy, just curious what is your build, I am 5'10" and 190lbs, I wear a 36" waist for jeans and get the loose fit and dockers pleated, the dockers are bigger pockets.
    Yea, Im kinda small. 5'7" and 157 lbs. Hence the name "Wormy". I wear alot of tight Wrangler jeans. Aint gettin no gun in them pockets. Now Ive got some larger pocket cargo pants that will work. But still feels like a rock in my pocket.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    I would give the S&W Model 438 Bodyguard a serious look. The laser is an added benefit.

Don't forget ammo either. The Kahr PM9 you list with Speer Gold Dot 115 grain JHP is going to have very good expansion and penetration.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Anyone have one of these S&W 38 Bodyguard?

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Anyone have one of these S&W 38 Bodyguard?

Don't have one but did hold one at my dealer they feel really sweet.

I have never found a single handgun to fit all circumstances and attire. That is why I put several handguns into my daily carry rotation.

I usually carry a full size handgun and a smaller CCW handgun.

My Full size stable:
    M&P40 FS
    SA Loaded 1911

My CCW stable:
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger LCR
    Ruger SP101
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links