FNP-9 Review & Range Report

This is a discussion on FNP-9 Review & Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a long time, I've been yearning for a Sig 228, but somehow just couldn't justify spending over $700 for one. Then I came across ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNP-9 Review & Range Report

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

FNP-9 Review & Range Report

For a long time, I've been yearning for a Sig 228, but somehow just couldn't justify spending over $700 for one. Then I came across a video review by Nutnfancy called " FNP-9 Sig for less" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC38_JFrkjs He had many good things to say about the FNP.

I had handled the Sig 228, and liked it a lot, but never gave a thought to the FNP. So, I decided to check it out. Now, I don't want to upset any Sig owners, but, a trip to my local gun shop convinced me that they really were very similar, in both action and ergonomics. In fact, to me, the ergonomics of the FNP are the best of any gun I own. I really liked the gun, but my local guy was asking $650 for it, and I knew I could do much better.

FN stands for Fabrique National, an old and established company that has made guns under the "Browning" label; in fact, up until a few years ago they made the identical gun to the FNP-9 under the Browning name. The FNP is now made right here in the US along with many firearms used by the US Military, particularly machine guns.

So, I finally decided to buy one, and I got mine on "Gunbroker" at a Dutch auction. There were 80 units for sale, and eight of us bid and received our guns for $399 brand new. The name of the store is Tanners, in Jamison PA.

The FNP-9 is a hammer fired SA/DA gun. It comes standard with 3 magazines, each having a 16 round capacity, and It weighs only 25 oz. Barrel length is 4". The gun has an ambidextrous safety which will also act as a de-cocker making the gun ready to fire double action, or, my particular model (FNP-9 USG) can be carried "cocked and locked" with the hammer up for single action, and the trigger is disconnected.

At the Range:
    My first trip to the range I really wanted to wring out the gun to test its reliability. I fired a total of 235 rounds using a variety of ammo including WW Ranger +p, Speer Gold Dot +p, Federal factory, and a variety of hand loads. The gun fed and fired flawlessly all 235 rounds. Recoil was almost non-existent.

My second trip I fired 75 rounds of my reloads, and accuracy was outstanding, as well as the gun functioning flawlessly.

If I had to say anything negative, it would be that the double action pull although steady and smooth, is quite heavy, but, I've been told that gets easier with use. Single action is light and crisp.

All in all, it is rare to find a gun of this quality for under $400. The only other gun I can think of is my Sig 2022 which cost me the same amount. Any one looking for a 9mm firearm, I highly recommend you look at the FNP. Right now they are a bargain because they are being replaced by the FNX.

I carry my FNP-9 in this holster. It is one of the first holsters I ever made and I know it looks kind of rudimentary, but it works so well and is so comfortable, I see no need to replace it.

Last edited by Freedomofchoice; September 12th, 2010 at 11:34 AM.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

2. Remove Ads

Awesome report. I want to get it in .40cal but a deal on a 9mm won't be overlooked.

GM
    Glad that you like it. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I love mine! Don't run your holster down; I would be tickled pink if I were able to make one that nice.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Congrats, great find.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I love mine! Don't run your holster down; I would be tickled pink if I were able to make one that nice.
    Thank you, that's very complimentary.

pb

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    Awesome report. I want to get it in .40cal but a deal on a 9mm won't be overlooked.
    The name of the store is Tanner's in PA. and they actually have an auction going now on Gunbroker with these FN-9 at $399.

pb

Great report! I do love my FNP-40 also..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I've had my FNP-9 for a little over a 1 1/2 years and it's an excellent pistol. It's surprising light for its size and has fed, fired and ejected every round I've ever loaded into the magazine, but then again, that's only 555 rounds. It's the pistol liked most by people that have shot it.

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    I've had my FNP-9 for a little over a 1 1/2 years and it's an excellent pistol. It's surprising light for its size and has fed, fired and ejected every round I've ever loaded into the magazine, but then again, that's only 555 rounds. It's the pistol liked most by people that have shot it.
    The weight of the gun and the ergonomics is what really sold me on the gun. For its size, it is remarkably light, yet, recoil is very extremely easy to manage. I am just very surprised that these guns are not more popular.

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    The weight of the gun and the ergonomics is what really sold me on the gun. For its size, it is remarkably light, yet, recoil is very extremely easy to manage. I am just very surprised that these guns are not more popular.
    Right. Very good pistol for the money. I've put thousands of rounds through my FNP-9 and never had a problem. Used it to pass the U.S. Air Marshall qualifier during a handgun tactics and speed-shooting course; DA trigger pull is long but manageable. I still have the pistol, but have recently decided that DAO is the way to go ... for me at least.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

A month ago,I bought 2 guns both fnx 9mm and fnp in .45 acp. And,,,,,,,, They both shoot so niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic e. richgp100z

So far I am loving mine as well. Got on a deal where I purchased the FNP-9mm and it came with 5 magazined, (3) 10 rounds and (2) 16 rounds for 389 + 9 ship and FFL. I is my first pistol and I think I made a wise choice. It just suits my larger hands and everything just runs like water.

Wow! I can't believe this post got resurrected after over a year. I might as well add....I still have the FNP-9 and I have never had a problem. About a thousand flawless rounds now.

pb

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have it in .40, great weapon.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links