Extended Slide Stop OK on 9mm 1911?

This is a discussion on Extended Slide Stop OK on 9mm 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to put an extended slide stop on my Kimber Pro Carry II 9mm. I know that Wilson Combat makes great products, and ...

Thread: Extended Slide Stop OK on 9mm 1911?

I would like to put an extended slide stop on my Kimber Pro Carry II 9mm. I know that Wilson Combat makes great products, and have included the link below to what I am thinking about purchasing. It states that it is for 1911 45 ACP guns, the only difference is that mine is a 9mm....does that really matter? Everything is the same, I believe, in the 45 and 9 except for the barrel and Magazine....

Thanks for the help, has anyone ever installed one of these on their Kimber?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

JD
    Administrator
    Yes it does matter, and no you don't really need one.

The internal dimensions are different as cartridge size is different thus the parts of the magazine are different. The follower of the 9mm mag may not be wide enough to make contact with the slide stop causing the slide to lock open.

While I am normally of the opinion that standard extended controls are OK for carry, an extended slide stop may catch on the holster or other clothing on the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yes it does matter, and no you don't really need one.

The internal dimensions are different as cartridge size is different thus the parts of the magazine are different. The follower of the 9mm mag may not be wide enough to make contact with the slide stop causing the slide to lock open.

While I am normally of the opinion that standard extended controls are OK for carry, an extended slide stop may catch on the holster or other clothing on the draw.
    Good advice actually. You want to know the truth, and what I think? The 9mm and the 1911 are contradictions in terms. There's no such thing as a 1911 9mm as far as I'm concerned. Any 1911 is a 45ACP. I'm not apologizing for what they've done, just trying to maintain the status quo. 9mm doesn't exist in a 1911 pistol, and for good reason. Call it what you want to, but it will never be real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good advice actually. You want to know the truth, and what I think? The 9mm and the 1911 are contradictions in terms. There's no such thing as a 1911 9mm as far as I'm concerned. Any 1911 is a 45ACP. I'm not apologizing for what they've done, just trying to maintain the status quo. 9mm doesn't exist in a 1911 pistol, and for good reason. Call it what you want to, but it will never be real.
    Then what kind of gun is it? lol

JD: Very good advice, a good reason to keep the stock configuration.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    As JD said, it won't work. You actually might find an extended thumb safety and mag release to your advantage.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yeah, you're right, and never mind the fact that Colt's been making 1911's in 9mm for over half a century, that doesn't mean anything.

I have several 1911s - in .45, .38 Super, AND 9mm (which I carry on duty) - I see no reason for an extended slide stop on any of them. The only advantage to an extended slide stop is more leverage to use it as a slide release. The slide stop is intended to be just that, a stop/hold open device, not a release. Leave the original in there and train to pull back on the slide to release it.

When I've had questions about Wilson parts, I gave them a call. I think you'll find them to be more than helpful.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Most holster makers tend to use stock guns to make their holsters with. Adding an extended anything may cause the weapon to not fit the holster correctly or in the case of mag releases or safeties cause them to activate or deactivate at the wrong time.
    WC145 is correct. Under stress you may or may not be able to find the slide stop because fine motor skills, like finding little levers, tend to go away and you are left with gross motor skills only. Train yourself to grab the back of the slide and release it if at slide lock or to retract the slide the same way to chamber a round if needed.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Extended slide stops are an invitation to malfunctions. The little bit of extra mass in the extended stop is likely to make it "think for itself" and go to premature lockback on occasion. Besides, the correct way to drop the slide off the stop is with the left thumb, not the right, or to "slingshot" it, as described above.

As for it not being a 1911 if it is not a .45, the Super .38s would contradict that. I have a 5" Aegis that I converted to 9x23 that is dead-reliable, a joy to shoot, and is very 1911-ish, regardless of whether is is technically a 1911.

Sponsored Links