Polishing my SP101

This is a discussion on Polishing my SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive been carrying my 3" SP101 in a Fobus paddle holster and it has done a number on the finish of my gun. The holster ...

Thread: Polishing my SP101

Polishing my SP101

Ive been carrying my 3" SP101 in a Fobus paddle holster and it has done a number on the finish of my gun. The holster has marred the finish pretty bad around the trigger guard and around the cylinder. Im wondering if I can polish this out somehow. I saw "Zero" post his pics of his polished SP101 and "WOW". Anyone know whats involved in polishing like his? Or simply removeing the scuff marks?
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I use one of these.......

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23632-1.html

DO NOT USE ON A BLUED GUN UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO BE AN UNBLUED GUN!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The SP-101 is a very easy gun to shine to a mirror finish... If you want to take it that far. My SP-101 has been polished and modified in several ways.

The polishing procedure is fairly simple. Use progressively finer sandpaper (400 grit, 600 grit and 1500 grit or finer. Once you have the entire pistol uniform in appearance, you then use Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish to create the final shine.

My SP-101
    • Full gun debur and shine job
    • Removal of the lawyer scrawl on the barrel
    • MePro Night Sight
    • 3.5lb trigger Job
    • Hogue Grips

Have fun!
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    The SP-101 is a very easy gun to shine to a mirror finish... If you want to take it that far. My SP-101 has been polished and modified in several ways.

The polishing procedure is fairly simple. Use progressively finer sandpaper (400 grit, 600 grit and 1500 grit or finer. Once you have the entire pistol uniform in appearance, you then use Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish to create the final shine.

My SP-101
    • Full gun debur and shine job
    • Removal of the lawyer scrawl on the barrel
    • MePro Night Sight
    • 3.5lb trigger Job
    • Hogue Grips

Have fun!
    That is sweeet. Thats the way I want mine. But I carry my SP alot in the woods and on the farm. Is that finish hard to maintain or should it just be for safe queens and carrying occassionally?
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually a polished finish on stainless is easy to maintain. Simply re do the polishing job on scratched areas. For the initial polish follow gglass' instructions. I usually finish with 2000 grit paper and for the final step use a cloth and some Flitz, Simichrome or anything similar. You can also use the cloth polishing wheel on a Dremel tool, but easy does it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

My SP101 has undergone two "melting's" (so far).

The first was files, fine grit metal sandpaper for the hard edges, and dremel with polish compound and mothers mag hand polish for surface shine.

The second melting was done when installing a Mepro night sight. I figured might as well do the nose more since I had the sight off. I did more of the edges overall and used a sisal wheel with fine polish on the bench grinder to bring the shine up. The wheel makes short work of it and does a great job. I still hand polished with mother's mag polish.

It is easy, just takes some time. Keep in mind you can't put back what you took off.

I carry the SP101 a lot around and outside the home, it's even going on city trips now. Aside from finger prints and oil leaking out of trigger and other areas the surface is fine.

As automatic slim mentioned, it is easy to maintain a polished gun and keep it looking good by polishing out the scratches when needed. I clean the little revolver because I went shooting, not because it is too dirty from wear and tear of carry.

VIP Member
    See the 649 in top of my avatar? That was given a mirror finish with nothing but Mothers Mag Wheel polish, a rag, and about 2 hours time. i have used Flitz, and also Semichrome but Mothers gives the best results

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you don't like it afterwards, you can always send it out to have a bead blast finish. It'll put it right back to a matte finish. That's the beauty of stainless, you have options, however, unless you're looking for strictly pretty, I have a recommendation. Consider just leaving it as is. No matter what kind of finish you have, if you carry it and shoot it, it's going to get wear. You might want to learn to appreciate a gun with character. I'm tempted to get a second SP101. Look at Gemini Customs. I'd like to get a short barreled version and "pretty it up" and keep my 3" version for the woods.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    No matter what kind of finish you have, if you carry it and shoot it, it's going to get wear. You might want to learn to appreciate a gun with character.

Gideon
    YUP. A gun with character is a gun that is carried and used...ie a practical gun.

Also: The easiest and nicest finish for me so far is my GP100. I did a mild melt and internal smoothing. Instead of polishing I went with brushed satin via scotch bright pad. Super easy to clean after shooting and always looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    If you don't like it afterwards, you can always send it out to have a bead blast finish. It'll put it right back to a matte finish. That's the beauty of stainless, you have options, however, unless you're looking for strictly pretty, I have a recommendation. Consider just leaving it as is. No matter what kind of finish you have, if you carry it and shoot it, it's going to get wear. You might want to learn to appreciate a gun with character. I'm tempted to get a second SP101. Look at Gemini Customs. I'd like to get a short barreled version and "pretty it up" and keep my 3" version for the woods.

Gideon
    Yea I know what ya mean. I like to use stuff and I like the looks of my well worn Glock 23. I also appreciate a fine piece of a shiney firearm like these yall have posted. Yep, a good excuse to get me another SP101 also.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Links