Range Report, Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Range Report, Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Range Report, Ruger LCP So, a few weeks back it was time... My wife has sent away for her CCW in Florida and we went ...

Thread: Range Report, Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar

Thumbs up Range Report, Ruger LCP

Range Report, Ruger LCP

So, a few weeks back it was time... My wife has sent away for her CCW in Florida and we went to LGS to Pickout her carry, and I was absolutely certain, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that she should have the Walther PK380, beautiful, little, reasonably effective and affordably priced! What more could you want?

"It is too big!"

So, we tried it on with a half dozen holsters, IWB, OWB, everything I could think of to convice her that this is it, this is the gun for her. "It's too big, I just won't want to carry it!"

Well, I was reminded by the friendly LGS buddy, this isn't my carry gun, it is hers!

And it was the truth. This is her gun. So, I gave in and let her pick her own... well, "her own" turned out to be the LCP.

I won't lie. I was not pleased with the gun, BUT, I was pleased that my wife had found a pistol that she is comfortable with and will carry.

So, finally we get to yesterday... We finally made it to the range.

I WAS AMAZED!!!

This little, under-weight, under--powered, undersized, under-sighted, under-sprung pistol, that I didn't even want in the lock box, SHOT LIKE A DREAM!!!

156 rounds, no FTF, FTE, stove pipes, none of it. Fed every round, fired ever round, hollowpoint and FMJ... and it felt GOOD!

My biggest concern was that it was too light, and would be too snappy for her to be comfortable with... and that it might hurt to shoot, again being so light... not a chance! Felt great, ran like a cheetah!

7 rounds as fast as I could pull it, and center mass at 7yds. I will never complain about this pistol again!

I need to pick up a backup mag, possibly a 10 rd, I see them out there, and
    eventually, I would like to put a Crimson Trace on it(the sights are pretty aoenemic, BUT IM NOT COMPLAINING!!! HAHAHAHA.)

I still want the Walther, but I have to admit that is for me, and currently is about 7th on the list behind a PPS, a Mossy500 and something in .223 (most likely a Ranch Rifle seeing as I'm really not too interested in dropping $1500 on a black rifle right now), a 1911 (possibly a Para Carry 12 if i can find one) some sort of a wheel, 357 maybe, not sure on that one, and id like to get my hands on a SR9C (I swear, I don't work for Ruger) but someday, it will still be mine.

For the time being, I can rest easy that my wife is carrying a darn fine little defense gun that she loves and is comfortable with.
    Last edited by CCWFlaRuger; September 14th, 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

2. Remove Ads

Good choice! My wife carries one. I carry two.

+1 on the CT laser. You can paint the front sight with a base coat of white nail polish, and then two coats of red florescent model paint.

Despite what some say, I find the pistol very shootable, as long as I use the finger extension on the mag.

I also have a Mini 14 Ranch rifle - great carbine for the money.

Congrats!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Congrats, Glad your wife likes Elsipea. Shhhh...Dont tell anyone, but Im thinking about getting one for myself. I really didnt mean all that mousegun bashing Ive done in the past.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    My husband thought the same about this little gun until he shot it.. It is nice.. Very easy to conceal.. Its perfect. I just wish the slide would lock back after the last round.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    My husband thought the same about this little gun until he shot it.. It is nice.. Very easy to conceal.. Its perfect. I just wish the slide would lock back after the last round.
    Honestly, if there was only one feature that this gun doesn't have that I would want, it would be a safety, it is DAO, but that isnt as reassuring as a safety, but again, I'M NOT COMPLAINING
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

The LCP is a nice little pistol. Mine's been giving me some grief, lately. I've got to determine what the problem is; it might be user error. They're definitely the easiest to conceal. I believe that I could carry 6 of them, and no one would notice.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The LCP is a great gun and I'm sure sooner than later you'll be buying one for yourself. It not only shoots great, it's incredibly easy to conceal.

I just picked up an SR9C and love it so far and would recommend it too.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Fine little gun.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

picked up an lcp couple weeks ago... 325.00 out the door...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good report, only you didn't say how the boss did with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Good report, only you didn't say how the boss did with it.
    Do I need to? HAHAHA... She out shoots me every time we go! And she is happy as could be with the LCP as well!
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Wouldn't be my first choice either, but the good thing is that she is carrying something. I thought my Sig P232SL would be a perfect gun for my wife, but she limp wrested the thing every time. She settled on my S&W model 60 and I am pleased with that. For the LCP check out the Gold Dots from BB, it's all I carry in 380 ACP.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links