Pocket Pistol for the wife???

This is a discussion on Pocket Pistol for the wife??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok so my wife has decided she would like a VERY SMALL little pistol for her purse or pocket or just a small little something ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistol for the wife???

Pocket Pistol for the wife???

ok so my wife has decided she would like a VERY SMALL little pistol for her purse or pocket or just a small little something close by at night....

anyway i have showed her pics of these firearms....

Micro Desert Eagle
    Beretta 3032 Tomcat
    NAA Guardian
    Ruger LCP
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Kahr Arms P380
    Sig Sauer P238
    Taurus TCP
    S&W BODYGUARD 380
    Diamondback DB380

so whats your advice on any of these? mind you this will be a gun she will fire once a month or so to keep steady with it, and a gun to keep her happy. they all seem to be the same size roughly....the Sig seems to be hard to find...and the Micro Eagle is kinda pricey and the Kahr is priced like its made out of platinum.

whats your opinions on what will be better for her?? i guess price is based on performance really i dont want crap, but i really dont want to spend a ton.

thanks guys!!

EDIT....added 2 more thanks to those of you that gave input
    Last edited by bryman; September 22nd, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

2. Remove Ads

1. ruger LCP
    2 NAA 380 Guardian (although they're a bit heavy due to stainless steel construction.
    3. Kel tac P3AT

To be honest with you, The Store sells a GREAT many S&W 642 38 Spl revolvers to Women, because they're relable, powerful, and yet easy to handle
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

i love the S&W revolvers.............BUT the price...........WOAH...plus she isint to keen on the revolver style.......i had a revolver a while ago she hated the feel of it.
    John Wayne

I don't know what type of pants your wife wears, but my wife can't even fit a Seecamp in her pockets. She definitely can't fit a Ruger LCP in her pocket. The pockets in women's jeans and pants are ridiculously small.

That being said, I would rent a few of the guns if possible and see which one she likes. She may really dislike the trigger or recoil on several of those guns. My wife usually carries a Ruger LCP (with Crimson Trace) in an OWB holster. I just bought a S&W 638 to see if she likes that better. A revolver is definitely a lot simpler to operate.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I really like the Ruger lcp. Its nice to shoot and easy to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I really like the Ruger lcp. Its nice to shoot and easy to carry.
    Good choice! I'm glad you posted on this, as input from a lady who owns one, would help ease the decision process
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

First I have to ask, does your wife have experience shooting and if so has she fired any of the small pcoket pistols you mentioned ??? If not, you may want her to try so she can see if she will like it or can handle it. A few months back I was at a range where a lady bought a Ruger LCP but had never fired it and this was going to be the first time. She shot one magazine and then asked me if I wanted to purchase her gun from her for a cheap price as she did NOT like the recoil of the small gun. I declined and she ended up going downstairs to the gun shop to see if she can trade it in for something larger. I hope this helps. God Bless

I prefer the LCP but try out some guns at the range and help her decide. Every person has a different feel for guns and what fits their hands best.

LCP, Kel Tec, Kahr, Sig That order. I have a LCP and have shot the others owned by friends. The order I placed them in is the order in which my wife preferred them. She shot all of them and when I got my LCP she got one as well. She liked the weight, trigger and slide of the LCP as well as the fact that she shot that one the best.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I don't know what type of pants your wife wears, but my wife can't even fit a Seecamp in her pockets. She definitely can't fit a Ruger LCP in her pocket. The pockets in women's jeans and pants are ridiculously small.

That being said, I would rent a few of the guns if possible and see which one she likes. She may really dislike the trigger or recoil on several of those guns. My wife usually carries a Ruger LCP (with Crimson Trace) in an OWB holster. I just bought a S&W 638 to see if she likes that better. A revolver is definitely a lot simpler to operate.
    Yes women's pant pockets are made small. Some of my pant pockets the lcp wont fit in but some of my pants it will. It fits very well in my small purse. But I really don't like the thought of carrying it in my purse, but I have carried like that. For me the LCP is very easy to carry. Also I wouldn't go any smaller than a .380.

The Kahr and the Sig are my first choice because they come with real usable sights. The Sig is a SAO and nto the best choice for an occasional shooter. I also suggest that you look at the S&W Bodyguard 380 with Insight integral laser...just read an interesting article on them in Combat Handguns. They say iti s basically engineered as a Mini M&P. Should be on your list. Overall on your list I think the Kahr would be my pick.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

thanks everyone for your input................she has Never shot anything this small, but she has shot my XD's and my old police issue Beretta 9mm she REALLY liked my Beretta wasn't a big fan of the XD, says it was too big for her hand. also this gun will mostly be in her purse i just asked her....she says "id rather put it in a cute little holder that would match my coach bag" go figure....

also im new to this small size of ammo, is a .38 and a .380 ACP similar?
    John Wayne

No, they're not similar. A .38 special is slightly more powerful, but a .38 +P is significantly more powerful. There is a lot of discussion on this forum about the differences between the two. Do a quick search and you'll find a lot of good material that can help sway your preference; one way or the other.

My wife uses an LCP. Nice little gun, but I find that the S&W 442 is easier for me to shoot. My wife shoots them both well, and has actually commandeered my 442, lately.

If you can't pocket carry, try one of these
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It is not on your list, but a Seecamp .32 might be an option. Size wise they can't be beat. Also a little hard to find, but it can be done. Also not the cheapest. A .380 is made but much harder to find and expensive compared to some others.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    1. Ruger LCP
    2. Kel-Tec P-3AT
    3. Taurus TCP
    4. Beretta Tomcat

Of all these handguns, I think that she can pull off pocket carry only with the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P-3AT since women's pants are usually tighter and have slimmer pockets than men's. Therefore, I would recommend you advice her towards carrying her gun Inside the Waistband (Crossbreed MiniTuck) or with a leather holster handbag made by Galco. If I had to pick one from your list, I would say definitely go with the Ruger LCP.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links