Loaded Champion is back from SA: Range Report

This is a discussion on Loaded Champion is back from SA: Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As most will remember I purchased a Loaded Champion. First trip to the range it ate anything FMJ I fed her, but would not cycle ...

VIP Member

As most will remember I purchased a Loaded Champion. First trip to the range it ate anything FMJ I fed her, but would not cycle any brand JHP I tried, it wouldn't even feed the first round by hand cycling.

On Aug. 23 I shipped it back to Springfield Armory for repairs. It came back Friday Sept. 10. Unfortunately it had to sit overnight at FedEx since I didn't get off work in time to pick it up. That's a total of 12 business days from them receiving it and shipping it back out again. Great turnaround time.

According to the repair ticket they polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel (I'm assuming they meant reamed the chamber throat) and refit the extractor.

Took it back to the range today. Put another 100 rounds of FMJ through it, again not a hiccup out of it.

Now for the true test. Using the 2 factory 7 round magazine I have and the 1 Chip McCormick 8 round magazine I loaded her up plus 1 in the chamber. First ammo was Winchester white box 230 gr JHP. Chambered and fired all 23 rounds without a hiccup. Next I loaded up with Federal 230 gr +P HST rounds. Again all 23 without a hiccup. Next in live was Federal 230 gr Hydra Shok, 20 rounds, again no problems. On to the last of the .45 JHP I had, Winchester 230 gr Bonded Personal Protection ammo, 20 rounds. She handled them flawlessly. Went back to the HST and WWB, finishing off those boxes and a few miscellaneous .45 JHP rounds I had. Not a single problem. In all I put about 150 rounds of JHP thru her today without a single glitch. It looks like SA did their job, and I now have a reliable 1911 for carry.

Just finished cleaning her and loaded up all 3 magazines with Federal HST ammo.

Anyone want to guess what will be on my hip tonight when the wife and I go out to eat?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Very nice, glad to hear they took care of it. Springfield is a great company.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    A little slicking up of the feed ramp usually solves most HP feeding problems. Opening up the chamber helps too. Glad to hear she's cranking them off.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

a reliable 1911 is a wonderful thing.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glad it's working out for you. Hopefully the ammo problems are history.

But this is what kills me about handgun makers. Unless it was sold and advertised "for FMJ ammo only," why don't they polish the ramp and open the chamber so it will feed JHPs and avoid all this negative crap? Who would make and sell a model knowing it won't reliably feed certain "commonly used" ammunition and then gleefully, under warranty, perform the very actions that it should have had to begin with?

I'd much rather have the "will shoot anything" reputation over the "will shoot anything if..." for a product I sold. I don't get it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Glad that it's functioning flawlessly for you now. That is exactly as it should be.

Their is no inherent reason why any 1911 pattern pistol should not feed and function with every variety of .45 acp that it's fed. You should not be able to prevent those cartridges from exiting the magazine and popping up into the barrel chamber.
    That is a properly tuned .45.
    It should feed when the slide is eased forward and it should feed upside-down and sideways.

Nothing is nicer shooting than a properly tuned 1911 with a crisp, sweet, trigger.

Just my personal opinion on that.

Distinguished Member
    It's good to hear about good CS.

CZ did the same for me with my Pointman 9.

Congrats, glad all worked out well.

GM
    I am glad they fixed it. Congrats and enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Mine did the same thing out of the box. I was told to run 400 rounds FMJ through it before I tried JHP. This seems to have worked for me. I haven't had any problems since. I was told this was true for just about any 1911. Course I am new to the 1911, this one being my first.

Now dont get me wrong. i have 5 1911's, 4 are springfields, i think SA is one of if not THE best production guns out there. but i keep hearing about a lot of out of the box prob. with them. SAallways fix them in a fast manner but, it seems like they are running pistols off the line as fast as they can with out much tlc. its kind of like, they are selling a great warrenty and a gun that may or may not be 100%. anyway i just got a NIB champion loaded ss. i love this gun, feeds anything BUT, its got a very heavy trigger pull. calling springfield.

Glad they fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As most will remember I purchased a Loaded Champion. First trip to the range it ate anything FMJ I fed her, but would not cycle any brand JHP I tried, it wouldn't even feed the first round by hand cycling.

On Aug. 23 I shipped it back to Springfield Armory for repairs. It came back Friday Sept. 10. Unfortunately it had to sit overnight at FedEx since I didn't get off work in time to pick it up. That's a total of 12 business days from them receiving it and shipping it back out again. Great turnaround time.

According to the repair ticket they polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel (I'm assuming they meant reamed the chamber throat) and refit the extractor.

Took it back to the range today. Put another 100 rounds of FMJ through it, again not a hiccup out of it.

Now for the true test. Using the 2 factory 7 round magazine I have and the 1 Chip McCormick 8 round magazine I loaded her up plus 1 in the chamber. First ammo was Winchester white box 230 gr JHP. Chambered and fired all 23 rounds without a hiccup. Next I loaded up with Federal 230 gr +P HST rounds. Again all 23 without a hiccup. Next in live was Federal 230 gr Hydra Shok, 20 rounds, again no problems. On to the last of the .45 JHP I had, Winchester 230 gr Bonded Personal Protection ammo, 20 rounds. She handled them flawlessly. Went back to the HST and WWB, finishing off those boxes and a few miscellaneous .45 JHP rounds I had. Not a single problem. In all I put about 150 rounds of JHP thru her today without a single glitch. It looks like SA did their job, and I now have a reliable 1911 for carry.

Just finished cleaning her and loaded up all 3 magazines with Federal HST ammo.

Anyone want to guess what will be on my hip tonight when the wife and I go out to eat?
    I bought my Champion 17 years ago and I had the exact same problem as described except mine wouldn't feed FMJ very well either. I sent it back to Springfield and nine days later I got it back. That pistol has fired everything I have put in it ever since. It is tough to beat a Springfield and even tougher to beat Springfield's customer service.

Links