Need Recommendations for Carry Gun.

This is a discussion on Need Recommendations for Carry Gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Longtime lurker, new poster. I'm a long time gun owner, but only recently decided to commit to regular CC, and will be buying at least ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendations for Carry Gun.

Need Recommendations for Carry Gun.

Longtime lurker, new poster. I'm a long time gun owner, but only recently decided to commit to regular CC, and will be buying at least one gun (maybe a combination of two) for the purpose in the next week or so, after much research and deliberation.

Here are my needs/wants/concerns. I'm a lefty w/small hands. I'm not overly recoil sensitive (own and shoot .357s and 1911s accurately and regularly, and no problem w/a .45 compact in the past), but while I have no problem with "strong" recoil, I can't stand extremely "snappy" recoil in a subcompact. Got rid of a G27 (.40 subcompact) a couple years ago, b/c I hated both the recoil and "block" grip on that thing. No Glocks for me.

I want anything I'll carry to at least be a comfortable enough shooter to practice with occasionally. For reference, most "comforable" feeling grip to me is a 1911 w/slim grips.

Either polymer, alloy or steel would be fine in the right gun. The gun is for carry, so I couldn't care less whether or not it's a "pretty" gun.

I live in TN, and am pretty hot natured, so a heavier gun would only be an option for me to carry about 3 mo. out of the year. No jackets for me indoors, even in the dead of winter, unless the heat is out. Not only do I usu. wear light clothing, I have to work a job requiring my shirt tail tucked in. The last, but related, problem is I sweat like a pig if it's 74 degrees, so blued steel is out. I'm not morbidly obese, but do have a bit of a belly and a small "muffin top" waist, so a larger gun worn high IWB is out as well.

Price range: No high-end custom guns (Bar-Sto, Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat, etc.), but no problem going over $1,000 for the right gun. $1,250-ish is my max. No "cheap" guns on the other end of the price range, but wouldn't object to several guns I know of in the $350-$500 range.

Either revolver or semi-auto is fine. Night sight option a plus. Laser compatibility a must (Sounds like I'm taking out a personal ad, don't it? ).

Ambi-controls not a must on anything except safety on a 1911-style. Like most lefties, I've learned to "adapt".

Prefer more power than a .380 ACP, but not a deal breaker for the right gun.

I know, prolly waaay too much info., but what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice you good folks can give me.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Of all the guns I own, I always go back to my Sig 250 Subcompact in 9mm.. I love to carry that gun, and I love to carry my Glock 36. I know you said no Glock, but, the G36 is single stack, thin, light and a great carry gun down here in Florida. Those are the two staples in my carry line up.

Sig 250 subcompact 9mm:

Glock 36:

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Have you thought about Springfield EMP? (Not sure about the laser though).
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Nice ad

Regarding a heavy gun in hot weather; I live in the desert where triple digits are the norm, the right holster and belt combo will make anything disappear under just a t-shirt.

Your 'ad' has such a broad criteria; pretty much anything, but a Glock, will do.

Get a Browning Hi-Power and a Black Ops Pro... that's it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

First of all, welcome!

Based on how I read your requirements, you should probably consider an M&P or Sig P250. If you don't mind going up a little in weight then add a Sig 239 or something similar to the list. Good luck with your search.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I've been taking a shine to my M&P lately, and I'm a fairly big Glock enthusiast. I think it fits your requirements quite nicely.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Owned and loved the G36 single stack .45, when it worked, but I had so many problems w/the extractor on it I got rid of it and am now a bit shy of getting another one.

Ya'll are being really helpful, and in large measure have confirmed those guns on my list: Springfield EMP (think it takes officer CTC grips), S&W M&P, Sig P239, (and Kahr CW9 or 40, which nobody mentioned). I eliminated the Para LDA PDA b/c it won't take a laser grip due to the non-standard grip screw spacing and no rail.

I have the Kimber Aegis Ultra on the list, too, along w/the EMP, but I do have some concerns about reliability of the 1911 platform when shrunk to that size. Anyone w/experience?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Reading your post i just kept thinking an M&P 9mm or 45ACP compact sounds like something you want to check out... the gun is 99% ambidextrous (yes the mag release is reversible.) light weight, slim.. NOT blocky like a Glock.. night sights is good.. Ambidextrous thumb safety if you want, magazines disconnect or not. My father and I both have Crimson trace laser grips for our M&P's which just replace the backstraps, couldn't get any easier.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The big plus to the M&P is the price, as it's the least expensive gun, along w/the Kahr. If I got the M&P, I'd probably get a snubbie revolver, too, now or soon. I know that at some point, I want a .38 snubbie carry option, and despite the fact I've been a lifelong Ruger revolver fan (my wife loves the S&Ws, :D), I've really been looking hard at the new Smith Bodyguard snub over the Ruger LCR, b/c the Smith has the laser mounted higher on the frame, allowing for a higher hold. The LCR has a Crimson Trace option, but on small revolvers, I choke up my grip, and my thumb gets in the way of a grip laser.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks again, guys.

Walther PPS

If you like slim grips I would point you toward the Walther PPS. The PPS comes in both a 9mm and .40 version and is actually about 1 inch thick. Since you don't like snappy recoil I would recommend that you go with the 9mm version as the .40 version (which I own) is snappy. I carry my PPS down here in the SC heat without any issues. Using a good IWB holster that you can tuck your shirt in with the gun will disappear. Another forum member SirLingPing had a post with pictures of his PPS concealed with a tucked in dress shirt and pants. Also given its size the gun is amazingly accurate.

Here is a link to SirLingPing's post:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ht=Sirlingping

Thanks for the link on the PPS, beni. The PPS was on my list initially, but I had read the gun was top heavy, and it felt that way to me in the store, even w/a full mag. It even looks like there's a bunch of unnecessary metal on top of the slide. That said, a lot of those who bought 'em sure seem to love 'em, and the concealment in those pics is awesome. Grip feels good in my small hand, too. My other concern w/the PPS, though, was that only a rail laser is avail. yet, which reduces holster options. I may PM a few folks here who own them to ask about how they balance.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    If you like slim grips I would point you toward the Walther PPS. The PPS comes in both a 9mm and .40 version and is actually about 1 inch thick. Since you don't like snappy recoil I would recommend that you go with the 9mm version as the .40 version (which I own) is snappy. I carry my PPS down here in the SC heat without any issues. Using a good IWB holster that you can tuck your shirt in with the gun will disappear. Another forum member SirLingPing had a post with pictures of his PPS concealed with a tucked in dress shirt and pants. Also given its size the gun is amazingly accurate.

Here is a link to SirLingPing's post:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ht=Sirlingping

H&k p2000sk

I don't believe the H&K P2000SK has been mentioned, a high quality polymer framed gun available in 9mm, .40 or .357 Sig. The ergonomics and trigger feel are excellent, and it is ambidextrous in its controls.

H&K website

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

ntg
    First, welcome. You'll find a lot of good help here. I love my XD9SC and it's very easy to shoot (recoil, etc.). High capacity for such a small package. I feel it is easy to hide while tucked (via CB supertuck, kholster, etc.). YMMV depending on your build, etc. I'd also look at the PPS. Slimmer, and a good shooter. I'm not sure how I feel about the mag release still, but I feel it's a good weapon. EMPs are soo nice, but as said I don't know about a laser...you'd have to research that.

Good luck and welcome.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

cj
    Another +1 on the M&P compact lines. The ambidextrous controls (well...easily switched, anyway) and variety of grip options out-of-the-box. Good luck on your hunt!

I'd go with the new Smith snubby, or just about any LW 38 snubby over an auto for concealed defensive carry.
    The advantages are many--
    Reliability--no safeties or mag. releases to screw up....they go bang every time. They are reliable when fired from inside a pociet or with the muzzle in contact with
    an attacker.
    Power/weight ratio---to get down to an 11-13 ounce autoloader you have to go to a .380 or smaller.
    Price--both the new Smith and the Ruger LCR, as well as other models used can be acquired for under $500. Of course you can buy a P3AT or Ruger LCP for less,
    but by the time you factor in a couple hundred rounds of ammo to break it in and the possibility of having to buy new springs, mags, etc, that advantage more than disappears.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links