Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911.......hmmmmmmm

This is a discussion on Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911.......hmmmmmmm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally got my XDM sold, and now I'm looking for a new piece. I don't have any 1911's, and I figure it's about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911.......hmmmmmmm

Well I finally got my XDM sold, and now I'm looking for a new piece. I don't have any 1911's, and I figure it's about time I got one. To be honest I would like one in 9mm .....I know I know. But I have never shot a 45, and don't really know what it's like. I actually sold my XDM 40 because I was going to go 9mm, less snap, and mainly cheaper ammo. But I handled the 40 S&W just fine.

Anyway, I was looking at all the 1911's and the shop guy said "hey, check out this beauty, and it's CHEAP for a good gun." It was the Desert Eagle 1911, and boy is she pretty. I will have to say at around $700 it sure did look like a nice gun, but I don't know a lot about 1911's. And this is a new gun, would it be better to stay away from such a new design from MR? Does anyone have any experience with this pistol yet?

TBH, the Kimber Pro Carry II with night sights and tactical rail fit my hand like it was made specifically for it, I couldn't put it down, and it almost went home with me. But they only had it in 45 ACP, and I am giving myself headaches deciding whether or not to get a 9mm or 45......
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Just a little note that may make your decision easier....If you felt comfortable with a .40 than the .45acp is NO sweat !!
    The recoil on a .45acp is easier to handle than a .40 (which is a snappy bugger) I have all .45's & the wife has all 9mm's..
    Although i did own a .40 Glock for awhile, just like the .45acp better....I guess thats just how we roll (lol)
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

This would sort of change my outlook on the Desert Eagle pistols..........I've pretty much always wanted one in 50AE. I've contemplated getting a blued 44Mag at one time for a mere $850 (several years ago and used at that). Not for carry....just to have and have fun with! Interesting them going into the 1911 arena. Kind of like SIG and the GSR. Who can make the best affordable 1911, and what can they do to it that nobody else has since it's inception? (Colt). LOL! A custom? Hey....how much can you improve, or color it different than the original.....and keep the awe-inspiring looks at an 'affordable' level? The tried and true........battle tested weapons that have been around the longest are the most copied today. The 1911, and the M16/AR15. Everybody's making them now. That alone should tell you something. The original and basic designs had a lot more going for them than we realize today. Otherwise, everyone wouldn't be trying to copy them and market them as better than the originals. Change one thing, and you're not infringing on a patent. I'm just sayin'. When I think of any 1911....I think 45ACP. That's the way it was mean to be.

I never really liked the Desert eagles,but a 1911 might be a good change,I have a 1911 in 44 magnum when I want a real handfull
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Does it really come with that big billboard on the side?

GM
    If you can handle the .40 you will not have problems with the .45 ACP. I should get the Kimber.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    It may be just me, but it feels like I get back on target quicker with a 45 than I do with 9mm. Flinging flying ashtrays is just a joy . I'd rent a 45 if I were you, just to be sure.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Go .45 in the 1911 there are so many option let your wallet be your guide.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

From what I hear they are from Charles Daly so use that as your reference.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    With 2011 just around the corner, I guess everyone's jumping on the 1911 bandwagon. Although the 1911 is a proven design, the determining factor is the quality of manufacture. Some are sloppy and others are made with extreme precision. Next time you pick up that Desert Eagle, shake it. If there is a lot of rattle, then the slide to frame fit is poor, which would affect accuracy.
    I've never seen a Kimber with this problem and I've owned 3, the current being a Pro Carry II 4". If that gun was made by Charles Daly, I would pass on it.
    If you're planning on using it for carry, the Kimber with night sights would have a real advantage.
    At this moment, gunbroker.com lists over 700 Kimbers for sale. To give you an example, item 190828613 Kimber 9mm stainless...$979. Item 190850043 Kimber Pro Carry stainless 4" .45...$826.99. Check them out before you decide.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

OD*
    Kahr Arms Purchases Magnum Research, Inc. http://www.magnumresearch.com/docs/k...umresearch.pdf
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    This is the same gun that Charles Daly announced would be its "new"1911. For whatever reason Magnum Research ended up with the gun and, as a result, Charles Daly(KBI) went bellyup or so the story goes. Magnum Research received a lot of bad press on some of the forums because of this. I handled one of them at at a trade show while it was still a Charles Daly idea and was not particularly impressed with anything but the price. Spend a few dollars more and get a Colt or a Kimber in .45 acp.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    This is the same gun that Charles Daly announced would be its "new"1911. For whatever reason Magnum Research ended up with the gun and, as a result, Charles Daly(KBI) went bellyup or so the story goes. Magnum Research received a lot of bad press on some of the forums because of this. I handled one of them at at a trade show while it was still a Charles Daly idea and was not particularly impressed with anything but the price. Spend a few dollars more and get a Colt or a Kimber in .45 acp.

I think that the Charles Daly forum is down now, but IIRC the owner or president of Charles Daly was working with some manufacture overseas in designing a no frills 1911 that was designed from feedback from people on the forum, they had some protypes, etc. and then all of a sudden the manufacture decided to take the idea and I am guessing sell it to Magnum Research. I do not know if there was any agreements in place, etc. Also someone please correct any of this if I am wrong. Thanks and God Bless

Well I got one!!! I found a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm on gunbroker.com, I'm actually afraid to say how much I paid for it! But it is exactly what I wanted, except it doesn't have night sights........can I order night sights for the Pro Carry II in 9mm? They have them on the 45 ACP model? Btw I paid $799 shipped to my dealer, so with a $30 FFL transfer fee the total is $832....I'm thinking that's a steal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links