Talon Grips on Glocks

Talon Grips on Glocks

This is a discussion on Talon Grips on Glocks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now all of my Glocks are free of any aftermarket grips. I had tried the Hogues and Pachmayrs. They felt good but after long ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talon Grips on Glocks

Talon Grips on Glocks

Right now all of my Glocks are free of any aftermarket grips. I had tried the Hogues and Pachmayrs. They felt good but after long range sessions they shifted around too much.

My 3rd generation Glocks feel fine the way they are. I get a nice firm grip on the weapon. For some reason my 2nd generation 19 seems to have a less aggressive grip pattern. It just doesn't feel as rough. I was considering putting some Talon Grips on the 19. I don't have the cash for a new Glock with the RTF.

So let's hear it from the Talon users. I've seen some mixed reviews on youtube, some love them and some say they are too abrasive. I have heard that you can use some sand paper to sand them down a bit to be more comfortable while carrying.

I carry IWB most of the time while off-duty. I do wear a tank top so the grip won't ever be against my skin.

-Will it start to tear up the shirts or wear on them?
    -Do they start to lift after any period of time?
    -How are they to shoot with?

I'm just interested in comments on the Talons, not any type of stippling. The 19 was my first Glock that I was issued by the NYPD. I don't want to do anything permanent to the weapon.

Thanks
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I would say the lack of responses should give you a pretty good answer.
    I personally love the Houge grips and have never experienced any problems with them shifting during shooting. I mean as hard as they are to get on in the first place I don't see how they would ever shift. But I do believe that Hickok45 on YouTube has Talon grips on all of his Glocks and swears by them.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Actually, continued research after my post revealed awesome reveiws. In the 4 years that I've been a member here I know that DC reaches a large number of shooters so I figured I'd post.

I'm glad that the Hogues never shifted for you. My training has led me to some extensive shooting sessions. Yes, the hogues have shifted enough on me to become dangerous. When they creep up to the mag catch there is a chance that it could drop a mag on you. This is why the NYPD forbids any aftermarket slip on grips on all of their duty weapons.

Hickock may have used an older version of the Talons. I'd swear that I heard him say that he just uses regular skateboard tape now and replaces it when it peels. I'll pay a little extra for the neat look of the Talons.

Thanks for your reply. I'm gonna take the plunge for $10.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have talon grips on my G19 and my XD .40 SC and I love them.

I did have a problem with my first set on the 19, they peeled off during shooting. I contacted talon and he responded within a few hours telling me that he had a small batch where the adhesive was bad.

Within 2 days I had a new set in my mailbox and I have not had a problem since.

I really like the grip it provides when shooting. The texture is a little rough against the skin but with an undershirt it shouldn't be a problem.

The only downside I have seen is that when I open carry the grips have rubbed a huge hole in my leather seats

I'm thinking about trying the sanding trick to see if it will help cut down on the texture just a bit.

Overall I'm really happy, and they are only $10 so it's a big deal if they don't work out.

This is what I have been finding out. Most people love them. I ordered them this afternoon. I'll post a review after I shoot with them and carry with them for awhile.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

If I were you, I'd just get one of the rubber 'slip on' grips from Hogue for your 2nd gen G19. First I've actually heard of the Talon grips for Glocks. Heck.....I'm still awaiting wrap around finger groove grips for my P220 SAO! Living with the Hogue slip over grips for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If I were you, I'd just get one of the rubber 'slip on' grips from Hogue for your 2nd gen G19. First I've actually heard of the Talon grips for Glocks. Heck.....I'm still awaiting wrap around finger groove grips for my P220 SAO! Living with the Hogue slip over grips for now.
    I tried the hogues and pachmayrs, they slip around too much after long shooting sessions. I liked the aggressive feel of the RTF and 4th gens. I think the Talons would be comparable.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I got my Talon Grips today. I put them on my 19 and 27. The 23 is in my locker at work, so that one will have to wait. They feel awesome in the hand. Very secure purhcase on the weapon. At this point they don't seem rough enough to wear on my clothes. I guess that time will tell.

They were a perfect fit on my 27. On the 19 I had to cut away at the bottom. The bottom strip goes over the half moon cut out the the 2nd gen compacts have. It was a 30 second fix. The 19 feels much better in my hand now.

I dry fired several times with the 19 and 27. I really like the way the grips feel. I can't wait to shoot with them.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I took mine off my 27. I loved the grip it provided, but that worked against it on my carry gun. My cover garment would stick to the grip too much causing you to always have to adjust you cover garment and draw attention to yourself. I would purchase it for a range gun or home defense gun just not for carrying. IMHO
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    I took mine off my 27. I loved the grip it provided, but that worked against it on my carry gun. My cover garment would stick to the grip too much causing you to always have to adjust you cover garment and draw attention to yourself. I would purchase it for a range gun or home defense gun just not for carrying. IMHO
    It does catch the bottom of my t-shirt. I'm always adjusting my shirts anyway. If it gets to be a bother, I may sand down the outside of the grips a little. Was there any residue on your grip when you took them off?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Hope they work out for you. I don't have any problem with the Gen 3 G30 I have. I didn't like the short-lived RTF2, way too aggressive. The Gen 4 production version is milder and feels much better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    It does catch the bottom of my t-shirt. I'm always adjusting my shirts anyway. If it gets to be a bother, I may sand down the outside of the grips a little. Was there any residue on your grip when you took them off?
    Yes there was but very little and it cleaned off easy enough.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Cool. Thanks.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If I were you, I'd just get one of the rubber 'slip on' grips from Hogue for your 2nd gen G19.
    That's exactly what I've got. My wife and I both like it better than any of the Gen 3 or 4 finger grooved grips and RTF's. They stay put on mine. Even after hours of shooting (400-500 rounds) at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links