My First Revolver: S&W 638

This is a discussion on My First Revolver: S&W 638 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I couldn't pass up the deal at my local gun store and decided to buy my first revolver. Smith & Wesson 638 for $399. Plus ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Revolver: S&W 638

My First Revolver: S&W 638

I couldn't pass up the deal at my local gun store and decided to buy my first revolver. Smith & Wesson 638 for $399. Plus a $50 S&W mail in rebate and $50 store gift certificate. I'm hoping my wife will carry it instead of a Ruger LCP since the revolver should be much easier for her to use. I really like the option of the shrouded hammer since it allows the possibility of SA.

My next plan is to buy a Crimson Trace LG-405 for it. I have three other Crimson Trace lasers and I think they're a great training tool and just a great tool to have in your tool bag.

A few questions.
    1. I read that the DA trigger will smooth out over time. A few Google searches brought up the advice to dry fire it several thousand times. Is there any reason I can't dry fire the 638? Should I buy snap caps?
    2. I'm not really familiar with reload options for the revolver. Any suggestions would be great.
    3. I'm looking for an OWB holster suggestion. I saw the Don Hume JIT, but wouldn't mind other suggestions.

I'll post up pics as soon as the Crimson Trace comes in along with a range report. I'm actually really excited to finally own a revolver.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new wheelie.You got a great deal. I have a 637. Cost me about $450. Is the 638 an Airweight? I assume its the same as the 637 with the shrouded hammer. I love my 637. I find Im carrying it more than any gun I own. I carry OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa. IWB in a Comp-Tac C-Tac. I also have a Uncle Mikes belt pouch for it. It holds the pistol and two speed strips perfect. Its great for days when I cant carry on my person. You dont need snap caps. I dry fire mine all the time. Im looking for a Crimson Trace for mine also. Who has the best price for CT.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I have a 637. Cost me about $450. Is the 638 an Airweight? I assume its the same as the 637 with the shrouded hammer. I love my 637. I find Im carrying it more than any gun I own. I carry OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa. IWB in a Comp-Tac C-Tac.
    - You're correct. It's an airweight and is basically the 637 with the shrouded hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Im looking for a Crimson Trace for mine also. Who has the best price for CT.
    - The best prices I've found are on eBay. There are several sellers there with impeccable feedback with great "Buy It Now" prices.

I bought my wife the 637...big mistake, I liked it, but she didn't pick it out.
    I've learned, as many others here, let the wife pick out her own firearm.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

my edc is asw638...with a lobo owb holster and a wilderness belt ..super lightweight...very comfortable!!!

You got a good one! In 1970, I bought an almost new M38 for would you believe $50? Shot a fair bit, carried many miles and still shoots good. Hope yours gives you as good service as mine has me!

The 638 is the ugliest revolver youwill ever love..LOL.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I bought my wife the 637...big mistake, I liked it, but she didn't pick it out.
    I've learned, as many others here, let the wife pick out her own firearm.OMO
    - Shh. I bought it for "her"... but if she doesn't like it, I'll own a revolver.

For the price, I just couldn't pass it up. She has her LCP, which she likes, but hates the trigger. I figure that she can at least give it a try and see how she likes it. I know she wasn't a big fan of the LCR when she originally tried that, but that was mainly because her accuracy was terrible with it. Hopefully, the single action trigger will allow her to get more comfortable with aiming with it.

I would pick up a few speed loaders, either Comp I's or HKS. I prefer the Safariland.

Revolvers are the bomb

Don't make us wait for pics
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Great choice on revolver.

My wife picked out a 442 and ended up not liking it so I traded her one of my other pistols and I now have the 442. So you never know even if the wife picks one out it still might not work out. Otherwise it would be a great gun for you
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I love my 638. If I would have come across that deal I would now have two. Anyway...I dry fire mine almost daily with no problems and have become very comfortable with the trigger. I did get the laser grips for it and they're pretty cool and all,but I could live without them. I like the speed strips as they are less bulky than the loaders. I carry IWB so I have no experiance with your choice.

Shooters Resource has the best prices on Crimson Trace lasers that I've seen...and super-fast shipping. Just paid $159 for the LCP laser, shipping included.

Do not let your wife shoot the revolver in SA mode. In a defensive situation, she won't use it that way. She needs to get used to the DA trigger. No cheating!

As far as reloading a revolver under stress...forget it. Seriously - if you carry one, carry two, for a "NY reload." "Speed strips" are slow and clumsy (but thin), while "speed loaders" are faster but bulkier to carry. Maybe carry the snubbie, with the LCP as her "reload."

Wishing her luck with it...and may she never ever need it...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I couldn't pass up the deal at my local gun store and decided to buy my first revolver. Smith & Wesson 638 for $399. Plus a $50 S&W mail in rebate and $50 store gift certificate. I'm hoping my wife will carry it instead of a Ruger LCP since the revolver should be much easier for her to use. I really like the option of the shrouded hammer since it allows the possibility of SA.

My next plan is to buy a Crimson Trace LG-405 for it. I have three other Crimson Trace lasers and I think they're a great training tool and just a great tool to have in your tool bag.

A few questions.
    1. I read that the DA trigger will smooth out over time. A few Google searches brought up the advice to dry fire it several thousand times. Is there any reason I can't dry fire the 638? Should I buy snap caps?
    2. I'm not really familiar with reload options for the revolver. Any suggestions would be great.
    3. I'm looking for an OWB holster suggestion. I saw the Don Hume JIT, but wouldn't mind other suggestions.

I'll post up pics as soon as the Crimson Trace comes in along with a range report. I'm actually really excited to finally own a revolver.
    Hey congrats on the new wheelgun! All us wheelgun fans are always glad to have a new member. I think you will come to enjoy this new gun of yours. Especially when you discover how simple and reliably it operates. As far as a reload goes you're pretty much limited to three options. Either a HKS or Safariland speedloader, Bianchi speedstrip, or a spill pouch containing loose rounds. I generally carry a couple HKS speedloader with me for my reloads unless I need something flatter then I carry a couple of speed strips. Both you and the wife learn to shoot the gun proficently in double action mode since
    this is how you most likely would use it in a defensive situation. Carry it, shoot it and you will come to love it!
    God & Guns!

Congrats on the wheel gun The 638 was my first revolver and I loved it so much I bought a 438!
    For the CT grips just go to Google and search LG-405 and click on shopping....
    http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...e&ved=0CBcQ_AU
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links