Defensive Carry banner

My First Revolver: S&W 638

8K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  46Slick 
#1 ·
I couldn't pass up the deal at my local gun store and decided to buy my first revolver. Smith & Wesson 638 for $399. Plus a $50 S&W mail in rebate and $50 store gift certificate. I'm hoping my wife will carry it instead of a Ruger LCP since the revolver should be much easier for her to use. I really like the option of the shrouded hammer since it allows the possibility of SA.

My next plan is to buy a Crimson Trace LG-405 for it. I have three other Crimson Trace lasers and I think they're a great training tool and just a great tool to have in your tool bag.

A few questions.
1. I read that the DA trigger will smooth out over time. A few Google searches brought up the advice to dry fire it several thousand times. Is there any reason I can't dry fire the 638? Should I buy snap caps?
2. I'm not really familiar with reload options for the revolver. Any suggestions would be great.
3. I'm looking for an OWB holster suggestion. I saw the Don Hume JIT, but wouldn't mind other suggestions.

I'll post up pics as soon as the Crimson Trace comes in along with a range report. I'm actually really excited to finally own a revolver.

See less See more
Reactions: drift and Haywood
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.