Reunited with an old friend,your thoughts and a question

This is a discussion on Reunited with an old friend,your thoughts and a question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That friend being my trusty Colt Cobra wearing its new pachmayr compac grips. I found them at a local shop and they are the ones ...

Thread: Reunited with an old friend,your thoughts and a question

Reunited with an old friend,your thoughts and a question

That friend being my trusty Colt Cobra wearing its new pachmayr compac grips. I found them at a local shop and they are the ones pachmayr made for Colt as they have Colt silver medallions,I think they look great on this gun and they feel even better. I've been pocket carrying it all day and it seems like a nice combo.

I had loaned this gun to my brother but have loaned him another snubbie for his pocket gun duties. So let me know what you guys here think of these grips on my gun and do you think it would be safe to shoot a cylinder or two of Speer gold dot SB 135gr +p .38 ammo out of this gun? I have a couple of boxes of the stuff and know it has a great reputation as SD ammo. My intention is to proof the ammo in my gun to verify POA/POI and recoil impulse. Do you think this would be okay for my Cobra? It is a 3rd issue model made in 1974,thanks for any feedback guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

I would'nt. Unless it says +p on the barrel, i tend to stay on the cautious side. Looks great though.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

The Cobra has an aluminum frame, so I would stick to the standard .38 spl rounds. Colt even suggested limiting the use of +P in the all-steel Detective Special, so I think you would not be doing yourself any favors by using the hotter stuff in the Cobra. Will the gun blow up? No, but even after a cylinder or two of +P the cylinder "window" in the frame might stretch a few thousandths. If you can find any of the Federal "Nyclad", snatch 'em up. That load was designed around snubs and is about the best you'll find in standard pressure.

It's a great gun and the grips are a highly personal decision, so don't be overly swayed by any opinions here. If they work for your hand, then you're good to go.

I do, however, highly recommend the use of a good pocket holster.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks guys and I do use a kramer pocket holster for it. I wouldn't carry a gun in my pocket without one,I know some do but to me its just not a good idea.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Links