Problems with a Taurus Pt 111 Pro

Problems with a Taurus Pt 111 Pro

This is a discussion on Problems with a Taurus Pt 111 Pro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to have a Taurus that was flawless. Sold that to a friend that wanted it when I needed some cash but I loved ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Problems with a Taurus Pt 111 Pro

Post Problems with a Taurus Pt 111 Pro

I used to have a Taurus that was flawless. Sold that to a friend that wanted it when I needed some cash but I loved that gun and just bought a gen 3. Heres the issue.

I took it to the range after a full breakdown and cleaning and put 100 rounds through it. Not a single fail to fire.

But every other round was either fail to feed or eject. Should I send this back immediately and have them work on it or try and break it in a bit?

It is extremely tightly manafactured. Mags are just starting to take all the rounds with work and everything is very tight still on the pistol. Any thoughts?

And I dont need this to be.a Taurus slamming thread, Ive owned several that were flawless this is my first bad apple and they fit me best of anything I have tried to shoot.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, the general concensus you'll get here is that the problem is--it's a Taurus. Maybe they were better awhile back, I don't know. But something is obvoiusly wrong. I'd already be in contact with CS. If you like the brand, your options are limited.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    I think I would send it back, my PT-111 Pro has been flawless.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Im sending it back. The next day air and pay for everything so meh I wont have the gun for a couple weeks.

Holsters still being made anyways and my edc is something else.

Im super pissed about this since ive had several good experiences with taurus. The RO today thought I should put another couple hundred rounds through it but Taurus CS said send it straight back.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I'm considered a Taurus "hater," but it's nothing at all against those who own them.

Before you send it back and suffer the wait, you might want to try this....find a place that sells Taurus factory magazines and compare them to the ones that came with your gun. My PT145 was a total jam-o-matic when I got it. I bought new factory mags at Gander Mountain and the followers were 100% different. The gun ran somewhat well with these.

I haven't heard this specifically about the PT111, but it might be worth a shot.

Good luck.

EDIT: Is it nosediving? That's what mine was doing.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

It looks like the slide wasnt running back fast enough to eject the round and that it was nosediving

GM
    I hope you get it back soon.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My father in law has a PT111 and it has been perfect right out of the box. I'd send it back. Just out of curiosity, what brand and type of ammo were you using?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I used Federal FMJ 115 grain and remington Green box hollowpoints 115 grain.

Those were perfect in my other pt111 they sucked in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well, the general concensus you'll get here is that the problem is--it's a Taurus. Maybe they were better awhile back, I don't know. But something is obvoiusly wrong. I'd already be in contact with CS. If you like the brand, your options are limited.
    I will have to agree with this. I personally own 2 Taurus Semi Autos. One is a PT-99 that is almost 20 years old. The other is a PT-111 (the original version of this gun) that is roughly 10 years old. Both have never given me a single problem. However, having said that, I wouldn't accept a current production Taurus if someone wanted to give me one. I have heard almost nothing but bad things about them and I don't need the headache. Plus, every gun I own I trust. And I trust them because I have shot them extensively. I just have not held a Taurus product that is less than 6 or 7 years old that even feels like it can stand up to extended shooting. They feel "cheap" to me.

Sorry you got bit by this company but, take solace in the fact that you are not alone. And then take the gun and trade it in on something that won't jam when you need it to save your life.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Try leaving your magazines fully loaded for a week or so.
    "Mags are just starting to take all the rounds with work and everything is very tight still on the pistol. Any thoughts?"

yeah im leaving the mags fully loaded. I figure I do have one shot that I know will fire in the chamber and then there's always the backup gun.

Going shooting Saturday, I will let people know if looser mags and a very good cleaning fixes this or if it needs to be sent back. Just good feedback for potential taurus owners.

range report #2

Went back to the range and put another 150'rounds through the pistol.
    Reliability went way up. Instead of 50% fail to feeds and ejects in
    150 shots I had
    0 fail to fire
    2 fail to feeds
    0 fail to ejects

The issue seems to lay with the Federal Ammunition from WalMart. It ate 50 Winchester White box beautifully with 48/50 shots in the 10 ring at 50 yards.
    Almost the same results with the remington.

The Federal Ammo was all over the place, and was ejecting the shells barely out of the pistol. I think my next mission is to try some 124 grain 9mm out of this pistol. I think it likes the better ammo.

Maybe because its more tightly manafactured? Seems weird to me but it was a much better experience. I will repost this to the Taurus armed forums and see what they think.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    With only 100 rds through it, it's far from broken in. I'd follow the manufacturer's break in instructions before sending it back. You also might do as the other poster suggested and leave the mags loaded. New guns are sometimes quirky. Also try a different brand of ammo. What works fine in one gun might not cut it in another.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links