Kahr PM9 range report/review

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 range report/review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sold off my LCP about a month ago wanting a little more power in my pocket. Knowing exactly what I wanted, I purchased a ...

Thread: Kahr PM9 range report/review

Thumbs up Kahr PM9 range report/review

I sold off my LCP about a month ago wanting a little more power in my pocket. Knowing exactly what I wanted, I purchased a diamond black PM9 with standard sites for a good price online. I had done my homework, researched the heck out of the gun before and after, read the good and the bad. I didn't feel as though I was taking a chance, but I still had a little nervousness in the far back of my mind.

After receiving it I'd given it a good thorough cleaning in accordance to detailed instructions found throughout the web. Removed the factory grease, bits of polymer burring, cleaned and lubed it up good. I had a friend tell me these guns like to run wet so I put a little more than a light coat of oil in the gun and I greased the rails with some Tetra gun grease. I then manually racked the gun a good 250 times. And that alone hurt. I formed a nice little sore on the top of my thumb. But the slide felt smooth as butter, much nicer than oil alone.

I finally had a chance to take it to the range this weekend and break it in, as recommended by the manufacturer. Let me advise any potential purchasers up front, if you do the break-in, take a friend. This is not a gun you want to put 200+ rounds through alone. I fed the PM9 four different brands of ammo. 50 rounds of Winchester white box, 50 rounds of Remington FMJ, 100 rounds of Federal FMJ and 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. The good news is I had zero malfunctions. The bad news is my hand had a checkered imprint for about 30 minutes after leaving the range. The gun itself is more accurate than I am for such a small barrel. I have the utmost confidence in this gun for everyday carry.

Once I have it added to my permit, it'll be used mainly as my EDC pocket gun in a Nemesis holster. The PM9 will not be a weekend fun shooter for most, but I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a small and light primary gun or BUG. I also recommend not being discouraged by some of the bad talk going around the web about this particular gun. The ones with issues will always be the first and most vocal to point it out as opposed to the happy and perfectly content owners. I hope this was helpful, thanks for reading!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The PM9 is likely the best sub-compact 9mm on the market today. Its a superb small CCW handgun. Mine has been flawless with many hundreds of rounds through the tube.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

GM
    Congrats on the PM9. It is a very nice firearm.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have shot the PM9 and really enjoyed it. I feel like it's a good choice for a pocket 9mm, probably one of the better ones, but I decided that I don't want to pay that much for a gun that has had mixed reviews. It seems they are either perfect or horrible and reviews seem to be almost 50/50.

I also don't like the fact that a gun that expensive has a break-in period. This is unacceptable IMO.

I'm glad yours ran %100 though, and I like the diamond black finish!! Post a picture of yours!

Congrats and nice review. I agree, the PM9 is a very nice option in 9mm. I'll add one to the inventory someday down the road.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    It seems they are either perfect or horrible and reviews seem to be almost 50/50.
    - This goes for any firearm, but you have to remember that a majority of people out there simply don't post reviews. The ones that usually do post reviews are either enthusiastic about their gun or have problems with it and are looking for solutions. If any company had a 50% failure rate, they would be out of business in a very short time.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - This goes for any firearm, but you have to remember that a majority of people out there simply don't post reviews. The ones that usually do post reviews are either enthusiastic about their gun or have problems with it and are looking for solutions. If any company had a 50% failure rate, they would be out of business in a very short time.
    very good point

Zackintosh, glad to hear your pleased with your new PM9, I like my PM9 so well for pocket and appendix carry that I sold my LCP.

I have a Desanti Nemesis pocket holster for the PM9 it works well, if you have one of these try it in the appendix carry position, it stay in place really well.

Would you rate down a Les Baer because they have a break in period? The tighter the gun the more need for moving parts to rub together and "lap-in". You won't find break in required on loose fitting handguns and I won't get into which those may be. I agree it would be great if Kahr did all that at the factory, but they would have to recover the cost by increased pricing. If it's something you would prefer not to do, just send it to Cylinder & Slide and they will do all that for you at $380.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have a Kahr K9 03 Elite that's a fine shooter right out of the box. Kahr definitely makes great hardware.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Zackintosh,

I find that my PM9 is easier to shoot with a Hogue Handall on it. The rough stipling on the PM9 tends to bite into your hand and makes extended range sessions a bit tough.

Great choice. You made a very wise move in the right direction. Congrats. (get the soft rubber Hogue grip)
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I just added a CT laser to my PM9, making a great carry weapon even better

I'm definitely going to look into that Handall grip sleeve. The concern I have is drawing it from my pocket with that rubber against the cloth. Any issues with that?

Links