Hey Beretta Guys!!!....

Hey Beretta Guys!!!....

This is a discussion on Hey Beretta Guys!!!.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for opinions: What is the relative carry size/comfort factor of a PX4 9mm as compared to the traditional 92FS 9mm? P.S. I may soon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey Beretta Guys!!!....

Looking for opinions:

What is the relative carry size/comfort factor of a PX4 9mm as compared to the traditional 92FS 9mm?

P.S. I may soon be joining your ranks
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

PX4 is smaller

I just went to the Beretta website and looked at the specs on both guns. The traditional Beretta 92 is:

- 35.3 ounces empty
    - 4.9 inch barrel
    - 8.5 inch total length

The new PX4 is:

- 27.5 ounces empty
    - 4.0 inch barrel
    - 7.59 inch total length

So the PX4 is considerably smaller.

I've never carried a 92 concealed, but I have no problems whatsoever with my Px4.

I do not have or carried a 92, but the Px4 storm carries with no problem. Great pistol!
    Ralph
    NRA Life Member
    "Don't ever confuse being familiar with being safe."

I have carried a 92 off and on (during winter mainly) for years. As a rule I have had no trouble and really like the gun. Just looked at the PX4 the other day and it feels like a great pc of hardware. CC with the 92 is good with the right clothing/holster and the PX4 looks to be even better.
    There are only 2 people I trust in this world and you ain't one of'em!

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    If you don't mind me asking, what have you guys been paying for your Px4's?

My son and I each bought our Px4 (9mm) in April and paid $549. In fact, just the other day, my son was talking about selling his Px4 and getting another pistol. Nothing wrong with his Px4, but he's just that type of person, that wants a different type of handgun.
    Ralph
    NRA Life Member
    "Don't ever confuse being familiar with being safe."

put in an order today

Just put in an order (to my FFL) for the PX4 Storm in 40 S&W. CDNN has them for $440. Download the latest PDF catalog. You'd have to add the xtra your FFL would charge to that.

It is the F model, and a manual safety will NOT do for me. I will be purchasing the conversion kit to a G model (decocker only, no safety) w/ slim profile. Looks like that will run $55.

Couldn't tell how it carries to other Beretta's. Once I get it, I will be sure to post a range report on it. I will not carry it until I convert it to the G model.

Regards,

There is both a 92FS and a PX4 in my home, the first I own, the latter my roommate owns. When it comes down to it, the size really isn't that much different in terms of vertical height. Where the PX4 looses most of it's size is in the barrel length. I'll try to snap some pictures of it this evening with my 92 when he gets home (we keep our weapons locked up or on us).

The only disadvantages I found in the PX4 so far is that it's slightly harder to field strip and reassemble due to the rotating barrel, and it's very top heavy when empty. With a mag in with 14 or so rounds, it feels more balanced.

The only difference in length is really in the barrel. OTherwise it's similar enough to not notice a difference in the other dimensions. It really comes down to personal preference, and my preference is that I'll be waiting for the PX4 Subcompact to arrive before I can justify getting one.

Sojourner....agree with you 100% on the G conversion..I plan on doing the same. Where are you purchasing the kit and how difficult is the install. I am not a "manual safety" guy----for me they get in the way. My safety is my mind, my finger, and my self restraint.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9
    Sojourner....agree with you 100% on the G conversion..I plan on doing the same. Where are you purchasing the kit and how difficult is the install. I am not a "manual safety" guy----for me they get in the way. My safety is my mind, my finger, and my self restraint.
    Well, the gun has not come in yet, but I have found a kit that is available from a member of berettaforums David Olhasso

I'll be ordering when I get back on the 5th. It is for a G conversion w/ low profile.

If you look at beretta forums, you can find a link where it is described how to convert an F (decocker-safety) to a G (decocker only) without the expense of the kit and without the low profile.

VIP Member
    ....berettaforums = http://www.berettaforum.net/

Several newer members here such as Beretta1526, Garg, Age_Ranger, JimmyC, etc., are members there and own the Px4. One member just got a Px4 Type C...with the light DAO (kinda, sorta Glock) trigger! (srfl is extremely jealous!)

They can set you straight with any questions regarding the Px4....if they see this thread.

Dave Olhasso is now the "go to" guy for all things Beretta...replacing Ernest Langdon (former Beretta-smith and employee now working for S&W) for the "go to" title. Dave is great guy willing to help and work with you.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The PX4 is similar in size to a 92 Centurion with the reduced barrel length, but is lighter and thinner in the grip. For me a full size 92 grip always seemed like it was pulling away from my body, where as the PX4 just sits there right up against you like it should be.

The PX4 is a fantastic gun. In all honesty when I found out that they did not take 92 mags I decided I just didn't need to have one. Then I shot a friends. Shortly after that I made him sell it to me because I was so deeply in love I could not wait to find one, did not want anything but that specific gun. Paid him what he had into it so he could go replace it at his leisure and have never looked back.

I also got the low profile "Stealth" kit to convert it to a G and like it very much. It is possible to convert to G without the kit, but it is more hassle and the low profile levers are slick.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Roger that on the manual safety....
    I figure revos do fine w/o, and that's what I carried for long time...
    To carry, one must be able to use there head...
    'Course that being said, 1911 Thumb safety is 2nd nature after bit of practice....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    Roger that on the manual safety....
    I figure revos do fine w/o, and that's what I carried for long time...
    I think that's why all of my handguns except the PX4 are DAO. I've found every gun I've sold had a safety on it, the ones without seem to stick around.

When available I will likely buy a PX4-D Compact to replace my primary carry 92D Compact Type-M.

Guess old wheel gun habits die hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links