LCR and PF9 at the range today... and a scary surprise!

This is a discussion on LCR and PF9 at the range today... and a scary surprise! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a day off today, so I got up early and headed out to our local range to put some rounds through my Kel-Tec PF9 ...

Thread: LCR and PF9 at the range today... and a scary surprise!

LCR and PF9 at the range today... and a scary surprise!

Had a day off today, so I got up early and headed out to our local range to put some rounds through my Kel-Tec PF9 and my wife's LCR. The KT has right at a thousand rounds through it, and the LCR has a couple of hundred or so through it. I started off with the LCR, and man do I love this gun! I am not a great shot, but I was suitably impressed that I was able to keep all of my shots on a paper plate at 15 yards, drawing from my pocket holster and firing quick aimed shots. I shot up about a half-box of WWB jacketed rounds, and then a 25 round box of PDX1 +P hollow-points. The +Ps had considerably more recoil, but were still quite manageable.

The PF9 has never given me problems, aside from one FTE I had early on. Today, I shot two 50 round boxes of Remington UMC FMJs, with no problems. Then I switched over to some PDX1 147 grain JHPs (non +P), and this is where things changed. My first magazine full worked flawlessly, with good accuracy (POI was a bit lower than POA compared to the 115 or 124 grain bullets I usually use). The fourth round in my second magazine, however, gave me a bit of a shock. When I pulled the trigger, I thought the pistol had exploded in my hand! The report and flash from the gun were tremendous, and I had serious pain in my thumb from the recoil. Guys from two and three lanes down from me came over to see what had happened, and the guy next to me said he saw the gout of flame out of the corner of his eye.

When I recovered a bit, I looked at the pistol, and it seemed fine, except the round had failed to extract, and the next round had jammed up in the chamber. I had to use a dowel rod and a mallet to drive the spent round out of the chamber, and there was a kind of bulge at the primer. The only thing I can think of was the shell was overcharged, or perhaps the bullet had been seated too deeply, but it scared the heck out of me. I have looked at all the remaining shells, and they look fine. I packed it up at that point and headed home, but now I wonder if I should send my KT in to have it checked out before I fire it again.

All-in-all, I continue to be pleased with both of these guns. Looks like I may be switching back to Critical Defense or PowRBalls, though.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

2. Remove Ads

Please do contact Kel-tec and the ammo mfg. The ammo MFG may want the hole box back and generally will replace anything they take. Kel-tec will always repair the gun so call and send it in (one of the best customer service experience in the business).

I'm glad you are OK.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    get it checked!!! a bulge like that could expand your breech and cause a catastrophic failure next time you fire it, no need to take it back to the factory, just have a gunsmith look it over,
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

GM
    I agree, get the gun checked.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Sounds like an overcharge cartridge. Glad you're OK. Hope you kept the bulged shell casing - ammo maker will likely want to look at it.

Guns can fail. Ammo can fail. Good reason to carry a back-up!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Yeah. Get it checked. Better safe than sorry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Scary. Overcharged I would guess. Brass ballooned way out - no extraction and bulged the primer, overpressured for sure! Would expect if it was seated to deep you would have noticed anything significant there. Interesting that the little gun did not come apart.

Factory ammo can be bad, rare, but it can be. Buddy was loading factory 40 a couple of weeks ago and two rounds were seated WAY to deep.

People always warn against reloads, but if you are extremely diligent with the right equipment you get better results than factory.

You're OK and that is the best part.

Glad you weren't hurt. That's also saying something in regards to kel tecs holding together even after an overloaded charged round. I would call kel tec and let them know what took place and how their gun did hold up without catastophic failure. By the way PF9's are known not to like 147 rounds. Stay with 115 or 124.

Links