Defensive Carry banner

My First Revolver: S&W 638

8K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  46Slick 
#1 ·
I couldn't pass up the deal at my local gun store and decided to buy my first revolver. Smith & Wesson 638 for $399. Plus a $50 S&W mail in rebate and $50 store gift certificate. I'm hoping my wife will carry it instead of a Ruger LCP since the revolver should be much easier for her to use. I really like the option of the shrouded hammer since it allows the possibility of SA.

My next plan is to buy a Crimson Trace LG-405 for it. I have three other Crimson Trace lasers and I think they're a great training tool and just a great tool to have in your tool bag.

A few questions.
1. I read that the DA trigger will smooth out over time. A few Google searches brought up the advice to dry fire it several thousand times. Is there any reason I can't dry fire the 638? Should I buy snap caps?
2. I'm not really familiar with reload options for the revolver. Any suggestions would be great.
3. I'm looking for an OWB holster suggestion. I saw the Don Hume JIT, but wouldn't mind other suggestions.

I'll post up pics as soon as the Crimson Trace comes in along with a range report. I'm actually really excited to finally own a revolver.

See less See more
Reactions: drift and Haywood
#2 ·
Congrats on the new wheelie.:35:You got a great deal. I have a 637. Cost me about $450. Is the 638 an Airweight? I assume its the same as the 637 with the shrouded hammer. I love my 637. I find Im carrying it more than any gun I own. I carry OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa. IWB in a Comp-Tac C-Tac. I also have a Uncle Mikes belt pouch for it. It holds the pistol and two speed strips perfect. Its great for days when I cant carry on my person. You dont need snap caps. I dry fire mine all the time. Im looking for a Crimson Trace for mine also. Who has the best price for CT.

#3 ·
I have a 637. Cost me about $450. Is the 638 an Airweight? I assume its the same as the 637 with the shrouded hammer. I love my 637. I find Im carrying it more than any gun I own. I carry OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa. IWB in a Comp-Tac C-Tac.
- You're correct. It's an airweight and is basically the 637 with the shrouded hammer.

Im looking for a Crimson Trace for mine also. Who has the best price for CT.
- The best prices I've found are on eBay. There are several sellers there with impeccable feedback with great "Buy It Now" prices.

#4 ·
I bought my wife the 637...big mistake, I liked it, but she didn't pick it out.
I've learned, as many others here, let the wife pick out her own firearm.OMO

#8 ·
- Shh. I bought it for "her"... but if she doesn't like it, I'll own a revolver. :wink:

For the price, I just couldn't pass it up. She has her LCP, which she likes, but hates the trigger. I figure that she can at least give it a try and see how she likes it. I know she wasn't a big fan of the LCR when she originally tried that, but that was mainly because her accuracy was terrible with it. Hopefully, the single action trigger will allow her to get more comfortable with aiming with it.

#10 ·
Revolvers are the bomb :hand56:

Don't make us wait for pics :nono:

Reactions: drift
#11 ·
Great choice on revolver.

My wife picked out a 442 and ended up not liking it so I traded her one of my other pistols and I now have the 442. So you never know even if the wife picks one out it still might not work out. Otherwise it would be a great gun for you :wink:

#12 ·
I love my 638. If I would have come across that deal I would now have two. Anyway...I dry fire mine almost daily with no problems and have become very comfortable with the trigger. I did get the laser grips for it and they're pretty cool and all,but I could live without them. I like the speed strips as they are less bulky than the loaders. I carry IWB so I have no experiance with your choice.

#13 ·
Shooters Resource has the best prices on Crimson Trace lasers that I've seen...and super-fast shipping. Just paid $159 for the LCP laser, shipping included.

Do not let your wife shoot the revolver in SA mode. In a defensive situation, she won't use it that way. She needs to get used to the DA trigger. No cheating!:wink:

As far as reloading a revolver under stress...forget it. Seriously - if you carry one, carry two, for a "NY reload." "Speed strips" are slow and clumsy (but thin), while "speed loaders" are faster but bulkier to carry. Maybe carry the snubbie, with the LCP as her "reload."

Wishing her luck with it...and may she never ever need it...:smile:

#14 ·
Hey congrats on the new wheelgun! All us wheelgun fans are always glad to have a new member. I think you will come to enjoy this new gun of yours. Especially when you discover how simple and reliably it operates. As far as a reload goes you're pretty much limited to three options. Either a HKS or Safariland speedloader, Bianchi speedstrip, or a spill pouch containing loose rounds. I generally carry a couple HKS speedloader with me for my reloads unless I need something flatter then I carry a couple of speed strips. Both you and the wife learn to shoot the gun proficently in double action mode since
this is how you most likely would use it in a defensive situation. Carry it, shoot it and you will come to love it!

#15 ·
#16 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions on where to buy the CT. I ended up buying it from the same eBay seller that I previously bought a few from (buckndoes). Very fast shipping (2 days) and a little cheaper than the stores suggested.

I installed the CT grips in about 5 minutes. They feel much better than the stock grips. My wife went from feeling ambivalent with the stock grips to very excited. She loved the grips. Now I just have to get to the range for some quality shooting time with her.

Here's a picture with the CT LG-405 installed.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Reactions: bsms2
#18 · (Edited)
My first Wheelgun as well.. The Model 638

I spent an entire evening and night looking for a revolver to carry while and as an alternate to my Taurus TCP. (Yes it jams..working on breaking it in)
I was looking at the cheaper variations. The Rossi, the Taurus 85, EAA etc but thought..... let me look and hold them as well.
So I went to a local "Walmart" like super gun shop and was turned off immediately by the higher retail prices but most particularly here, the place
was like a circus. So I looked and ran past the Kimber case and found and held the S&W air line and decided on a 638 from all of them.
I wanted the option to go SA if I had a mind.
I decide to go to the very first gun store I had ever been too in this state and found the S&W guns in the case. The place was much smaller
and the lady and guys behind the counter weren't assuming or pushy and so... I convinced myself to take the plunge. The 638 even had the pink grips
installed. LOL.

I don't know much from revolvers, I'm not a complete stranger to firearms but they seem much more reliable in the pinch.

Talk later! :danceban:

Bob
I changed back to the black see...
Revolver Gun Starting pistol

#21 ·
I have a 638 I bought from a friend. He installed lighter springs in it for his wife. Very nice but it takes some time to get good with it.

#23 ·
I tried the Wilson springs in mine but immediately went back to the stock springs. The Wilson springs made the SA pull way too light. My 638 is very accurate. I'm glad I chose it over the hammerless version. It's nice to have that SA option.
I'd like to hear more suggestions about holsters. I've been using an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I forget it's in my pocket.
Does anyone use speedloaders? I have two speed strips. Might try a speedloader.

#29 ·
Take a 3M Scotchbrite (green) scrubbie pad to that grip and those bench grinding lines will, with a little elbow grease,...disappear. :yup:

#28 ·
I carry mine in a Galco PH158. It's a pocket holster of extremely tough, horse hide construction. 8 years and I'm not even sure it's broken in yet. That's also the down side, it takes a while to form fit to your pocket and the curvature of your thigh. But you'll probably never need to buy another pocket holster for the j frames. I suspect a little creative coaxing would allow you to bind it and bend it when not carrying to speed the break in process. Retention and draw have been flawless.

The top edge of this holster, over the years, has worn on the finish of the Airweight. Initially this bothered me but I'm well past that. Pocket carry is hard on your gear, period. Here on the farm my hardware gets a bit of an extra beating as well. EDC and pristine condition are concepts opposed to one another.

I'm normally a bit picky about my holsters and a bag-o-holster off the display rack isn't going home with me. This Galco has been a great exception.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.