Opinions on the 9mm PX4 Storm

This is a discussion on Opinions on the 9mm PX4 Storm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here have experience with the full sized PX4 Storm? My son is considering one and would like to here from others that have, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Opinions on the 9mm PX4 Storm

  1. #1
    Member Array Ceapea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    370

    Opinions on the 9mm PX4 Storm

    Does anyone here have experience with the full sized PX4 Storm? My son is considering one and would like to here from others that have, or have had them. He has smallish hands and none of my guns seem to fit him just right. With the adjustable back strap, he thought that he'd like it. Also in consideration is the new FNX 9, it comes with 4 back straps! He likes the looks of the Storm better though. He isn't really considering the XD or M&P.

    Thanks.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    ntg
    ntg is offline
    Member Array ntg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    446
    What is he considering it for, I'd ask? CC or a range gun? I've shot one. They shoot fairly well, I feel they're a little more chunky in the grip than many others that I've shot. I've never handled the FNX, but I've shot an FNP9, and it was a nice gun overall. Both the FNP and PX4 were a little thicker and bigger than I wanted to conceal. The SR9 has a fairly thin grip for a double stack, the new triggers are better, and the back strap does adjust some. If he wants real thin grip the PPS, PF9, and the Kahrs are thin. IMO the PPS has a fairly comfortable grip, shooting manners for being so thin. The Kahrs feels awkward to me in the grip, although I've never fired a Kahr. More information on his needs/desires would help us help you more. Certainly shooting as many as he can will help.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Posts
    1,028
    When I was looking for a hammer fired 9mm the salesman showed me a Beretta Storm. Honestly, the thing was like a 2 X 4! It was so thick and chunky, and this wasn't even the full sized one, it was the compact!

    With the choices you mentioned, I would go with the FNX. Someone on another forum mentioned that FNH is giving a $100 rebate on the FNX right now, making the gun go for around $400. If not, you can still get the FNH-9 for $399 on Gunbroker.com from Tanner's Sporting Godds in PA. I have one and love it. You can read my review on this forum: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...p-Range-Report
    .

    Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

    pb

  5. #4
    Member Array Ceapea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    370
    I should have mentioned, he is looking for a range gun. He does not have a CPL. He has held both the FNX 9 and Storm 9 and likes the way they feel. He has not had a chance to fire either one yet and just wanted feed back...good or bad.
    Thanks
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

  6. #5
    Member Array Ceapea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    When I was looking for a hammer fired 9mm the salesman showed me a Beretta Storm. Honestly, the thing was like a 2 X 4! It was so thick and chunky, and this wasn't even the full sized one, it was the compact!

    With the choices you mentioned, I would go with the FNX. Someone on another forum mentioned that FNH is giving a $100 rebate on the FNX right now, making the gun go for around $400. If not, you can still get the FNH-9 for $399 on Gunbroker.com from Tanner's Sporting Godds in PA. I have one and love it. You can read my review on this forum: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...p-Range-Report
    I'm surprised to hear that it feels 2x4'ish. He has much smaller hands than me and it fit him well, so he says, he wouldn't/couldn't wait for me to go to the store with him.
    I think that I'd like the FNX better myself, but he is leaning towards the Storm. I did read that post that you pasted the other day.
    Thanks.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    1,843
    Its made by Beretta and that means quality.. I don't have a Storm but have shot one and it worked very well. My two Berettas, 92FS and 84FS have been with me for years and have never had any problems.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    I should have mentioned, he is looking for a range gun. He does not have a CPL. He has held both the FNX 9 and Storm 9 and likes the way they feel. He has not had a chance to fire either one yet and just wanted feed back...good or bad.
    Thanks
    If that's the case, maybe the storm is what he should get. When I was looking at 9mms I was thinking "carry" . Whatever the case I would try not to influence him too much, and let it be his decision. I have never read about reliability problems with the Beretta and I'm certain he will enjoy it if he goes that route.
    .

    Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

    pb

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array LongRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,618
    I have not handled nor shot a PX4 Storm. If I am correct the Storms have the same rotating barrel design as the Cougar. If that is correct they are inherently far more accurate than the tilt barrel design we are accustomed to shooting. My wifes 9mm Cougar is more accurate than I am and softer shooting than her .380. I have considered a Storm for EDC but the manul safeties stopped me. For the range it would be a fun gun.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

  10. #9
    Member Array Ceapea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I have not handled nor shot a PX4 Storm. If I am correct the Storms have the same rotating barrel design as the Cougar. If that is correct they are inherently far more accurate than the tilt barrel design we are accustomed to shooting. My wifes 9mm Cougar is more accurate than I am and softer shooting than her .380. I have considered a Storm for EDC but the manul safeties stopped me. For the range it would be a fun gun.
    I haven't looked at it too closely myself, but I thought that the PX4 was a DA/SA with a safety and decocker.
    However, I just looked it up. You can get the Storm in several configurations.
    1 Type F: Single and double-action. Decocker. Manual safety.
    2 Type C: Single-action-only ("Constant Action"). Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
    3 Type D: Double-action-only. Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
    4 Type G: Single and double-action. Decocker. No manual safety.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    Does anyone here have experience with the full sized PX4 Storm? My son is considering one and would like to here from others that have, or have had them. He has smallish hands and none of my guns seem to fit him just right. With the adjustable back strap, he thought that he'd like it. Also in consideration is the new FNX 9, it comes with 4 back straps! He likes the looks of the Storm better though. He isn't really considering the XD or M&P.

    Thanks.
    Why? The M&P is thin with the small palm-swell on it... the XD is a little bit more chucky but both are less than a Glock.. Plus shoot as many different types of handguns as you can so you know what you (your son) likes and dislikes.. then you will know exactly what to look for in the purchase
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  12. #11
    Member Array Ceapea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    If that's the case, maybe the storm is what he should get. When I was looking at 9mms I was thinking "carry" . Whatever the case I would try not to influence him too much, and let it be his decision. I have never read about reliability problems with the Beretta and I'm certain he will enjoy it if he goes that route.
    He's pretty set on the Storm, I just talked to him a little while ago. You see, I just joined a gun club that has PPC, IDPA and USPSA and he thought that the IDPA and PPC looked interesting (me too!). So he is thinking along those lines. I have many pistols for him to use, but he wants his own...can't blame him.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    My motto is "i don't care what you carry, JUST CARRY IT!"
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  14. #13
    Member Array Ceapea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Why? The M&P is thin with the small palm-swell on it... the XD is a little bit more chucky but both are less than a Glock.. Plus shoot as many different types of handguns as you can so you know what you (your son) likes and dislikes.. then you will know exactly what to look for in the purchase
    I agree about handling as many as possible. Me, I'm set with handguns (yeah right), but he doesn't like any of mine. I do like, but do not own an XD, but like so many people that don't like Glocks, I really don't like the M&P myself. Coming from a guy that has a few Glocks, this is gonna sound funny but, I don't like the way the M&P fits my hand. I would have bought one long ago if they did, but they don't. I do have a Sigma though, and love it. I don't think that he knows of my dislike for the M&P, so that is not a factor.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

  15. #14
    Member Array 120mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    448
    I own one, think they shoot fine, and the small backstrap is very slender, in my girlish hands.

    However, I do not like what I hear about long-term reliability. I also do not like the controls, size shape and operation of said controls.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array LongRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    You can get the Storm in several configurations.
    1 Type F: Single and double-action. Decocker. Manual safety.
    2 Type C: Single-action-only ("Constant Action"). Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
    3 Type D: Double-action-only. Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
    4 Type G: Single and double-action. Decocker. No manual safety.
    Thanks for looking that up. Can you provide a link? The .45 seems to only be available in the Type F model.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    My motto is "i don't care what you carry, JUST CARRY IT!"
    The OP is asking about a range gun for his son not a carry gun. That said I personally would not just carry any gun. Some guns are worst than having no gun.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. NC Ice storm
    By TomEgun in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: February 5th, 2010, 07:02 AM
  2. Cx4 Storm
    By mmasteve in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
  3. Beretta's PX4 Storm
    By ppkheat in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: July 29th, 2007, 11:31 AM
  4. N.D. Storm
    By Kid1911 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Search tags for this page

beretta px4 storm reliability

,
beretta px4 vs fnx
,
beretta px4 vs m&p 9mm
,

fnx 9 vs px4

,

fnx vs px4

,
fnx-9 vs px4
,
fnx-9 vs. px4 storm
,

m&p 9 vs px4

,

px4 storm reliability

,
px4 storm vs fnx
,
px4 storm vs m&p
,

px4 vs fnx

Click on a term to search for related topics.